Anyone feel completely mediocre?

I don't have any talents. I think I'm average athletically although if I'm being honest I think my coordination is below average which is why I never really got into ball sports. I might be somewhat naturally stronger and muscular than most guys, but it's not by a huge margin either. I'm not musically talented and my singing is absolutely mediocre. So is my dancing. So is my writing. I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm definitely not a genius either. I was never bad enough at my jobs to get fired, but I never excelled and stood out either. I'm just socially skilled enough to not be totally awkward in social situations. I'm short and (maybe slightly above) average looking, and make just enough money to have a "normal" life.

I'm in my 30s I still haven't found anything I'm really talented at and everything I do just seems "passable." I'm a passable person.. I guess I should count my blessings I'm at not at least terrible. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're good at, assuming I even have a talent.

Anyone else feel this way? Is this most people? Did anyone find their talent later in life?

You are going to get a bunch of posts of people lowkey bragging in this thread, but in truth, most people are average at most things. Furthermore, they delude themselves: 90% of guys will say they are "above average looking" and at least "above average" athletically which is, of course, impossible.

But hey, based just on your post, your grammar and writing skills are well above the internet average, making you a good sherdog poster. Furthermore, you seem to have some self-awareness which is also something that many people lack.

Im basicaly average at most things but I make up for it by being able to bullshit people. At work Im capable but hardly a master tradesman just realy good at playing the game, One thing I excel at work wise is fixing fuck ups and getting a job overline when things are going to shit.

Financially I dont try but constantly do well for myself and have a habit of landing on my feet

We both have more likes than posts and that's definitely something.

You have distilled the meaning of life down to its essence.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sometimes, but then I pull my dick out and things always seem better. Especially when I do it in private.

Nah, if anything I think too highly of myself. I'm a genius; Unfortunately I have no way of proving it to the world.

When I'm walking around and think about what I accomplished that most people can't, I smile.

When I think about what I didn't accomplish that I wanted to, I feel a bit of panic.

You walk around thinking about how you became a gold belt on sherdog???

Im basicaly average at most things but I make up for it by being able to bullshit people. At work Im capable but hardly a master tradesman just realy good at playing the game, One thing I excel at work wise is fixing fuck ups and getting a job overline when things are going to shit.

Financially I dont try but constantly do well for myself and have a habit of landing on my feet

To be fair I actually think effective lying is probably one of the best tests of intelligence most normal people face, being able to think on your feet to cover yourself in a believable fashion on the fly considering all the different elements at play that might trip you up.

Anyone else feel this way? Is this most people? Did anyone find their talent later in life?

I would say that compared to the other 7.6 billion people on the planet, you are doing very well. You live in the U.S., are in good health, and have a job. Talent is optional. Count your blessings...

I'm in my 30s I still haven't found anything I'm really talented at and everything I do just seems "passable." I'm a passable person.. I guess I should count my blessings I'm at not at least terrible. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're good at, assuming I even have a talent.

Well I wouldn't consider myself an exceptional photographer but I'm good enough to sell landscape prints professionally at a local level and I only started taking that seriously in my mid 30's.

Q8RaZEA.jpg

Its a bit of a cliché but I think people consistently overestimate "natural talent", I constantly get told I have some kind of gift for it yet the truth is I just spent a great deal of time practicing(probably 4-5 hours a day shooting and editing on average for many years although that's dropped off a little now) which is really what made the difference, I'd been taking photos as a hobby on holiday for probably a decade before that yet honestly it was only when I put in the serious effort that my work started to improve. Maybe if your looking at the very highest level of achievement in competition with other experts natural talent becomes more of an issue but before that its really more effort IMHO.

Honestly though I tend to think such focus often tends to be the product of a rather unbalanced personality, people prone to obsessional behaviour and a desire to prove themselves rather than naturally contented individuals. I admit I made rather a calculated judgement in choosing photography believing I'd probably be able to put that amount of work in judging by previous obsessional behaviour in less productive areas and generally being a bit of an angst ridden mess with such activates being a natural release(as does posting on this forum).

Last edited:
I don't have any talents. I think I'm average athletically although if I'm being honest I think my coordination is below average which is why I never really got into ball sports. I might be somewhat naturally stronger and muscular than most guys, but it's not by a huge margin either. I'm not musically talented and my singing is absolutely mediocre. So is my dancing. So is my writing. I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm definitely not a genius either. I was never bad enough at my jobs to get fired, but I never excelled and stood out either. I'm just socially skilled enough to not be totally awkward in social situations. I'm short and (maybe slightly above) average looking, and make just enough money to have a "normal" life.

I have striven all my life to remain mediocre and deliberately became ''downwardly mobile''....to the point a GF left me because ''I had zero ambition''

I know a real life genius, but the guy really smells. I'm grateful I don't smell.

Have you ever worked extremely hard to be good at something? Even those that are talented still work tremendously hard to get to the level they are at.

First good post by @Pugilistic

Truth is the vast majority of individuals range slightly below average to above average at everything. Very few people have outlier talent. Read about illusory superiority.

On top of that most people don’t recognize the one or two things they are inherently. pretty good at. Lack of insight.

Finally most people are pretty lazy and can’t or won’t spend the effort to refine their skills to elite level.

I’ve been lucky to know my two or three skills I’m really good at inherently and work really hard to refine them to a level that is elite. But that came with a lot of suffering and sacrifice.

i enjoy the things that I'm good at so I dunno its more time spent. You may not think it but to the average dude you could be called extremely talented at throwing hands @Pugilistic

The older I get the more average I perceive myself to be. I'm taller than most of the population and once was in the top 300 call of duty death match players in the world. That's about it. It takes a lot of effort to be good at things, I intend to enjoy my life and that means diversity and mediocrity!

First good post by @Pugilistic

Truth is the vast majority of individuals range slightly below average to above average at everything. Very few people have outlier talent. Read about illusory superiority.

On top of that most people don’t recognize the one or two things they are inherently. pretty good at. Lack of insight.

Finally most people are pretty lazy and can’t or won’t spend the effort to refine their skills to elite level.

I’ve been lucky to know my two or three skills I’m really good at inherently and work really hard to refine them to a level that is elite. But that came with a lot of suffering and sacrifice.

photographer-graph-1024x858.png

Most everyone is mediocre and will be forgotten.

Think of all the famous movie stars for an example. Culturally well known and recognizable, but in 100 years most will be as forgotten as though they never existed.

The only people who are really remembered are the people who contribute something lasting to society.

Welcome to life as the average man. There are literally billions of you so embrace the lifetime of struggle for a momentary flicker of appreciation and validation.

Join a non-profit organization and do something that enriches your life. The problem with society is we are brainwashed from an early age into thinking that success equals buying lots of nice things. We then think that we aren't good enough since we haven't acquired these things yet. It is all bullshit and the sooner you realize this the happier you will be. Spend time in nature and less time in major cities. Spend more time helping people than buying stuff for yourself. Spend more time with family and less doing overtime. Stop watching the news, it is filled with negativity and will only make you lose hope in humanity. The system that they built is made to enslave us so that we mindlessly consume.

If you have good health and have people around you who you love that is good enough. Don't forget that you are already so fortunate to have been born in a first world nation so that you even have the luxury to complain on a message board.

Back