News Grizzly kills 2 people in Banff

Sounds like they were in their tent when the bear attacked.
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2023/10/4/1_6588878.amp.html

He said the parks team found the tent had been crushed with their e-readers inside.

The couple, he added, was found outside the tent.

"They were in stocking feet, so that's not normal. It was wet outside. It had been snowing."

I

You may want to consider a 357 with a "6in barrel. There are some heavy bear loads available in this caliber. The weight and length of the barrel softens the recoil to almost being non existent, which means your follow up shot is right there when you need it. Revolver always go bang as well. That de jams and you will for sure experience what a bear is capable of doing to a human being.
I have a 357 SW revolver. A great gun .

Predatory bears are great at ambushing. Even non predatory bears who simply stumble across you by surprise will give you little time to grab your piece and fire off accurately enough.

Ive read about accounts where multiple hunters were ambushed and brutally hurt by the time a single shot was fired off. Grizzlies are fast. Also, the shock in the midst of an attack is usually enough to fuck with most peoples nerves and reflexes.

Grizzlies have also been known to take multiple shots but still stampede at you, driven by adrenaline. They would probably bleed out and die, but not before inflicting some serious damage on you first.

These are truly scary beasts if they wanna be.

I agree with most of that. If suprised ambushed you're fucked no matter what. Of course nerves plays a part.

Just IMO there's only 3 animals I can think of that a DE 50 cal wouldn't likely stop from charging that's a Rhino, Elephant, Hippo. A grizzly is a bad ass beast but there is levels

Last edited:
Damn, that's horrible I feel for the victims and their families. I often wonder if people like these were aware of the danger or oblivious.

Were they somewhat prepared but all prep and actions failed or were they walking about armed with nothing more than their wits?

I agree with most of that. If suprised ambushed you're fucked no matter what. Of course nerves plays a part.

Just IMO there's only 3 animals I can think of that a DE 50 cal wouldn't likely stop from charging that's a Rhino, Elephant, Hippo. A grizzly is a bad ass beast but there is levels

Im pretty sure thats not even legal to carry here in Canada.

When I camp in Grizzly country . I bring spray , an AR 15 (for smaller predators) and a Dersert Eagle in case of Grizzly. Only issue is I need to be within 25 ft to hit anything with that hand cannon . Hope I never need to test it but I seriously don't a Griz keeps rushing after bei g hit with a .50 cal. Never ran into a Grizz tho Black and Brown bears but never an actual Grizz . Closet I ever came was I think I saw one about 200 yards down stream but it ran off when I used a banger. Dunno. Still doubt a Grizzly keep rushing g you after beibg hit with .50 cal. I could get likely 2 shots off at 25 ft. Pretty sure I could hit the head at least once. Bear isn't winning that battle.

Ya, you aren't getting 2 good shots off at a charging grizzly or likely hitting it in the head. Especially if it surprises you. I guess if you had your gun out b/c you hear it or were nervous, then maybe. But if you just stumbled upon it in the woods it can cover that 25 feet in less than 1 second. It would be on you before you even realized it. Hopefully it would try to eat your legs and butt first so you could reach your gun and shoot it while it was mauling you.

But ya, rather have something to fight with vs nothing

Damn, that's horrible I feel for the victims and their families. I often wonder if people like these were aware of the danger or oblivious.

They are. It's like surfing with sharks. The odds are very slim that you'll be attacked, so most just risk it.

Personally, I'd rather go down to the Titanic on "Ocean Gate v2", than camp with grizzlies. At least if that thing malfunctions, I won't feel a thing.

Man I’m not gonna argue with you, but if you can hit a charging bear’s bouncing head with a Desert Eagle within 1 second during a tremendously tense experience. You sir are Rambo.

Not even making a joke. Chris Kyle, Rambo, John Wick ain’t got shit on you.

Seriously man, hitting a target moving at speeds you’ve never experienced in 2 seconds is next to impossible.
Ya, you aren't getting 2 good shots off at a charging grizzly or likely hitting it in the head. Especially if it surprises you. I guess if you had your gun out b/c you hear it or were nervous, then maybe. But if you just stumbled upon it in the woods it can cover that 25 feet in less than 1 second. It would be on you before you even realized it. Hopefully it would try to eat your legs and butt first so you could reach your gun and shoot it while it was mauling you.

But ya, rather have something to fight with vs nothing
I'm not talking about stumbling on one if that happens you're fucked . However if I had my gun already drawn an trained on target at 25 ft I like my chances of living better than Bears. Maybe not a head ahot but a vital Area enough to seriously wound it then after I hopefully got the fuck out of the way of its momentum get a few more shots till dead . Yeah there's no chance if your gun is in your holster

I'm not talking about stumbling on one if that happens you're fucked . However if I had my gun already drawn an trained on target at 25 ft I like my chances of living better than Bears. Maybe not a head ahot but a vital Area enough to seriously wound it then after I hopefully got the fuck out of the way of its momentum get a few more shots till dead . Yeah there's no chance if your gun is in your holster

That's a great point. Ya, if you heard the bear and had your gun out , you should be able to get a few shots on center mass before it gets to you. Hit some lungs/heart hopefully. Or at least make it think twice before it continues to charge.

They are. It's like surfing with sharks. The odds are very slim that you'll be attacked, so most just risk it.

Personally, I'd rather go down to the Titanic on "Ocean Gate v2", than camp with grizzlies. At least if that thing malfunctions, I won't feel a thing.

I guess my question is "Are they aware enough to take it seriously" or "Are they blissfully ignorant that they really can get mauled to death"? Some people carry bear spray, a gun, or at least aware enough to mitigate the danger.

Then there's others who think of furry animals as peaceful creatures we should be sharing nature with and venture out into the woods with a bag of trail mix and at best a walking stick.

That's a great point. Ya, if you heard the bear and had your gun out , you should be able to get a few shots on center mass before it gets to you. Hit some lungs/heart hopefully. Or at least make it think twice before it continues to charge.
Still best things to carry in Grizz country is bear spray an noise makers. If your carryin a gun it better be a high caliber or even if you hit it your BEARly hurting it an just making it more angry. Noise makers work most of the time if you see them from a distance and bear spray is very effective in most cases.

The wild is still untamed and scary. I'd love to see the Canadian Rockies but there's too many Sasquatch & Bears.

Experienced back country hikers and their dog taken out by female bear. Struggle ensued; two cans of bear spray released. Bear also attacked emergency workers upon arrival.

"A family member of the couple fatally attacked by a grizzly bear during a backcountry camping trip in Banff National Park said the two were long-time partners who loved each other and the outdoors.

Speaking on behalf of the victims' families, Colin Inglis identified his nephew Doug Inglis, 62, and Jenny Gusse, 62, as the two backcountry campers killed deep in Banff National Park Friday. Their dog was also killed in the attack.

Inglis said the two lived in Lethbridge, Alta., and they had been together since university. He said they were on day five of a week-long trip, and would go out at least twice a year — often in the spring and fall. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bear-attack-parks-canada-1.6985580

Banff-National-Park-Alberta-Canada-World-Heritage-1984.jpg

Hate it for the couple - they knew and accepted the risk. RIP to both.

Back