Double Champ Goals ruin a fighters momentum and possibly careers

ZCrz

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Can't think of a single fighter that has gone for double Champ status that isnt worse off afterwards.

They either get double gold stall two divisions then take their first loss or they lose going for it and are never the same after. The aura is gone.

GSP, Jones, and Silva have the best MMA legacies and didn't waste their prime years chase other weight titles.

Can't think of a single fighter that has gone for double Champ status that isnt worse off afterwards.

They either get double gold stall two divisions then take their first loss or they lose going for it and are never the same after. The aura is gone.

GSP, Jones, and Silva have the best MMA legacies and didn't waste their prime years chase other weight titles.

What? Jones wasted 3 years of his prime just to move up to Heavyweight. He literally did exactly that.

The UFC likes it because they don't have stars anymore like they did 5-6 years ago. It also helps because there are 10 thousand cards a year so it fills more of them.

Yeah, it's gotten ridiculous. Also the sense of entitlement that many talking about it seem to have, more often than not before they've even done much in their own divisions.

Calling for an immediate fight with a champ at a higher weight class when the title just changed hands is narcissism, and it needs to end.
I think you're being harsh on the fighters, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

It's like these guys/gals(?) all see it as the only way to promote themselves. Maybe they think it comes across as "weak" or something to call out a challenger in their own division, or maybe they (or their management/team) think its the best way to get more money.

Dana could squash this if he'd just tell the fighters that you aren't getting a shot unless you have a certain number (pick yours, I'll say 3) of defences.

You'd think the obsession with being a double champ stemmed from being awarded an immediate £1 billion in prize money the way the number of new champions ramble on about it.

I dislike it immensely, but the precedent has been set unfortunately.

I think you're being harsh on the fighters, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

It's like these guys/gals(?) all see it as the only way to promote themselves. Maybe they think it comes across as "weak" or something to call out a challenger in their own division, or maybe they (or their management/team) think its the best way to get more money.

Dana could squash this if he'd just tell the fighters that you aren't getting a shot unless you have a certain number (pick yours, I'll say 3) of defences.

This 100% needs to happen. It is literally the only way to make this shit stop. Even if he was willing to make an exception for someone, at least keep that behind the scenes but still crack down publicly.

I think it can be argued Jon's "Prime" as a LHW ended and he knew it so hence the reason for his "Move Up".

Jones was never moving up to HW without assistance and while Ngannou was there.

It shows you have the balls to fight against bigger opponent or same size opponent if you are a huge weight cutter

He should’ve lost to Reyes so he wasn’t gonna risk fighting anymore contenders. Plus he could’ve been facing a USADA ban
you mean like losing to gustafson who he almost murderd
and you mean by the boring LHW division that he wiped out for 3 generations?

also USADA clearing his name that all he took didnt gave him any advantages?

Call me an old fogey but I love the days when a champion defended their belts against all the contenders and racked up lots of title defenses. Thats how its supposed to be and thats a true champion. This double champ stuff has been done to death now and its not a superfight. How can it be a superfight when you have zero title defenses lol, it all seems silly to me.

UFC need to get a handle on this now and stop it, its just ruining all the divisions.

Call me an old fogey but I love the days when a champion defended their belts against all the contenders and racked up lots of title defenses. Thats how its supposed to be and thats a true champion. This double champ stuff has been done to death now and its not a superfight. How can it be a superfight when you have zero title defenses lol, it all seems silly to me.

UFC need to get a handle on this now and stop it, its just ruining all the divisions.

Remember way back when Aldo wanted to challenge for the 155 belt but Dana wouldn't let him unless he dropped his 145 belt first? So Aldo decided to never to do it of course. Dana has gone from one end to the other lol.

you mean like losing to gustafson who he almost murderd
and you mean by the boring LHW division that he wiped out for 3 generations?

also USADA clearing his name that all he took didnt gave him any advantages?
USADA can make what excuses for Jones they want you really believe he just took turinabol, clomiphene and letrozole not to try and gain a competitive advantage?

Remember way back when Aldo wanted to challenge for the 155 belt but Dana wouldn't let him unless he dropped his 145 belt first? So Aldo decided to never to do it of course. Dana has gone from one end to the other lol.
Very true, yeah you're right, I remember that. The problem with these so called "superfights" is they are not superfights anymore if you are doing it all the time and with every champion, its totally lost its appeal and its no longer special or unique

UFC should do a rule where you have to have 10+ title defenses before you can go for a double champ superfight. That way actually prove yourself, prove you are a great champion and worthy. Everyone is a flash in the pan these days. Very little consistency. Zero title defenses is not a superfight lol, its so lame.

You are so right about the Aldo situation, I don't know why Dana has gone from one end to the other, it seemed like he folded in with Conor and allowed him to do it, but since then its totally out of control.

Very true, yeah you're right, I remember that. The problem with these so called "superfights" is they are not superfights anymore if you are doing it all the time and with every champion, its totally lost its appeal and its no longer special or unique

UFC should do a rule where you have to have 10+ title defenses before you can go for a double champ superfight. That way actually prove yourself, prove you are a great champion and worthy. Everyone is a flash in the pan these days. Very little consistency. Zero title defenses is not a superfight lol, its so lame.

You are so right about the Aldo situation, I don't know why Dana has gone from one end to the other, it seemed like he folded in with Conor and allowed him to do it, but since then its totally out of control.

I feel like when WME took over a new era of trying to grab as much cash they can on any given night started. They don't look very far into the future on how certain things affect divisions and what not, if there's a big fight that can make money they make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back