Green Bay Packers 2023

The Rodgers trade seems like they got nothing for him. Moving up a couple of spots in the first round doesn't seem like much. Now they added $41 million in dead cap and have to find a backup quarterback. I realize Rodgers could have retired and put the Packers in a deeper hole if they didn't trade him. I don't expect a better season than last year as the Packers had to dump a lot of salary.

At least it's done now, I can absolutely live with the trade given that they really, really wanted to unload that retarded contract and the cash+cap commitment that came with it. I absolutely get that people saw the Wilson trade last year and wanted a similar package, but it simply wasn't the same situation. When you look at all the grades by journalists and people who are more plugged in, the Packers actually got more than what was expected.

Realistically next year they will get a first somewhere in the 20's, if they are in the mix then Rodgers will play every game. If Rodgers gets injured, it will be a high second and he likely retires on top of it. It's unlikely that they suck so bad that Rodgers gets benched before reaching 65% of offensive snaps, especially with more teams making the playoffs now.

#13 gives them a better chance of getting one of the rare top prospects in the draft, or they get more when they trade down.

The Rodgers trade seems like they got nothing for him. Moving up a couple of spots in the first round doesn't seem like much. Now they added $41 million in dead cap and have to find a backup quarterback. I realize Rodgers could have retired and put the Packers in a deeper hole if they didn't trade him. I don't expect a better season than last year as the Packers had to dump a lot of salary.

I don't know how they can change the cap number.

The Packers really fleeced the Jets on this deal. Whoever worked this deal in the front office deserves a huge bonus.

@ralphc1

So it doesn't help the cap this year? Then I guess everything is as expected indeed. Important part is that the contract won't affect the 2024 cap. Also means that it's draft plus bargain bin shopping to fill out the roster for, they can attack more in 2024 with more cap and hopefully two first rounders.

@JackWhite @Fugazy @Snubnoze707 @Execute @INeedARemedy @volodya + everyone else, maybe @KOQ24 can chime in as well. :)

So, my annual draft post is finally possible now that I got the motivation after the Rodgers deal is done after all.

Consensus says that this draft is rather weak at the top, having less true first round grades than in many other years. However, there is a pretty big amount of guys who are decent prospects and really close in that...lets say 20-25 to 60-65 range, so I will focus mostly on #13 and then throw some names out there for the other top picks.

This year I will start off by things I'd hate them to do:
1. Draft Bijan Robinson at 13, not even with a trade down. Just no, the difference between elite and average impact at RB is miniscule, we all know it so I don't need to explain it much more. Even if Jones and Dillon are not likely to both be on the 2024 roster, just don't do it.
2. Draft Brian Branch at 13. Safety is a need, but he didn't test very well and is smallish for a S. If the Packers drafted later in the first or if he really falls to the second, I wouldn't hate it, but not at 13.
3. A TE at 13. I hate the idea because the class is really deep, the TE success rate in R1 is bad and if they focus on TE, then simply trade down. If they can trade into the early 20s and get more draft capital, they can likely still get their fav TE or at the very least their second fav, even if that fails they can still attack the position with their second rounders.

Meh:
1. Lukas Van Ness at 13. Edge is kind of a need, he's an elite athlete BUT he is also kind of a project again. Definitely not in the "hate" category, but meh would be perfect to describe it.
2. A corner at 13. Douglas won't stay forever, Stokes played bad in season two and got injured pretty badly. So it is a need and if their fav falls, I can see them doing the typical Packers CB pick. Not terrible, but meh.

What I'd like:
1. OT, if they can get Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones, maaaayybe Darnell Wright, Skoronski who should be a Guard tho.
2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR who gets open in the middle of the field, perfect weapon for Love, compliments Watson and Doubs well.
3. Myles Murphy if he falls, Edge, elite athlete.

I will do the second stuff when the first round is over and it's clear who's available.

Even though I wouldn't do it, wouldn't surprise me if Gute trades into the first round with their two second rounders.

My two favourite scenarios:
1. JSN
2. Trade back, get your TE and have tons of ammo on day 2 of the draft.

@JackWhite @Fugazy @Snubnoze707 @Execute @INeedARemedy @volodya + everyone else, maybe @KOQ24 can chime in as well. :)

So, my annual draft post is finally possible now that I got the motivation after the Rodgers deal is done after all.

Consensus says that this draft is rather weak at the top, having less true first round grades than in many other years. However, there is a pretty big amount of guys who are decent prospects and really close in that...lets say 20-25 to 60-65 range, so I will focus mostly on #13 and then throw some names out there for the other top picks.

This year I will start off by things I'd hate them to do:
1. Draft Bijan Robinson at 13, not even with a trade down. Just no, the difference between elite and average impact at RB is miniscule, we all know it so I don't need to explain it much more. Even if Jones and Dillon are not likely to both be on the 2024 roster, just don't do it.
2. Draft Brian Branch at 13. Safety is a need, but he didn't test very well and is smallish for a S. If the Packers drafted later in the first or if he really falls to the second, I wouldn't hate it, but not at 13.
3. A TE at 13. I hate the idea because the class is really deep, the TE success rate in R1 is bad and if they focus on TE, then simply trade down. If they can trade into the early 20s and get more draft capital, they can likely still get their fav TE or at the very least their second fav, even if that fails they can still attack the position with their second rounders.

