Adapting TKD to MMA

Sohei said:
Mirko trained in Muay Thai and fought MT rules matches after he had trained in TKD and boxing. That doesnt mean he was a MT champ, or that he has an exclusivley MT influence. He competed in 'Savate' rules matches too but he never trained in Savate.

Source? He has never fought a Muay Thai rules match ever.

Bas Rtten did the same, he had balck belts in TKD and KK before training with some MT guys and competing in MT rues matches before he got into Pancrase.

Same story. Bas never competed in Muay Thai.

US Tomato Can said:
Source? He has never fought a Muay Thai rules match ever.

So all his matches previous to K-1 were 'Savate' rules? Go ask Fortunal, who runs mirkos webshop if yo dont believe me.

US Tomato Can said:
Same story. Bas never competed in Muay Thai.

Wrong. He competed in MT rules matches but was never ranked. Agian if you dont believe me go to www.basruttentv.com or whatever his site is and ask him yourself.

Sohei said:
So all his matches previous to K-1 were 'Savate' rules? Go ask Fortunal, who runs mirkos webshop if yo dont believe me.

Most were actually boxing with knockdown karate.

Wrong. He competed in MT rules matches but was never ranked. Agian if you dont believe me go to www.basruttentv.com or whatever his site is and ask him yourself.

That's not Muay thai. More like modified kickboxing.

I find it funny that most of the people who bash tkd have studied the art for only a short time.. I think I read that the guy who bashed tkd studied it when he was like 10 years old or something.. ha ha ha.. I was still playing with legos when I was ten and apparently this guy thinks he was mature enough to understand the art fully.. I've been doing tkd for 6+ years and there is something new for me to learn everyday, But I guess he was on the accelerated program or something. :rolleyes:

And I know this may come as a great shock to the tkd haters but not everyone considers mma as the ultimate proving ground as far as fighting skill goes * gasp * .. The reason that you don't see many tkd guys in mma is because many of the top tkd guys don't give a shit about your mma fights. I'm pretty sure most of the really good guys are more worried about olympic medals rather than some lousy purse in a mma fight. But that is just a hunch. Let me assure you that someone at an international level in tkd can adapt to any other striking style. The level of athleteisicism that some of these guys possess is unreal. But I am guessing that most of you tkd bashers dont actually know that because you don't really bother to look beyond what your tuf buddies are telling you.. :cool:

Kyun said:
1. It was an example and noone here cares about your grunt ass anyway. Once again go clean a weapon or something. I'm not infantry and I do not care what weapons you are qualified on that you will probably never ever get to actually use beyond shooting card board targets.

2. Well if you maxed out the asvab you wouldn't have joined the Army as infantry. I am inclined to say you probably had issues spelling your name correctly. Also if you actually wanted to join the civilian world as a Blackwater Contractor, you should have gone the route of special forces.

3. Once again you are wrong. You're getting your own life twisted with my own. Kind of sad that "you" being Korean has to resort to filipino juicy girls, but sorry bro that just isn't me.
If you think an online translator can manage to type this out, you're fucking delusional. From my girl to you: 당신은 이사람에 대해서 아무것도 모르면서 말 함부로 하네.
이사람은 한국에 1년 머물면서 무에타이 인천 에서 그리고 서울에서 시합경기 한 경험이 있고,그리고 당신! 사람들하고 애기 하는법 먼저 배워라. 당신 같이 무식하게 애기 하는 사람 첨 봤네.그리고 싸가지 졸라 없네 씨발~

4. Well you failed horribly because I was simply stating my opinion of TKD and my experiences of taking it and being around it in it's own country, Korea. It's an opinion, save it, take a picture or something.

5. Have you ever even been to Iraq? Because if you haven't then you don't have much to speak up on. It doesn't matter where you are, it isn't exactly a pleasant experience. Remember I'm not infantry so I wouldn't be out there looking to get blown up by an IED.

6. Okay, so no I do not know about the DMZ because like I stated earlier I am not in the infantry, let alone the Army. So why would I spend time at the DMZ?

7. Welterweight, Class: professional, valid dates 19-07-31, organization: J-Network http://www.kickboxing.co.jp/J-NEW/J-NET/J-NET_Frameset.html

I will be in Korea for about two weeks and the majority of the time will be in Seoul.

8. Actually me being a white belt on this website has nothing to do with anything. The fact that a lot of these idiots with thousands of posts to their name think they actually know anything baffles me. Some guy with almost a thousand posts couldn't even spell muay thai correctly and calls himself an MMA fan.

