Jon Jones is proof that Calfs absolutely don't matter. I'm Proud to be part of No Calf Master Race!

But you wonder why he can't dunk...
A lot of people get confused by how guys with skinny legs jump so high in basketball...the power to leap comes mostly from your upper leg (butt and thigh) muscles which are usually covered by shorts. A lot of basketball players have skinny lower legs and massive upper leg muscles that you don't see. In Jones's case, I think he's a decent athlete but not an incredible athlete at all. He wins because he's smarter and more creative than his opponents (despite making idiotic decisions outside the cage).

It's easier to burst & propel yourself with calf muscles, not to say it's a game changer but in sports like sprinting, wrestling, high jump etc are all sports where a nice explosive set of legs will help you a lot.
tumblr_lyoh5kAH5X1rnpheko1_500.jpg

ben-askren-of-the-united-states-walks-off-the-mat-after-losing-to-picture-id112888437

Ben Askren...Amazing wrestler...No Calfs.

george-leeman-belt-position.jpg

12555937_469491033236071_1314213639_n.jpg

WTF are you talking about? plenty of Strongman/powerlifters don't have huge calfs, at all......They are relatively small compared to the rest of their body(Upper torst/thighs)
I'm not saying if you don't have calf muscles you cannot lift.

I'm just saying that it's definitely not going to hurt you, is it?

Also, the guy in that picture's calf muscles are about twice the size of Jones.

How do you reconcile this with your thread about the Japanese being the baddest men on the planet? They all have huge calves.

They are the reason he can fight at LHW. If he had cain size lower body there would be no way he would be able to make 205.
Regardless, he is fighting other LHW...Doesn't even dehydrate himself alot.

The other LHW's have bigger size calfs than him.......and it doesn't workout for them, does it?

Therefore Calfs are pointless...or else all LHW's with amazing calfs would surely destroy Jon Jones.

Robert Smith, a 2x Pro Bowl runningback for the VIkings, had tiny calves. Even so, he averaged nearly 5 yard per carry (4.8) for his career, holds the record for average yards per touchdown at 27.2 yards per TD, and is the Vikings 2nd alltime leading rusher behind Adrian Peterson. Despite a series of early career injuries, he had four straight 1,000 yard seasons from 97-2000, and retired in his prime following the best season of his career when he ran for an NFL leading 1521 yards.

I have baby calves, and my senior year I was hand timed (in grass) at 4.56. Calf size means nothing.

I'm not saying if you don't have calf muscles you cannot lift.

I'm just saying that it's definitely not going to hurt you, is it?

Also, the guy in that picture's calf muscles are about twice the size of Jones.
Dude they weight 320+lbs......They are way bigger overall but their calfs are still small compared to the rest of their bodies.

Bigger calfs dont hurt....but there is no evidence that if u have gigantic calfs, u can suddenly deadlift/squat more.

I dont have calves, but most people don't understand that it genetic.

Hate the 'don't skip leg day' shite

98% have normal calves, and didn't do nothing for them.

Jones is the most successful 'no-calves athlete!

A ray of sunshine for the none calve people

Hendo and Rampage would be proud of this thread.....Their calves are non-existent as well

How do you reconcile this with your thread about the Japanese being the baddest men on the planet? They all have huge calves.
I know, asian genetics....That was back in the day, and they were the baddest men because they knew how to fight...had nothing to do with calfs.

Jon Jones is the baddest man on the planet now.

this is up there for stupidest threads i've ever read. anyone who has ever done any kind of athletic activity knows big muscles arnt always functional and functional muscles arn't always big.

Quick analysis of Jones body for shertards:

Not known for a random goof but weak calfs = weak punch. That's why Jones will never be a KO artist with his punches.

On the other hand Jones got ridiculous upper body core strength and solid thighs. That's why he is able to be so creative with his kicks and standup overall and is often referred as more powerful than expected by his opponents.

/thread

Last edited:
Dude they weight 320+lbs......They are way bigger overall but their calfs are still small compared to the rest of their bodies.

Bigger calfs dont hurt....but there is no evidence that if u have gigantic calfs, u can suddenly deadlift/squat more.
Fair play, I see that.

I just did some basic research to see what the forums on weightlifting thought.

This one post made me think "this guy has a good point" - I don't think they are essentially, but I do think they help.

Train your calves hard using the standing calf machine and doing sets of 6-8 reps and watch how easy the setup is when squating. Think about it, the first part of a squat is backing up (using calves)... strong calves make the walk out easier and makes for a better set up... a better setup can mean a better squat attempt.

He does have a point.

Back