Filipino Food, A question...

Thai Visa is full of old sexpats and sex tourists. Good for a laugh sometimes.

They are living in their own version of Thailand. I live around quite a few of these guys now as I moved to a condo in the middle of the red light area full of them.

Thailand has a lot more opportunity for work, better living standard, better food, safer, etc I expect Philippines to crush Thailand's job market with ASEAN. Thais are notoriously lazy workers and typically have poor english and service skills. Philippines could clean up all the retail / service / nursing etc jobs.
I will have to check out Bangkok soon....I'm no Philippines cheerleader, but it's where I am, so be it. Are not they getting rid of tourist there now in thailand? Seems to be a push in Asia to crack down on visas and sexpats. I'm glad to see it, but I tend to get grouped into that category, even having a family here and knowing nothing of the bar scene. We aren't actually all white devils who want to molest your children. shame.

Kek.

You could also pay a small fee to have the bangus deboned at the wet market.
Seems like lots of guys are getting their bangus deboned down by the wet market these days...I'll have to check it out..lol

Seems like lots of guys are getting their bangus deboned down by the wet market these days...I'll have to check it out..lol
Just tell them "I want BONELESS bangus"

they might not understand "deboned" lol

Even Korean now, way dumbed down. The chan is always some BS no fish heads, no dried fish roe, no dried fish. Its potato salad like shitty kimchi and thats about it.
{<huh}

That's how Koreans are with their food. They try very hard to promote their food to the rest of the world not realizing maybe spicy fermented cabbage isn't very appealing to most people. I like Korean food because I grew up with it but from an outside perspective, it's not as refined and there are far better places for food in Asia. That's the same feeling I got about the Philippines. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't mind blowing like Vietnam or Japan.

That spicy fermented cabbage is actually becoming the shit amongst food community. I've recently come across with a lot of restaurants that implement kimchi into their recipes. So, who knows, Philippine food might get some love if people keep promoting it.

[/QUOTE]
lol....where did you find this old thread? I used to eat that blood soup. I also had an Aussie buddy here named Deeno (sp?) and all the Filipinos would call him dinuguan...haha

Sherdog search I am looking for the Other more recent thread about pinoy food.

You can always buy "Boneless Bangus" instead. Less effort to prepare, and you can eat way better!

I wonder how they genetically engineered Milk fish to grow with no bones.!

Amazing! I hope they do non fat lechon next

I've posted this before, but Filipino food gets a bad rap because Filipinos are always promoting it to be awesome....and it's just meh. It's a nationalistic pride thing and humility would help A LOT.

I remember on TUF with Philipe Nover being so proud of Filipino food and trying to promote it on a world stage. Nobody really cares. Filipinos get too excited about their culture and IMO if they were more low key with the nationalism (which has actually gotten worse lately) they would be more well-received by the rest of the world. /rant lol

And of all the food Nover promoted its Balot which is more of an aquired taste.

Apparently that did not helped him in Vegas as he passed out.

And of all the food Nover promoted its Balot which is more of an aquired taste.

Apparently that did not helped him in Vegas as he passed out.
LOL! Poor nurse....I barely knew the Philippines even existed back then. Nover was a good guy, but hyped too much ...the next Anderson Silva! He should have cooked chicken adobo.

Thais and Philipinos/Filipinas are worlds apart culturally in my experience. The pride/insecurity of Philippines is 100x that of Thailand. A lot of Thais are actually very critical of their country. Even when comparing the most rural thai to an educated filipina working in SG.

I think Philippines has much better work ethic, wayyyy better English/Service skill. They will dominate ASEAN once they start opening it up for jobs abroad. I know a lot of business owners in BKK and they would all gladly hire Philippino staff over Thais if they could do it legally and easily.

Cold and heartless applies to the hookers, not the real girls. Although a lot of people only interact with hookers or have superficial relationships with poor girls working service jobs, so I can understand how they can be 'cold and heartless' lol.

Better work ethic? If you based that from the Overseas Filipino workers I don't think they represent the average Filipino. Offcourse they will hire only competent people in SG so the shitty pinoys gets filtered out.

The incompetence in the work force here is abysmall specially in the government sector if you manage people here you will have an aneurysm.

The local carpenter here could not even install a door knob!

And check this pedestrian overpass!

images

LOL! Poor nurse....I barely knew the Philippines even existed back then. Nover was a good guy, but hyped too much ...the next Anderson Silva! He should have cooked chicken adobo.

Oh yeah I almost pass out my self when Joe Rogan said he could be the next Anderson Silva and GSP?

And for sure I got flamed heavily in the local Filipino language forums by the overly sensitive folks.

I'm a white American. I've eaten a ton of Filipino food and I love it. That includes balut. Sprinkle a little salt on it, drink the "gravy," and then work on the fetus. Mmmmm mm!

Favorites include: dinuguan, tokwa't baboy, lumpia, adobo, pancit canton, sisig, sinigang, pochero, tapsilog.

Filipino breakfast (specifically tapsilog with some hot, fresh pandesal) is fucking incredible.

The snacks are ridiculous. Whether it be legit, home-made ones like turon or braso de mercedes, or mass-produced crap like choc-nut, pandan wafer sticks, Boy Bawang, or my favorite, otap, I love them all with a disturbing passion.

Oh yeah, and GOAT ice creams right hurr.

Ube
ube-ice-cream.jpg

Cheese
20080918PhilAmCheese.jpg

Source: Filipino g/f for 6 years

Good

Oh yeah I almost pass out my self when Joe Rogan said he could be the next Anderson Silva and GSP?

And for sure I got flamed heavily in the local Filipino language forums by the overly sensitive folks.
lol...Nover didn't even have a cage to train in, back then....I remember him being proud about his team getting a cage, several years later. I was a fan.

Good gateway dishes would include any of the various BBQ meats typically skewered on a stick.

Pansit (noodles) dishes like bihon.

Soups dishes like nilaga or sinigang.

I'm afraid there's not really anything I would consider knock off type dish. Filipino is comfort food which one really has to be raised on to really appreciate I'm afraid.

to be fair, even soul food isn't really at the top of people's list of food to eat in the u.s. how varied is filipino food? only thing i know of is lumpia, and that's basically egg rolls, right?

Halo halo is good. It's purple yam ice cream with rice crispies, fried white earthworms, green jello, coconut beetle larvae, sliced bananas, goat's milk, cherries, flan, jack fruit and two types of beans

halo-halo.jpg
<DisgustingHHH>

Id argue that it hasnt caught on because the flavors are too sophisticated. As someone who eats hella lots of dinuguan its because the flavors are earthy. Its not the food, its American culture and the Americanization of other Asian foods. Fish sauce, plus sour and spicy, its not an American flavor palette. Also, and this is a total knock on what other Asian cultures have allowed, Filipino culture has refused to Americanize their food. I love that about Filipino food. Most all other Asian cuisine is dumbed WAY DOWN! Sushi in this country is shitty for the most part, Thai food is a joke, Chinese especially Canton, dont get me started. There are restaurants with the name Szechuan all over the US yet rarely do you get Szechuan food. Even Korean now, way dumbed down. The chan is always some BS no fish heads, no dried fish roe, no dried fish. Its potato salad like shitty kimchi and thats about it.

Not in NYC. There are at least a dozen Michelin rated Sushi spots owned and run by Authentic Japanese that do not waver in their creations. Go to 34th and visit the Korean BBQ, fish heads and dried fish all over. Chinese I agree with though...it’s Americanized, and needs to be because you need a larger menu than just Szechuan....I also agree that we don’t like certain flavor profiles like Fish Sauce...we also don’t like fish paste like the Norwegians do.

Back