9. You don't mention who you train with or that you actually train because you probably don't like the rest of the people here. You are merely a critic, a spectator, a fan, but like one said before...this is a MMA fan website so it's expected to be filled with ex WWE infant retards. Why would I disclose my name to the rest of this website. And the individuals I fought in Korea are not going to show up on google idiot. If you need some clarification and can manage to get a hold of Jacob Mapes, (student of Sifu Vern Miller a Choy Lay Fut/Tai Chi instructor who learned to fight from Doc Fai Wong,) of Twin Tiger's Gym, repeatedly spanked Muay Thai fighters from Maurice Smith's kicboxing gym. He was one of my original sparring partners when I was 16. Junior welterweight kickboxing title and lightweight muay thai title to his name. If you need information on one of my boxing coaches try searching for Ray Paxton who was inducted into USA Boxing Southern Association Hall of Fame. I am not going to list on and on about Muay Thai trainers overseas because it's already obvious. Give it a fucking break chump.

I never claimed to be a world champion, but I have fought and still train as a professional which is more then you could ever say for yourself. I am pretty damn sure there are some pro fighters here that care less for a forum tag and want to see what you idiots have to say while avoiding being bothered/spammed with multiple messages.

you once again never fail to prove how pig headed you are..

yes ive been to iraq.. im not taking about Anaconda.. more like Tal Afar an Mosul.. 12 hour patrols.. but you dont know what real work is... its okay though you didnt know you made basic assumptions on nothing... youre a welterweight.. im a light heavyweight... i actually trained in Yelm, WA with fighters who people actually know not some names you looked up on the internet... but its okay once again assumptions based on nothing... nice job posting a site in japanese.. that no one can read so they cant find you even if your record did exist online... oh and nice job getting youre juicy girl gf to write something out in korean she also sucks in korean... big accomplishment there kid...

and again you talk about your rank on sherdog.. no one cares. you cant seem to get that through youre head.. you still have an 18 post per day average...

Hey Kyun are you 5'8 and have trained under Shingo Garyu??

Did you also happen to fight an army guy and managed to hit him in the back of the head???

Just wondering

Kyun said:
TKD leg kicks will not develop into good kicks for MMA. There is no power behind them.
Then how did Park Soo Yong KO Rikijyo with a snapping tkd low kick??

InternetMonster said:
Then how did Park Soo Yong KO Rikijyo with a snapping tkd low kick??
Dude, I posted a clip of a TKD dude breaking two baseball bats with a low kick, but he ignored it, and threatened to rape me.

krnguy03 said:
you once again never fail to prove how pig headed you are..

yes ive been to iraq.. im not taking about Anaconda.. more like Tal Afar an Mosul.. 12 hour patrols.. but you dont know what real work is... its okay though you didnt know you made basic assumptions on nothing... youre a welterweight.. im a light heavyweight... i actually trained in Yelm, WA with fighters who people actually know not some names you looked up on the internet... but its okay once again assumptions based on nothing... nice job posting a site in japanese.. that no one can read so they cant find you even if your record did exist online... oh and nice job getting youre juicy girl gf to write something out in korean she also sucks in korean... big accomplishment there kid...

and again you talk about your rank on sherdog.. no one cares. you cant seem to get that through youre head.. you still have an 18 post per day average...

Dude noone here cares about you driving in circles in the desert for 12 hours. So you can clean your weapon faster then me, who gives a shit?

Listen you ignorant bastard. I really don't need to prove shit to you. I am sitting here in an apartment as we speak in Korea. Take your garbage to PM's and if you really want to go at it, lets make this happen already. If I was searching for random names on the internet, why the hell would I bring up Twin Tigers Gym in WA which is officially closed now due to my original trainer because diagnosed with cancer. Jacob Mapes who was fighting actively at the time I had first started there is was pretty well known since he held two titles at the same time in the NW area and beat the crap out of Maurice Smith's fighters on occasion.

You think I had a filipino chick type that entire thing? you really are on crack. The posts that I have to my name belong to this thread and were made pretty much one after another in replies to idiots like yourself. Of course you cannot read the J-Network website because it's fucking japanese. Do you expect them to make an english version?

Once again, I am here in Korea for the next two weeks. Catch a bus to Pyongtaek or we can meet halfway in Seoul. Then I can settle this internet warrior shit once and for all.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Dude, I posted a clip of a TKD dude breaking two baseball bats with a low kick, but he ignored it, and threatened to rape me.

