Calvus' Diet Log

Your log provides me with absolutely no motivation to continue eating cleanly...so I have no idea why I actually read through all of it.

I do understand you are trying to put on mass though, so it's understandable. But really, french fries? You couldn't just do another cheeseburger? That at least I could forgive. But fries and a non-diet Coke just seems like such a waste. :icon_neut

However, I will be interested to see your strength gain / weight gain ratio.

Your log provides me with absolutely no motivation to continue eating cleanly...so I have no idea why I actually read through all of it.

I do understand you are trying to put on mass though, so it's understandable. But really, french fries? You couldn't just do another cheeseburger? That at least I could forgive. But fries and a non-diet Coke just seems like such a waste. :icon_neut

However, I will be interested to see your strength gain / weight gain ratio.

No comment on the spam musubi? I figure I'm probably the 1st person to ever post that in a diet log here....

In all seriousness, thanks for the comments...I had the same thought about the burger, so last time I had fast food (Wednesday) I had 2 chicken sandwiches (and fries).

I do plan on cleaning the diet up starting in April. At this point, this is more a log to train myself to keep track of what I'm eating because I've never done that before. I'm trying to develop some consistency with logging before I start controlling my diet. My goal was to try to get up to 225 by April, but I'm really struggling to gain the weight, so not sure if I'm going to make it.

2/4/2011

BW: 215.6

8:30 AM - 1 banana, 2 fried eggs, 2 pieces of toast
12:30 PM - El Pollo Loco - 3 pieces of chicken + rice & some veggies
4:00 PM - Peanut butter & honey sandwich, 12oz milk
4:30 PM - Vietnamese pork sandwich
7:00 PM - 5 pieces of pizza

Last edited:
Your log is just making me miss CA. In N Out, El Pollo Loco and Hawaiian BBQ. I would kill for any of that right now. Luckily I can't get it where I live now cause I'm trying to lose weight

Good luck on the weight loss....I'll be there soon...

Well, my good sir...if you are actually struggling to gain the weight you want, then go right ahead and eat some fries!

2/5/2011

BW: 216.6

So my bodyweight is up this morning - I think it is because of the lack of activity over the past few days. My shoulder has been screwed up since Tuesday this week. Wednesday I cut my workout short due to work commitments, and then only some technical training in BJJ Wednesday night, no sparring. I did not workout Thursday due to shoulder pain (was supposed to Bench) and also no BJJ Thursday or Friday.

Evidently lifting 4 days a week & BJJ 4-5 days a week is just burning a ton of calories...

Anyway, my shoulder is at about 70% this morning, so I'm going to go ahead & compete in a BJJ tourney - just had my pre-game meal:

8:00 AM - Oatmeal with honey & brown sugar + toast
* won all 3 matches this am :)
12:00 PM - Five Guys double-bacon cheeseburger + fries (post-game meal)
4:00 PM - PB&J sandwich
6:00 PM - nachos
7:00 PM - 2 plates of home made chicken risotto

Last edited:
2/6/2011 - Super Bowl Sunday :)

BW: 214.2 <-- :mad:

8:00 AM - oatmeal with brown sugar & honey
10:00 AM - 2 fried eggs, bacon, potatoes toast
1:00 PM - Peanut Butter & honey sandwich + banana
3:00 PM - 7:00 PM - lots of snacks, ceviche, guacamole, chips, beer + 2 large bowls of meaty chili

Last edited:
2/7/2011

<-- Moving in the right direction again...

8:00 AM - 3 scrambled eggs in burritos with cheese, 12 oz milk
11:30 PM - 1.5 scoops of protein in 16 oz milk
12:00 PM - turkey, cheese, lettuce tomato, onion, sandwich
1:30 PM - Protein Bar
4:00 PM - 12 oz milk, peanuts
6:00 PM - small plate of ravioli's with meat sauce, steamed veggies, garlic bread
8:30 PM - very large plate of ravioli's with meat sauce, 1 scoop protein poweder + 16oz milk

Last edited:
2/8/2011

BW: 215.2

8:00 AM - 2 fried eggs + toast
10:00 AM - 1 scoop of protein + 16 oz milk
12:00 PM - 1 corn dog + ham & cheese sandwich
2:30 PM - Carl's Jr $6 Bacon Cheeseburger & fries
5:30 PM - 3 large fish tacos at Fred's downtown HB + large Tecate
8:00 PM - 2 bean & Cheese burritos, 12 oz milk