Meh:
1. Lukas Van Ness at 13. Edge is kind of a need, he's an elite athlete BUT he is also kind of a project again. Definitely not in the "hate" category, but meh would be perfect to describe it.
2. A corner at 13. Douglas won't stay forever, Stokes played bad in season two and got injured pretty badly. So it is a need and if their fav falls, I can see them doing the typical Packers CB pick. Not terrible, but meh.

What I'd like:
1. OT, if they can get Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones, maaaayybe Darnell Wright, Skoronski who should be a Guard tho.
2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR who gets open in the middle of the field, perfect weapon for Love, compliments Watson and Doubs well.
3. Myles Murphy if he falls, Edge, elite athlete.

I will do the second stuff when the first round is over and it's clear who's available.

Even though I wouldn't do it, wouldn't surprise me if Gute trades into the first round with their two second rounders.

My two favourite scenarios:
1. JSN
2. Trade back, get your TE and have tons of ammo on day 2 of the draft.

I'd love to see the Packers build a home run hitting offense, full of speed and playmakers.

So I guess, JSN.

I'm gonna call him JSN for his career, I'm afraid to pronounce his last name. I don't want to be called racist/get cancelled.

I don't really watch any college football, but wr, oline, or dline would be great

First year that I haven't done any draft research. Not knowing what the compensation would be with the Rodgers trade sooner and this being a fairly uninspired draft class didn't help much, lol. But our boy @Deffid pretty much nails it. I really, really want a stud TE. As far as wideouts go; the verdict is still out on Doubs, but I'm pretty sold on Watson being legit while having a breakout second season. Giving Love a legit target to attack the middle of the field would be huge. So yeah, I'm all on board with that second pick being a pass catcher of sorts.

First pick, I think I'd be happy with an edge rusher. I don't think Gary has done enough to just expect him to be the guy. He still isn't a game in and game out force and he is coming back from that ACL injury. Enagbare could be a player, but we need more depth and playmakers there.

They should also look to draft another RB in the mid rounds too. Jones is always hurt and getting older and Dillon is a can. I doubt he gets a second contract anyways.

First year that I haven't done any draft research. Not knowing what the compensation would be with the Rodgers trade sooner and this being a fairly uninspired draft class didn't help much, lol. But our boy @Deffid pretty much nails it. I really, really want a stud TE. As far as wideouts go; the verdict is still out on Doubs, but I'm pretty sold on Watson being legit while having a breakout second season. Giving Love a legit target to attack the middle of the field would be huge. So yeah, I'm all on board with that second pick being a pass catcher of sorts.

First pick, I think I'd be happy with an edge rusher. I don't think Gary has done enough to just expect him to be the guy. He still isn't a game in and game out force and he is coming back from that ACL injury. Enagbare could be a player, but we need more depth and playmakers there.

They should also look to draft another RB in the mid rounds too. Jones is always hurt and getting older and Dillon is a can. I doubt he gets a second contract anyways.

I swear every other GB fan I talk to thinks Dillon is great.

By my eye test he damn near a bum, and if the Packers opponents weren't so worried about A-Rod, he wouldn't have done even half as well as he did.

He has no balance, he can't push a pile or power over people for a dude his size, and he has ZERO vision or patience, he's constantly running up his o-lines back or missing holes. He does have okay hands, but he isn't that good. I'd expect him to disappear into the league for a couple years before washing out after GB is done with him.

I swear every other GB fan I talk to thinks Dillon is great.

By my eye test he damn near a bum, and if the Packers opponents weren't so worried about A-Rod, he wouldn't have done even half as well as he did.

He has no balance, he can't push a pile or power over people for a dude his size, and he has ZERO vision or patience, he's constantly running up his o-lines back or missing holes. He does have okay hands, but he isn't that good. I'd expect him to disappear into the league for a couple years before washing out after GB is done with him.
I don't think he's that bad and also think he he'd be at least a decent #1, BUT he definitely bulked up too much. He looked fine for a while, but suddenly was so big last year that he couldn't run well anymore. He definitely needs to fix that.

Strenghtening the middle of the field is definitely key, JSN plus a couple of the talented TEs would be perfect. Love is also far more willing to throw there. Packers have so many needs, though. For this season Edge, Safety, WR, TE; for the following seasons also RB and O-Line fore sure.

Rodgers and the Packers should have been truthful to each other last year. That was their best team, they couldn't do it, traded Adams anyway...it just made no sense to try it again. Looking at Rodgers comments, he wasn't even motivated, now he looks excited again and even does offseason team activities.

This is great. Most here are not old enough to remember the pre-favre days. the packers will be back to being irrelevant. Nobody will want to go play there. Maybe Lynn Dickey can make a comeback

This is great. Most here are not old enough to remember the pre-favre days. the packers will be back to being irrelevant. Nobody will want to go play there. Maybe Lynn Dickey can make a comeback

Nah, it's gonna be some thrilling times when JLove10 runs roughshod on a weak NFC and prevents Mahomes and the Chiefs from having a true dynasty.

So it ended up "Meh"...

pass rush is going to be nasty. hope they move back up and get a tight end.

they need to get back into the first and get one of those tight ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back