John Kavanagh Questions McGregor's Motivation; Says He'll Have to be Convinced to Train Him Again

Kavanagh brings up many good points. Here are his comments:

From the sounds of it, Kavanagh just needs to be convinced that Conor McGregor is properly motivated for any future bouts.

“Honestly? I don’t know. Will he fight again? I don’t know,” Kavanagh said (h/t MMANytt). “I know him as a person and know that coming off two losses — even though one was boxing — will be hard for him. But he’s 30, two kids, and has a big whiskey deal that’s making him more money than fighting ever did.

“Would you get up in the morning to be punched in the face? I don’t think so,” Kavanagh continued. “But he’ll probably call me tomorrow and say: ‘What did you say that for? I’m fighting in March.’ So I don’t know.”

“He would certainly have to convince me to go again. Yeah, I love him. I love the whole journey we’ve had but I’d need a good ‘why’. It might be [Nate] Diaz again because he promised that fight. It might be a rematch with Khabib [Nurmagomedov]. But if it was just: ‘Well, they want me to fight that guy’ I think I’d say, ‘I wish you the best.’

“He has a wife and two kids now and I don’t want him taking more hits than he needs to,” Kavanagh concluded. “Khabib hit him with a punch in that fight that he has never been hit with in his career. And even Superman slows down at some stage.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ed-to-train-conor-mcgregor-for-another-fight/

How do you guys feel about this?

this is all lifted by bjpenn from the original interview in the indi yesterday , the full interview is worth reading (rather than snippets lifted from it)

the selective quoting by bjp also misses out the context which was Kav telling him after the Mayweather fight to call it a day and retire

https://www.independent.ie/sport/mm...-sport-and-most-notorious-pupil-37607552.html

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/p...th-sbgs-john-kavanagh.3877895/#post-147347835

people fight to make money when they have no other options.. Conor makes a ton and really has no reason to keep fighting.... So I get what he is saying.

He will fight again, and lose again, and that'll be all she wrote.

What do I think?

I think Kavanagh is smarter than I thought.

I wonder how much john actually made off conor. Couple of million or much more. I think conor should come back for the nate fight then retire.

conor writes the forward to johns new book and he's convinced

Just an idea but maybe Conor finally realises he needs to change camps. Kavanaugh just trying to help Conor save face by saying he doesn't want to train him anymore.

Kavanagh would sell his mother for money. This is all bullshit to cover his pupil failure. He ll train him to get his pay check as usual.

If Conor was training in some serious camp and not surrounded by YES men like Kavanagh maybe then his wrestling would be better because he would actually train it.

Everything Conor did was purely on his own talent. Same as Ronda. Edmund and Irish Edmund had nothing to do with it.

Makes perfect sense and its pretty much the same ting Conor has been saying since before he was famous. It's probably the biggest thing that brings great fighters down from their perches. The drive to stay at the top pales in comparison to the desire to get there.

TriStar ?

I would love for Conor to train with Firas. They could teach Conor so much, plus he'd be a great sparring partner for GSP, Rory, and all those guys.

Is kavanagh right? Sure.

Is he right to say this shit in an interview? No fucking way. He should save that crap for after Conor announces his retirement officially. Then he can say all the shit he wants in a book that he'll make plenty of money off of.

From what I recall, Conor basically ghosted him after the Khabib fight, to drink and do drugs. Might have something to do with Kavanagh saying this.

I would love for Conor to train with Firas. They could teach Conor so much, plus he'd be a great sparring partner for GSP, Rory, and all those guys.
Would indeed be perfect for is fighting style.

He needs to change camps bad.

JK is a smart person and is absolutely right.

Fighting is dangerous in the short and especially long term. You do it professionally to achieve and to earn ... Conor has achieved multiple championships and superstardom, as well as earned enough to live lavishly for a few generations.

So the only reason to fight again should be a major opportunity for achievement and earning, supported by real desire and absolute dedication to prepare optimally.

That seemed to already lack somewhat in the Khabib fight ... and unless Conor finds some unshakable motivation it’s only going to get worse with age and posh lifestyle.

So JK analysis makes perfect sense.

PS: if Conor was to never fight again he would have done exactly what he always said he wished to do ... win world championships, be a superstar, earn record sums and get out young and healthy. Hats off!

Back