Last edited:
2/9/2011

8:15 AM - 2 fried eggs, 2 pieces buttered toast
10:00 AM - Peanut Butter & Honey sandwich
12:30 PM - 1.5 scoops protein + 16oz milk
1:00 PM - lots of sushi, rice, Miso soup
5:00 PM - bunch of roasted peanuts (maybe 1 cup, shelled)
6:00 PM - 6 slices of thin crust pizza + 2 beers

Last edited:
2/10/2011

BW: 219.6

I think they key for me to gain the weight is to not train BJJ as much. Or at least don't train BJJ the same day I lift weights. For the past few weeks I've been lifting heavy 4 days a week & training BJJ 4-5 days a week and the weight gain has been very tough. This week I trained twice on Monday, none on Tuesday & only lifted yesterday, no BJJ & the pounds are adding up...

6:00 AM - 2 Egg McMuffins & Hash Brown from McDonald's
10:00 AM - 6" Chicken sandwich @ Subway with lettuce, onion, spinach, cucumbers, olives
12:00 PM - Chicken Teriaki & Rice with steamed broccoli & carrots
4:00 PM - 1.5 Scoops protein + 16oz milk
5:30 PM - Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
7:30 PM - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts - 2 plates + 2 beers

Last edited:
2/11/2011

BW: 218.6

8:30 AM - 2 fried eggs, toast & a bowl of grits
11:00 AM - Peanut Butter, honey & banana sandwich
1:30 PM - In & Out Double-Double with everything, fries with cheese & grilled onions + chocolate milkshake
4:00 PM - peanuts
7:00 PM - 2 fish tacos + 2 small cheeseburgers, 2 beers

Last edited:
2/12/2012

BW: 218.4

Didn't log meals today...

2/14/2011

BW: 218.6

7:00 AM - 1.5 servings oatmeal

Started tracking my meals on fatsecret.com. It's much easier to track macronutrients this way, which is what I'm starting in a couple of weeks...not sure what I'll do with this log now, but may continue to update bodyweight & other stuff, but will probably not be tracking daily meals.

2/16/2011 - BW 218.6

2/26/2011

BW: 221.4

Bodyweight still on a nice, moderate increase. I'm going to start a diet to lose fat in April, but on Monday I will start transitioning to the diet phase by adding conditioning back into my programming and also tracking macronutrients.

For conditioning, the plan is to start next week with two 20-minute LSD or steady-state cardio sessions per week and build up to 2 steady state & 2 HIIT sessions per week by the end of March. I will continue to lift heavy 4 days per week in March - I am pushing for PRs in Bench and Deadlift. I plan to average 3 days per week of BJJ.

For this transition phase, the diet will consist of the following:

High Carb Days (2 per week), Low Carb Days (non-training days), Moderate Carb Days (other days in the week).

Here are my guidelines:
- High Carb Day: 440-660g Carbs, 220-275g Protein
- Low Carb Day: 110g Carbs, 275g Protein, 33g Fat
- Moderate Carb Day: 330g Carbs, 330g Protein, 77g Fat

I'm not trying to be too precise or perfect, just trying to get close to those numbers & get used to tracking my diet - this will be my first time attempting a diet.

2/28/2011

BW: 221.6

Starting to track macronutrients for the transition diet today. Today will be a Moderate Carb Day.

Target: 330g Carbs, 330g Protein, 77g Fat
Actual: 369g Carbs, 266g Protein, 105g Fat

Overshot the carbs & fat, not enough protein...I think I need to get some protein powder to help with this. Also may have to stop drinking milk on low & moderate carb days.

Last edited:
3/1/2011

BW: 221.8

Went for an early run this am. Today is my first day of re-introducing cardio. I'm gonna be sore...

I also screwed up today's diet plan 1st thing this morning. Oh well, that's what this 1st month is for...I had a PWO shake (with whole milk) after my run, and today is supposed to be a low-carb day.

After my 3 eggs for breakfast, I've already hit my daily target for fat & I'm closing in on the daily target for carbs....

Anyway, here are today's target, will update this at the end of the day:

Target: 110g Carbs, 275g Protein, 33g Fat
Actual: 101g Carbs, 291g Protein, 82g Fat

Sashimi for lunch, finished under my carbs today

Last edited:
Back