How big was tupac back then?

im 32 today and been listening to pac since I was about 10 years old, damn time flies by so fucking fast man, now im not from the USA but as a immigrant foreigner in Sweden we kind of related to the blacks and rap a lot as minorities, me and all my friends were all into pac and biggie growing up wanting to be a G, im still listening to some of his songs every now and then and still get the same feelings today..

Anyway to me, pac always was and always will be the man when it comes to rap, his anger and passion, voice and flow/delivery is unmatched imo.

RIP 2Pac !

promoe > 2pac

I'd bet my hip hop knowledge against anyone on Sherdog.

I know the music from Kool Hercs days up until now.
And 2pac is the best artist that came from the hip hop art form.
Funk master flash was much more influential, basically nobody but hardcores has any idea who Dj Kool Herc is

Kendrick & Lupe have made more powerful and meaningful music than Tupac did in his entire career.

Do you even listen to them? Kendrick's greatest achievement in music is basically a tribute to Pac.

Bone Thugs were blowing up in 95-96, The Fugees, Nas, Snoop Dog and Biggie were all also way up there too with big albums that were everywhere during that time period. Shit, I think even Alanis Morisette (sp) was larger than life at that time too.

The things that really launched Pac was the signing with Death Row, the East Coast/West Coast beef, and his death.. and that was all within a very short time period and then BOOM.. he’s dead. I think his Makavelli album is his best selling (that or All Eyes on Me) and that was post mortem (tho obviously recorded prior to that). His death is when I really recall shit getting crazy. But prior to his death he was just another big hip-hop artist putting out decent stuff like Biggie, Snoop, Dre, and so on. He wasn’t viewed by most as above those guys before he died.

He was known prior to ‘All Eyes on Me’, and he did do some films that were well received (so did other artists like Ice Cube tho).. but he blew up and became a legend after his death. Pac was not a universally recognized legend before he died. That happened after his death. People imo confuse famous and legendary with him for some reason. Had he lived he still may have gone on to become a living legend, but he wasn’t in that category while he was alive.
Before he died he was the biggest west coast rapper.

Snoop took a backseat to Pac on Death Row; at the time of his death Pac was the biggest west coast rapper.

Didn't last for long, obviously...like a year.

I do agree that he wasn't a living legend though.

Him and Biggie were both just alright to me.

All Eyez on Me is a good album. And so are Biggie's from the same era.

But at the height of the East/West bullshit I was listening more to underground Philly shit like The Goats and The Roots. From the west coast I was listening to Cypress Hill, Del, Ice Cube, Snoop, D.O.C. and from the east coast Busta Rhymes, Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang, Redman, Tribe, etc. we're what I was really into.

Was Pac a real gang banger?
Was he a validated member of a street gang, no
Did he grow up in the ghetto, running with gangsters, living a violent life, going to prison, getting caught up in shootings etc, yes

And OJ wasn't convicted but I assume that most think he did it.
The facts are the facts as I also stated, regarding the police shooting

And they have his face painted on walls in Israel and other parts of the world
The man is pretty widely celebrated.

Name me the top 5 rappers ever according to you

Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
Black Thought
Mid-90's Busta Rhymes
Guru

I think his legend is bigger now than he ever was when he was alive.

Someone once told me he basically played himself in the movie Above the Rim, so I pretty much assumed he was just a dumb twat.

OTOH, my brother thought he was a great.

I guess it's pretty prevalent in a culture that has to make a term (down-low)for it.
7Rpo3zy.jpg

Tupac was pretty much the 90's version of...

Back