Is Billy Idol PUNK

he was part of the Bromley group
This guy knows what's up. He was down with Siouxsie Sioux and some other Sex Pistols fan girls, so ya. He started out as one you might say.

billy idol is not punk rock. He may have been at one point but he became famous as a new-wave pop star

DBAFAA08-A76E-4D88-8FD9-C8487BB1489B.jpeg Just a word....Punk.....no real meaning...

Iggy Pop, misfits, Ramones..... were punk ...... Billy Idol is to Punk what Garth Brooks was to country .

I don't see where you are getting Billy Idol confused with Pop. He has never been and will never be Pop. Michael Jackson was Pop.

You don't know what pop is. Idol was absolutely pop.

Iggy Pop, misfits, Ramones..... were punk ...... Billy Idol is to Punk what Garth Brooks was to country .

Ramones were a pop rock band

Blitzkreig Bop, etc.

Wearing leather jackets and having rudimentary skills on your instrument doesnt make you punk, it was a style choice

Ramones songs all use catchy chord progressions, they were clearly trying to "make it" which is the antithesis of the punk ethos

If Ramones are punk so are Rancid, Green Day and Blink 182

All I know is that when White Wedding or Rebel Yell comes in Absolute Rock radio, I don't care, just crank it up to ten.

Blitzkreig Bop, etc.

Wearing leather jackets and having rudimentary skills on your instrument doesnt make you punk, it was a style choice

Ramones songs all use catchy chord progressions, they were clearly trying to "make it" which is the antithesis of the punk ethos

He was pop bro

You've no idea what you're talking about mate. Ramones and Billy Idol were ground zero for Punk in the US & UK respectively. Ramones were one of the bands that got the ball rolling, possibly the most important band in punk with New York Dolls, and Billy was part of the Bromley contingent who were intrinsic with the Sex Pistols etc to the scene here.

Obviously Billy Idol's sound became more electronic as time went on, and was produced for mass audience more so than Gen X, but he's an OG. And of course they were trying to make it, they were working class, or in some cases like Johnny Rotten straight up poor, this was a route out of abject poverty for him. If any of them genuinely were trying not to make it then none of us would know who they are.

Yes very much so. There's no sacred rule book when it comes to punk. Take the sex pistols for example they had the look but their sound was a nod to the 50's erarock n roll pure and simple.

Blitzkreig Bop, etc.

The consensus is that The Ramones were the first punk band. You saying a punk band it not a punk band does not make them not a punk band. It just makes you wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramones
The Ramones were an American punk rock band that formed in the New York City neighborhood of Forest Hills, Queens in 1974. They are often cited as the first true punk rock group.

Billy Idol
"Genres: Punk Rock, Hard Rock, Glam Rock, and New Wave."
No, I don't see 'pop' anywhere in there.

Those are all forms of pop.

Pop means popular music.

Hard rock and punk rock are very popular forms of music. Thus they are pop. I dont care what somebody else says these are my definitions. There is gray area here deal with it.

If you punks don't want him, classic rockers will claim him.

Billy Idol
"Genres: Punk Rock, Hard Rock, Glam Rock, and New Wave."
No, I don't see 'pop' anywhere in there.

Like I said, you don't know what pop music is.

Back