LOL so Kozo Takeda broke three bats, does it make a damn difference? I am talking about the majority of TKD attacks and fighters. Internet Monster stop trying to stir up shit that was trying to settle you fucking instigator.

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!
This is the problem with internet discussions. incessant babbling and rambling by psuedo-"experts". :rolleyes:
1) Your opinion should NEVER be confused with factual data. Even if you base your opinion on facts that does not make it a fact.
2) Continually screaming your opinion while yelling "NUH UH" at the top of your lungs when faced with facts refuting your suppositions only makes you look like a fool.
3) Attempting to insinuate that you are "somebody" and dropping names while refusing to identify yourself again makes you look like a poser.
4) Having only trained in a style for a couple of years, especially adolescent years, does NOT qualify you as an expert. As a matter of fact that alone would tend to prove a person has limited (if any) actual knowledge of a style.
5) Attacking & challenging other posters who debate the validity of your posts only proves the weakness of your "point". If you cannot back up your stance with factual, VERIFIABLE, data then perhaps you need to reasses your stance to come into line with the facts.
*** The aforementioned items apply to all posters and not any individual in this thread.

IMO-
1) Before ANYONE can be taken as credible they must first establish that they have the expertise needed to offer a valid & lucid perspective.
a) Who are you?
b) What are your qualifications? (belt levels, teaching credentials, sanctioning orgs, fighting record, etc.)
2) After offering VERIFIABLE credentials your area of expertise is limited to what your credentials prove. **i.e. If your training is in TKD then your "opinions" on the effecacy of MT (or Boxing, Savate, BJJ, etc.) are pretty worthless since you have no actual knowledge of the style (other than perhaps perfunctory).
3) Taking 4 or 5 years of a style does NOT *gasp* make you an expert in that style. It might make you profecient but by no means an expert.
4) If you are an expert in a particular style your expertise does not carry over to similar styles (i.e. Hung Gar KF & Wing Chun KF, TKD & Kuk Sool, etc.)
5) If you have never been in the ring then your opinion of what works carries no weight. I watch MotoGP racing all the time (& I road race too) but that doesn't mean my opinion on what works is valid.
6) If you don't like a particular style then STFU and don't post in threads concerning that style.
7) ANYONE who says a particular style has no merits (or conversly claims one style to be the best) is a fool, a liar, or both.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kyun said:
Dude noone here cares about you driving in circles in the desert for 12 hours. So you can clean your weapon faster then me, who gives a shit?

Listen you ignorant bastard. I really don't need to prove shit to you. I am sitting here in an apartment as we speak in Korea. Take your garbage to PM's and if you really want to go at it, lets make this happen already. If I was searching for random names on the internet, why the hell would I bring up Twin Tigers Gym in WA which is officially closed now due to my original trainer because diagnosed with cancer. Jacob Mapes who was fighting actively at the time I had first started there is was pretty well known since he held two titles at the same time in the NW area and beat the crap out of Maurice Smith's fighters on occasion.

You think I had a filipino chick type that entire thing? you really are on crack. The posts that I have to my name belong to this thread and were made pretty much one after another in replies to idiots like yourself. Of course you cannot read the J-Network website because it's fucking japanese. Do you expect them to make an english version?

Once again, I am here in Korea for the next two weeks. Catch a bus to Pyongtaek or we can meet halfway in Seoul. Then I can settle this internet warrior shit once and for all.

look here smart guy youre the one who asked me if ive been to iraq.. if you dont like answers than dont ask questions.. problem solved.. and why do you keep talking about cleaning weapons? that was an awesome attempt to insult me... you say you dont need to prove shit to me.. but it is you who blabs on and on about who hes fought with, who hes trained with, how he sleeps with a girl, and how your going to "beat" my ass... so i guess that means youre not trying to prove anything? hmm... oh and i sent you a PM..

philong said:
JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!
This is the problem with internet discussions. incessant babbling and rambling by psuedo-"experts". :rolleyes:
1) Your opinion should NEVER be confused with factual data. Even if you base your opinion on facts that does not make it a fact.
2) Continually screaming your opinion while yelling "NUH UH" at the top of your lungs when faced with facts refuting your suppositions only makes you look like a fool.
3) Attempting to insinuate that you are "somebody" and dropping names while refusing to identify yourself again makes you look like a poser.
4) Having only trained in a style for a couple of years, especially adolescent years, does NOT qualify you as an expert. As a matter of fact that alone would tend to prove a person has limited (if any) actual knowledge of a style.
5) Attacking & challenging other posters who debate the validity of your posts only proves the weakness of your "point". If you cannot back up your stance with factual, VERIFIABLE, data then perhaps you need to reasses your stance to come into line with the facts.
*** The aforementioned items apply to all posters and not any individual in this thread.

