is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people in this thread have actually trained in KM?

Have you seen the training sessions? The training obviously doesn't prepare you to face a real life situation, simply because there is hardly any resistance from your sparring partners. They let you perform these krav maga tactics on them. In a real street fight, there will be wild, fast punches from every direction and stumbling around and the krav maga guy simply won't have the experience to fight a real opponent who IS resisting and IS actually trying to knock the shit out of you. They aren't ready for a full contact match up.

I am in agreement with you that I think non-resistance training is immensely unpractical. However, the majority of people who have posted here claiming to have taken KM say they have participated in resistance training.

In addition, if a boxer can obliterate a krav maga guy, then technically he would easily obliterate the street thug, correct? Therefore, boxing is a much better form of self defense for a street scenario.

No. KM is situational training. This is "what do you do against a guy you know nothing about, what options do you have" training. I don't know if it works or not, I have never taken it. But hypothetically, the KM guy will make better judgements during a street fight than a boxer. Hypothetically.

I mean, the first thing KM should teach you is if someone comes at you with a knife or gun, give up your shit and see if he goes away. If it doesn't teach you that, it's a scam for sure.

Furthermore, I think the people that train in krav are just lazy and don't wan to train in a real sport. Because lets face it, boxing/bjj training isn't easy. S&C, endurance, etc. are vital in these sports and aren't easy things to accomplish. Also, in a competitive sports like boxing or bjj, you have to face other trained opponents which will be difficult and you risk getting hurt.

Eesh, lazy? Let's back off that statement a bit. They are either duped into believing it is a better self defense art than boxing (if you are correct ) or rather train for the streets than competition (if others are correct).
I don't think anyone says, "gee, I wanna learn a self defense but I wanna take the shortcut route. Lemme learn KRAV MAGA!"

And I really do believe this concept is true: most of the time, you will not get into a bar fight with a world class boxer. I think there IS a fair degree of separation between the way you fight in the ring and the way you fight in real life.

Hey, I'll agree with you, if there is no resistance training, you can only go so far into really protecting yourself. But I'm not sure you really know much about KM. I spent no more than ten minutes on youtube and I saw about 30 videos of Krav Maga sparring and pseudo resistance training. Some of it looked kooky (sparring with one hand for some reason, wrestling blindfolded) but other things looked REALLY valuable (fighting starting from off your back, fake knife combat WITH ACTUAL RESISTANCE) and other videos just looked like actual boxing. And if all that is actually taught, then I think Krav Maga can be really useful.

Of course, I could say "it depends on the gym" but something tells me you're a kind of "all or nothing" guy, right?

pretty sure if a guy comes at me from behind with a gun or a knife and asks for my money, i would give him my fucking money. You would attack some crazy, trigger happy meth head with a gun? I'd rather give up my phone and my wallet than risk getting stabbed or shot. And I'm pretty sure that goes for the rest of these krav warriors. All that pseudo training goes out the window when you are faced with a life and death situation, with a crackhead having a knife or a gun to your back.

I've also seen a lot of videos on youtube regarding krav. All of the training is unrealistic. The only realistic part is when they do boxing drills.

Whatever, I honestly don't care. I just get sick and tired of seeing these krav threads pop up. These krav fighters can continue their pseudo training and pretend as if they can take out real athletes like mma fighters and boxers. When in reality, their fighting methods are only suited for an old homeless people. The whole thing is just a goddamn joke.

pretty sure if a guy comes at me from behind with a gun or a knife and asks for my money, i would give him my fucking money. You would attack some crazy meth head with a gun? I'd rather give up my phone and my wallet than risk getting stabbed or shot. And I'm pretty sure that goes for the rest of these krav warriors. All that pseudo training goes out the window when you are faced with a life and death situation, with a crackhead having a knife or a gun to your back.

I've also seen a lot of videos on youtube regarding krav. All of the training is unrealistic. The only realistic part is when they do boxing drills.

Whatever, I honestly don't care. I just get sick and tired of seeing these krav threads pop up. These krav fighters can continue their pseudo training and pretend as if they can take out real athletes like mma fighters and boxers. The whole thing is just a goddamn joke.

I get sick of the threats too, mostly because there is a search function, but also because the only way a person can make a judgement if they TRAIN and make their own decisions. A bad question is "is Krav Maga good?" A good question is, "Hey I went to this Krav Maga dojo. We did this. My instructor said we'd be doing this. I feel like this. What do you guys think?"

