It's squaturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad strong norwegian doing smith squats

Coan did a lot of assistance work after his main lifts. He used to do one legged leg press following squats for example, he felt it helped prevent injury from muscle imbalances. Marty Gallaghers book "The Purposeful Primitive" has a whole section on Coan's old training templates, as well as guys like Furnas, Karwoski and other greats. Can't say enough about it. One of my favorite lifting books ever.

Coming back from a badly torn groin so I did 245 x5x5 today. Felt good to be squattin again.

Happy Squaturday everyone. Here's a pic of my fiancee squatting today

11iereu.jpg

Edit: She's back from a two week hiatus due to a stomach virus. She was last doing 3x5@160 but we decieded to start off a bit lighter, mcuh to her chagrin:) And yes i know its a bit high bar but that's what works for her.

Friday: worked up to 8X88kg, then did 5X10 with 40 - 50kg on the Bar(BBB).

Happy Squaturday everyone. Here's a pic of my fiancee squatting today

11iereu.jpg

Edit: She's back from a two week hiatus due to a stomach virus. She was last doing 3x5@160 but we decieded to start off a bit lighter, mcuh to her chagrin:) And yes i know its a bit high bar but that's what works for her.

Squatting High Bar is nothing to apologize for. IMHO, High Bar vs Low Bar is more a matter of personal preference than anything else; both will make you strong.

Squatting High Bar is nothing to apologize for. IMHO, High Bar vs Low Bar is more a matter of personal preference than anything else; both will make you strong.

You're right. Its just people and their shit like "HB squats are for the bodybuilders" and/or "It neglects your posterior chain" that really gets to me.

You're right. Its just people and their shit like "HB squats are for the bodybuilders" and/or "It neglects your posterior chain" that really gets to me.

People say "HB squats are for bodybuilders"? That''s new to me.

If anything, the snobbery that I see is against LB squats: a lot of people seem to think that HB squats are a kind of cheating, shortening the ROM so that you can move more weight. There's that "high bar squats develop strength, low bar squats express it" thing, too. Of course snobbery in either direction is stupid.

People say "HB squats are for bodybuilders"? That''s new to me.

If anything, the snobbery that I see is against LB squats: a lot of people seem to think that HB squats are a kind of cheating, shortening the ROM so that you can move more weight. There's that "high bar squats develop strength, low bar squats express it" thing, too. Of course snobbery in either direction is stupid.

I've never gotten the drama. Squatting is squatting, As long as you hit parallel. Or fuck, at least try to if you're inflexible.

I don't really think that's true. Sure the quadriceps is much more involved. But I wouldn't say the posterior chain is neglected.

Also, who says HB is for BB'ers ? That's retarded.

Well, my quads are looking mighty jackt. I got dat der teardrop.

Who doesn't want jakt quads? As long as you have the hamstring and glutes to match, it's all good. You don't want to embarrass yourself by showing off your stick legs when you wear your rehband warm pants do you?

LB Squats + Front Squats. You get stronger and jacked teardrop legs! (Assuming you aren't fat like me :()

Who doesn't want jakt quads? As long as you have the hamstring and glutes to match, it's all good. You don't want to embarrass yourself by showing off your stick legs when you wear your rehband warm pants do you?

Where do curls fit in ?

Where do curls fit in ?

You don't really need to curl. Nobody really sees your arms when you're wearing a long sleeve shirt anyway. If you really want, I guess you could do some curls on deadlift day, but don't go past 90 or you'll wreck your elbows.

You don't really need to curl. Nobody really sees your arms when you're wearing a long sleeve shirt anyway. If you really want, I guess you could do some curls on deadlift day, but don't go past 90 or you'll wreck your elbows.

Perfect. Honestly, this was the best 1000th reply ever. And for it to be in the squaterday thread, well you just don't get better than that.

EDIT: Tosa's post originally showed up at 1000th. Odd.

Every day, doesn't this go without saying?

All day err day ? Or just everyday ?

You can't curl all day err day, because you need time to flex in the mirror also.

Bah. If you take your curling seriously you should be curing around 160lbs x30, like Poundstone is in this video:

At that point, your gunz will be so big, people will be able to make them out if you are wearing one of those inflatable sumo wrestler suits.

The whole high vs low bar squat argument comes from the pro vs anti Rippetoe camps. Just recently I read anb article by some guy who said he started SS and claims he did not gain an ounce of muscle but all fat which went directly to his glutes(seriously wtf?) and proceeded to bash Mark in every possible way while touting the HB squat as better than the low bar and that the quads are way more important than the hips. Of course all of us can tell that he is: a)a real fuckin moron. b) He probably modified the program and did it his way and thus it didn't work.

I do LB because I'm a powerlifter and because my hips have always been a weka point(and no I'm not "quad dominant" either) but everyone is different, find what suits your needs.

BTW here's a link to the moron's page
My Quest For Big Legs | Rookiejournal.com

Low bar makes my left shoulder feel like total crap. And I've never really had shoulder problems. I'm probably doing something wrong. I'm able keep better form and stay a little tighter with high bar squats......so I'm going with what feels right and keeps me injury free.

I've done goblet squats in the past and really enjoyed them, I'd like to start doing front squats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back