News Grizzly kills 2 people in Banff

Just went in a nature park today that had a “caution: bear in area” sign. I guess there’s a black bear about.

Glad I didn’t come upon it and get rekt.

feeding on them? i thot they found the bear aome ways away and the only reason they shot it per the news was that it was being aggressive
I don’t know if they had a sat phone or what... but whatever they did have they were in communication with an uncle on a daily basis, even during the beginning of the attack...anyway, Rescuers were able to use that device to pinpoint their exact location, but when the chopper initially got to the campsite they couldn’t land on site and the bear was seen mid meal, and they landed some ways away, tracked it down, it was aggressive with them and killshot followed......after that attack, the Grizzly was a dead bear walking anyway, so it may have been ....”He’s comin’ Right for us!”.

Of course it’s not like I was there.

Guys itt gearing up to enjoy nature
lock-and-load-lock.gif

Black bears yeah. I've seen plenty of black bears. There are apparently only 60 grizzlies in Banff national park. Never seen one of those.
59 now thanks to this selfish couple who had to drag their dog along.

Noy saying the dog was 100% the main cause, but with the unburied pee all over the place and maybe barking I bet the bear had a way easier time finding them.

"Hun we're so experienced and respectful let's bring Bowser along to grizzly country the bears can sense our love for them and will let us be lol"

*edit*
They should've used a bear naked choke :cool:
C'mon Sherdog, I am disappoint

Any place you can get eaten alive should not be called a "national park."
This is so very wrong. People should not treat National Parks like Amusement Parks. National Parks preserve the wilderness for the wonder and awe of everything they encompass. The complete lack of respect from the visitors is the problem.

This is one of the most brutal bear attack stories ive heard or read about. It's bears doing what they are fully capable of doing.

When I hear people say things like...it's ok, just leave them alone and they wont harm you. Or, just take some spray and youll be ok, I laugh. Yes, they are usually inclined to stay away from people, but if you surprise them, get too close to cubs, come across a hungry one in the wrong time of the year, or just a territorial one who doesnt give a fuck....you better hope you are prepared to defend or most likely, die.

Last edited:
If I’m gonna be somewhere with bear. It’s a 12 gauge with slugs. One day I’m gonna get myself a 45-75 lever action.
View attachment 1005181
I spent a week kayaking/camping the Flathead River outside of Glacier National Park a few years back in September.

I did my research and most of the guides I spoke to suggested to carry a .45-70, specifically Buffalo Bore .45-70 Magnum rounds. Cost me a lot of money, but I went ahead and bought one just for the trip. Figured the $1500.00 was better than a closed casket funeral. I also carried a .357 mag a side arm since trout fishing was rather hard carrying a rifle.

People need to remember that the ammo is just as important as the gun, and Buffalo Bore makes the most high powered hard cast lead ammo on the market. Just use a quality gun, the pressure of these rounds will destroy a cheap firearm.

For anyone interested here is the story of the “Night of the Grizzlies” in Glacier National Park back in the late ‘60’s.

But more importantly it tells the story of how the National Park system treated these animals as circus animals, leading to this terrible event and the even worse fall out.

Still best things to carry in Grizz country is bear spray an noise makers. If your carryin a gun it better be a high caliber or even if you hit it your BEARly hurting it an just making it more angry. Noise makers work most of the time if you see them from a distance and bear spray is very effective in most cases.

Might be the only legitimate application for an assault rifle. Could see that doing the trick.

I spent a week kayaking/camping the Flathead River outside of Glacier National Park a few years back in September.

I did my research and most of the guides I spoke to suggested to carry a .45-70, specifically Buffalo Bore .45-70 Magnum rounds. Cost me a lot of money, but I went ahead and bought one just for the trip. Figured the $1500.00 was better than a closed casket funeral. I also carried a .357 mag a side arm since trout fishing was rather hard carrying a rifle.

People need to remember that the ammo is just as important as the gun, and Buffalo Bore makes the most high powered hard cast lead ammo on the market. Just use a quality gun, the pressure of these rounds will destroy a cheap firearm.

I think that is a key point most normal gun owners don’t think about. With a thick animal like a bear. You need to make sure you’re using regular bullets. No hollow points. The key to victory is penetration. As deep as you can go. And all the better if they can be hard cast.

This latest attack makes me glad my stupid anti gun state has at least just passed law making it lawful to shoot bear in self defense. Can you imagine that shit? Up until this month, it was illegal to shoot a bear, even if it was coming after you. Stupid ass politicians.

I think that is a key point most normal gun owners don’t think about. With a thick animal like a bear. You need to make sure you’re using regular bullets. No hollow points. The key to victory is penetration. As deep as you can go. And all the better if they can be hard cast.

This latest attack makes me glad my stupid anti gun state has at least just passed law making it lawful to shoot bear in self defense. Can you imagine that shit? Up until this month, it was illegal to shoot a bear, even if it was coming after you. Stupid ass politicians.
Completely out of touch politics.

If I’m gonna be somewhere with bear. It’s a 12 gauge with slugs. One day I’m gonna get myself a 45-75 lever action.
View attachment 1005181
Below is my exact gun. I blew a hole in an abandoned truck door the size of softball. I keep it in my tent wherever I camp, but it isn't like you can legally walk around with it. In those circumstances, I make sure I bring people I know are slower than me.

2379694_01_44_40_lever_action_winchester__640.jpg

This is so very wrong. People should not treat National Parks like Amusement Parks. National Parks preserve the wilderness for the wonder and awe of everything they encompass. The complete lack of respect from the visitors is the problem.
Yeah but idiots see the word "park" and assume it's a recreational area free of imminent death

Below is my exact gun. I blew a hole in an abandoned truck door the size of softball. I keep it in my tent wherever I camp, but it isn't like you can legally walk around with it. In those circumstances, I make sure I bring people I know are slower than me.

2379694_01_44_40_lever_action_winchester__640.jpg
I actually love that Lever Actions are coming back in vogue. Big fan of Mad Pig Customs who happen to be in state.

I still carry spray, but I mainly hike around in black bear territory. A threat, yes, but id be infinitely more terrified if a Grizz came charging. Unfortunately we are not permitted to carry certain firearms here in Canada...legally that is. My question to you is....why that gun? They are heavy handguns, have shit recoil and just seem impractical especially if you have to act and aim fast. If the bear is close, you probably wont be quick or accurate enough to stop it. If its far, youre probably never getting a solid shot on target.

Best weapon vs bear would probably be a shotgun tbh.
Because my Uncle gave me his DE for my birthday many moons ago. I would never buy one. If I wanted a hand cannon and willing to throw money at it... I would get the .500 SW just as much stopping power but lighter an less recoil.

A Shot gun ain't doing anything but pissing bear off unless it's slugs.

Just went in a nature park today that had a “caution: bear in area” sign. I guess there’s a black bear about.

Glad I didn’t come upon it and get rekt.
Most times a Black bear will just scurry away but you catch one at the right/wrong moment then yeah it would suck unless prepared.

Because my Uncle gave me his DE for my birthday many moons ago. I would never buy one. If I wanted a hand cannon and willing to throw money at it... I would get the .500 SW just as much stopping power but lighter an less recoil.

A Shot gun ain't doing anything but pissing bear off unless it's slugs.

I remember reading quite often that 12 gauge shotguns with slugs are known for being the most trustworthy weapon against bears.

Back