But I think you be hating a tad too much, especially since you called them lazy, lol.

pretty sure if a guy comes at me from behind with a gun or a knife and asks for my money, i would give him my fucking money. You would attack some crazy, trigger happy meth head with a gun? I'd rather give up my phone and my wallet than risk getting stabbed or shot. And I'm pretty sure that goes for the rest of these krav warriors. All that pseudo training goes out the window when you are faced with a life and death situation, with a crackhead having a knife or a gun to your back.

Whatever, I honestly don't care. I just get sick and tired of seeing these krav threads pop up. These krav fighters can continue their pseudo training and pretend as if they can take out real athletes like mma fighters and boxers. When in reality, their fighting methods are only suited for an old homeless people. The whole thing is just a goddamn joke.
You seem to be missing the point of KM and self defense in general.

It is meant as a last resort against someone, whether they have a weapon or not.

You're just jealous because I'd rip your heart out with my Krav Maga skills; I don't blame you.

Now, I have never actually trained in KM, but I assume I'd be able to do that after a weekend seminar.

So mixed martial arts?

Nononono dude, see, there's a distinct difference.

The difference is, this is a mixed martial arts message board, not a Krav Maga message board. You understand?

So mixed martial arts?
No.
More like 'mix different arts together with the focus on self defence situations', not competing in MMA sanctioned events.

I cant recall ever seeing it used in actual combat.

Question for you. Have you ever been in actual combat?

Krav maga lacks technique and the lack of resistance training doesn't help it eother. I've been to a friends krav class and sure they did sparring but they all had horible technique that could've been taught peoperly from boxing + wrestling or even an mma class. The trained agression is retarded as well, I'd rather have my composure when faced with a tough scenario so I can asses the best action. Not start attacking with shitty technique coupled with engrained just bleed agression. A jab from a boxer would probably negate 98% of the Krav practicioners. Learn a full contact art or do a traditional martial art.

But dont dress something that is VERY similar to aikido and other TMA's into being a full contact self defence. Thats just lying and endangering the lives of the practicioners.

You seem to be missing the point of KM and self defense in general.

It is meant as a last resort against someone, whether they have a weapon or not.

You're just jealous because I'd rip your heart out with my Krav Maga skills; I don't blame you.

Now, I have never actually trained in KM, but I assume I'd be able to do that after a weekend seminar.

Fuck the seminar. Is there some special technique to groin kicking that I don't know about? Grab a friend and get busy with those groin kicks. The whole ripping the heart out is the coward's way out, imo.

Edit: A she-devil has already ripped my heart out long ago.

Sorry to go all gay on you. I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
No.
More like 'mix different martial arts together, without focusing on either discipline'. In addition, the other self defense bullshit like gun/knife defense varies from dojo to dojo. Mainly because it is made up on the spot by the 'instructor' .

fixed.

Krav maga lacks technique and the lack of resistance training doesn't help it eother. I've been to a friends krav class and sure they did sparring but they all had horible technique that could've been taught peoperly from boxing + wrestling or even an mma class. The trained agression is retarded as well, I'd rather have my composure when faced with a tough scenario so I can asses the best action. Not start attacking with shitty technique coupled with engrained just bleed agression. A jab from a boxer would probably negate 98% of the Krav practicioners. Learn a full contact art or do a traditional martial art.

But dont dress something that is VERY similar to aikido and other TMA's into being a full contact self defence. Thats just lying and endangering the lives of the practicioners.

well to this degree krav maga would be like a boxer or wrestler or mma fighter who is trained to be tough aggresive and active; but doesn't have textbook or even really good def/off/counter skills. Like a leonard garcia-ponce de leon-diego sanchez; guys who have education/skills; but don't show them at a high level, getting by on aggression intensity and toughness. Guy who often get befuddled or dismantled when facing guys with better styles or technique; so krav maga, from what i am understanding, teaches you base level skills (comparitively to legit arts) and basically conditions you mentally and ohysically to fight in a certain mannaer. I.e. all out war offense aggression.

No.
More like 'mix different arts together with the focus on self defence situations', not competing in MMA sanctioned events.

So mixed martial arts but deadlier.

This Krav Maga stuff sounds awesome.

you don't need any training to squeeze someones nutsack.
my wife has never trained in anything but krabi krabong, if i get her in a RNC she will go for the nuts.
anyone will in the street if the lights are about to go out.

a real roc and she can still reach your nuts? i don't think your coin it right brah

krav maga aka paying for someone to teach you how to kick someone in the nuts/poke them in the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back