Movies Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise - Who's the superior actor?

Who's the superior actor?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Brad Pitt is the only one that's won an Oscar.

But I think Tom Cruise is the superior actor overall.

As an "Actor" Pitt is miles better.

However, Cruise is better everywhere else when it comes to movie making.
200w.gif

I have never been particularly impressed by Tom Cruise acting.

He is good at saying words clearly, running and sprinting for maybe no especially important reason, and he is very natural on camera, which I think is his biggest strength...

But I have never felt like he did much in the way of adapting any special characteristics, mannerisms, accent, etc.

I feel Tom gets under rated as an actor due to so many people's general dislike of him (along with Scientology, etc.).

People forget about stuff like Taps, and some subtle things in Vanilla Sky, Eyes Wide Shut, and others.

I've always thought he was so successful because he is the only "action" star that is actually a decent actor, also.

I feel Tom gets under rated as an actor due to so many people's general dislike of him (along with Scientology, etc.).

People forget about stuff like Taps, and some subtle things in Vanilla Sky, Eyes Wide Shut, and others.

I've always thought he was so successful because he is the only "action" star that is actually a decent actor, also.

I think it's because he hasnt had one of those type of roles since what, collateral or tropic thunder? Recency perception favors Pitt if you are going by the typical critically acclaimed type of performance.

Pitt has a lot more of those types of performances in the last 15 to years or so. But if you look at the amount of solid acting performances between them overall, Cruise has him beat imo.

I think it's because he hasnt had one of those type of roles since what, collateral or tropic thunder? Recency perception favors Pitt if you are going by the typical critically acclaimed type of performance.

Pitt has a lot more of those types of performances in the last 15 to years or so. But if you look at the amount of solid acting performances between them overall, Cruise has him beat imo.
I agree, he's gone full action-star.

The last thing I see on there that is even close to acting is Valkyrie, and that's 16 years old this year.

He did have some chops in his prime though.
Ex. He was able to hold his own in the courtroom scene from A Few Good Men with Jack, back when Jack gave a f#$k.

a_few_good_men_the_truth.jpg

Prefer Pitt usually, but i'm not sure if one have clear talent/skill edge over the other

Brad Pitt kinda sucks at acting honestly. He's good in certain roles like 12 monkeys or fight club where he plays as a quirky crazy guy but he's not a good actor at anything else

Cruise is the greatest movie star of all time.

And he can certainly compete on pure acting ability with Pitt as great as a motivated Pitt is. People always overlook how many incredible, serious performances Cruise has given. It's so easy to take a man who has defined the silver screen for granted. Familiarity breeds...forgetfulness.

Jerry Maguire
Rain Man
Born on the 4th of July
Magnolia
A Few Good Men
Collateral
The Color of Money
All the Right Moves
Lions for Lambs

Pitt is better at the Oldman / DDL type chameleon stuff. Cruise is probably a bit better at carrying entire movies on his shoulders.

Brad Pitt is the only one that's won an Oscar.

But I think Tom Cruise is the superior actor overall.

I will get IP banned for saying this but I think Tom Cruise is a terrible actor. He does well in action films chewing bubble gum but I have not seen him in a role where I thought he had any depth at all.

The "head" scene in Se7en is all you have to know about Brad Pitt's "acting" skills. It almost ruins the entire movie for me...

Having said that...they're both terrible, imo.

Last edited:

Interesting. Every time I watch Eyes Wide Shut I think Cruise is *somehow* ridiculous in it. It's a complex movie with many layers and he just looks like a frat boy with a smirk who is out of his element.

However, I will concede that he pulls it off, maybe precisely because that's sort of the theme of the movie, i.e. a young handsome doctor who obviously had everything given to him in life, incl. a hot wife who is a good mother, who discovers another, darker reality and ventures into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back