IMO-
1) Before ANYONE can be taken as credible they must first establish that they have the expertise needed to offer a valid & lucid perspective.
a) Who are you?
b) What are your qualifications? (belt levels, teaching credentials, sanctioning orgs, fighting record, etc.)
2) After offering VERIFIABLE credentials your area of expertise is limited to what your credentials prove. **i.e. If your training is in TKD then your "opinions" on the effecacy of MT (or Boxing, Savate, BJJ, etc.) are pretty worthless since you have no actual knowledge of the style (other than perhaps perfunctory).
3) Taking 4 or 5 years of a style does NOT *gasp* make you an expert in that style. It might make you profecient but by no means an expert.
4) If you are an expert in a particular style your expertise does not carry over to similar styles (i.e. Hung Gar KF & Wing Chun KF, TKD & Kuk Sool, etc.)
5) If you have never been in the ring then your opinion of what works carries no weight. I watch MotoGP racing all the time (& I road race too) but that doesn't mean my opinion on what works is valid.
6) If you don't like a particular style then STFU and don't post in threads concerning that style.
7) ANYONE who says a particular style has no merits (or conversly claims one style to be the best) is a fool, a liar, or both.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thats what usually happens in TKD threads... someone asks a question then people who watch mma think that they know everything about every style known to man... they are subjext matter experts in every martial art... and cannot accept the fact that they are wrong even when confronted with facts... they are blinded by thier arrogance and ignorance... thinking that since they tried the 1 week trial period at thier local MT or BJJ gym they think they are "ultimate fighters"

Doodle said:
I find it funny that most of the people who bash tkd have studied the art for only a short time.. I think I read that the guy who bashed tkd studied it when he was like 10 years old or something.. ha ha ha.. I was still playing with legos when I was ten and apparently this guy thinks he was mature enough to understand the art fully.. I've been doing tkd for 6+ years and there is something new for me to learn everyday, But I guess he was on the accelerated program or something. :rolleyes:

And I know this may come as a great shock to the tkd haters but not everyone considers mma as the ultimate proving ground as far as fighting skill goes * gasp * .. The reason that you don't see many tkd guys in mma is because many of the top tkd guys don't give a shit about your mma fights. I'm pretty sure most of the really good guys are more worried about olympic medals rather than some lousy purse in a mma fight. But that is just a hunch. Let me assure you that someone at an international level in tkd can adapt to any other striking style. The level of athleteisicism that some of these guys possess is unreal. But I am guessing that most of you tkd bashers dont actually know that because you don't really bother to look beyond what your tuf buddies are telling you.. :cool:

I couldnt have said it better myself. The agility and speed of fuckin heavy weights is disgusting. And yes most tkd guys dont give two fucks about mma.

Bottom line: Tkd gives great kicks with speed and power....compared to muay thai is up to the individual.

- tkd gives great footwork, alebeit different from other martial arts

- tkd gives great reads and counters to any sort of kicks. Notice that park yong soo was only hit with low kicks and everything else missed....

we know tkd's shortcomings....this is a topic that has been done to death and the idiocy on the forum never ceases to amaze me. For those that think tkd kicks lack power i can post youtube vids of me kicking and you can check kyryllos too...

Kyun said:

This is very disrespectful. I'm no soldier and I was against the whole Iraq fiasco from the beginning, but I know what the soldiers do is not a fricken game. It is not like us who are blessed enough to 'prove our manhood' by jumping up and down and saying, "I tapped my buddy sparring last night. It was sweet."

Sorry. I know it is off topic. But I had to say it. This thread should really be moved to wasteland where it can die.

Wow this thread got out of hand.

Note to self, never start a thread about TKD.

Kyun said:
LOL so Kozo Takeda broke three bats, does it make a damn difference? I am talking about the majority of TKD attacks and fighters. Internet Monster stop trying to stir up shit that was trying to settle you fucking instigator.
haha, compare Kozo, one the best muay thai lowkickers to some random tkd guy.

The majority of other tkd kicks are weak? I thought thier roundhouse was considered the weakest one among most of you tkd bashers.

Back