Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Not just experience, but high level experience. We have 3 fighters who fought for the BW title and almost all the BW's who dropped down have several fights each against top 5 or at worst top 10 ranked opponents up in the UFC's BW division (Chookagian is the only one without big fight experience). That's a lot of battle hardening for the vets dropping down to Flyweight. It's like congratulations, you're an Invicta champ, that's nice, I've already fought 2 UFC champs up at BW.

Did not look at the numbers, so thank you for pointing that out. 125 will be the marquee women's division once it sorts itself out a bit. WBW will really open up. I know Sarah K wants to come back, but she is another whom I think the game has passed by.

Lol, If her name was really Gwenhwyfar I'd be the biggest fanboy ever and Siwan Jedrzejczyk could take a hike.

Location confirmed ;)

'Siwan Jedrzejczyk' has me now thinking there should be a a fighter with a Brythonic/Goidelic first name and a Polish surname to create a being of utter unpronouncibility.
Then when B. Buffer tries to read out their name, he will finally explode down his shriekbox with a deafening screech, ridding the announcing world of of his shadow.

On the topic of names, the poster for Joanna Contender's upcoming fight made me lol. Spot the odd one out:

MV5BNzkyMjE1MWUtOTFmNS00YmU2LTk2ZGQtOWU0OWE0NDNlZTBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDE4MzA0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,692,1000_AL_.jpg

Location confirmed ;)

'Siwan Jedrzejczyk' has me now thinking there should be a a fighter with a Brythonic/Goidelic first name and a Polish surname to create a being of utter unpronouncibility.
Then when B. Buffer tries to read out their name, he will finally explode down his shriekbox with a deafening screech, ridding the announcing world of of his shadow.

On the topic of names, the poster for Joanna Contender's upcoming fight made me lol. Spot the odd one out:

MV5BNzkyMjE1MWUtOTFmNS00YmU2LTk2ZGQtOWU0OWE0NDNlZTBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDE4MzA0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,692,1000_AL_.jpg

Holy shit. Three fights I actually want to see. Its been a while.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/liz-carmouche-kid-got-her-sick-battle-illness-ufc-boise-win

“My 2-year-old was really sick leading up to this,” Carmouche told MMAjunkie after Saturday’s bout, which streamed on UFC Fight Pass from CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho. “I was like, all right, I’ve been able to not get it. My wife, she was sick. I’m like, OK, they both got sick. I was fine. Then the last week it finally got me. I was like, ahhh, they got me!”

Now I know why she looked bummed after victory.

Even my opponent tonight, she was 142 (pounds), and I was 133 (pounds), and that’s after I drank a bottle of water. …

WMMA content provider extrodinaire awiv/ReactQ uploaded the latest Cassie Robb fight (vs Katie Saull at KOTC this last weekend).

I will 'spoil' the result:

The fight went to decision and Saull took a unan dec win which reduces Cassie's record to 2-10.
This had me wondering: who has the worst record in WMMA? There has been a lot of talk about certian serial losers in MMMA, but it struck me not many in WMMA have the requisite double digit losses and minimal (if any) wins to qualify for this kind of award. Who are the Scottina Blevins and Kennethqua Allens of WMMA?

awiv suggested the following:

Anastasia Bruce (0-11)

Rachel Sazoff (1-9)

Tabitha Trevino (1-8)

Ronni Nanney (2-9)

This puts the 'Savage Beauty' Anastasia Bruce in reverse-pole position (fnarr) with her 0-11 record.
Anybody know of anybody with a worse record who can stand head and shoulders arse and ankles with the above? Surely JWMMA must have produced a can of equal or superior unquality?

btw, here is one of Bruce's fights. She's actually not quite as hopeless as you'd expect from a 0-11 WMMA fighter IMO, and her hairstyle makes me think of Mickey Mouse. She's only 23, too, so still time for her to start putting it all together and make a run for that UFC title and accompanying pile of Reebok money™.

Here are some good women's fights coming up that I don't believe anyone has talked about.

37125717_10155961631699775_5383655769398837248_n.jpg

Julia Avila (4-1) will fight Ashley Deen (3-4) at HD MMA 13 on August 25th. She got the nod from Invicta to take a fight outside of the promotion and get a win back after her unfortunate quick hand injury loss to Marceia Allen.

37340502_1779307292155550_3627783459876896768_n.jpg

Top Panamanian prospect Joselyne Edwards (7-1) makes her return for The Fight Series promotion when she fights former KOTC Champion Brenda Gonzales (8-3) on August 17th.

35268185_10155647673966801_3879865183652282368_n.jpg

Lisa Spangler (1-0) and Kelly Clayton (0-1) will fight on the undercard of CageSport 52 this weekend. This will be Spangler's first fight since making her pro debut for Invicta against Sarah Kleczka this past May.

Last edited:
WMMA content provider extrodinaire awiv/ReactQ uploaded the latest Cassie Robb fight (vs Katie Saull at KOTC this last weekend).

I will 'spoil' the result:

The fight went to decision and Saull took a unan dec win which reduces Cassie's record to 2-10.
This had me wondering: who has the worst record in WMMA? There has been a lot of talk about certian serial losers in MMMA, but it struck me not many in WMMA have the requisite double digit losses and minimal (if any) wins to qualify for this kind of award. Who are the Scottina Blevins and Kennethqua Allens of WMMA?

awiv suggested the following:

Anastasia Bruce (0-11)

Rachel Sazoff (1-9)

Tabitha Trevino (1-8)

Ronni Nanney (2-9)

This puts the 'Savage Beauty' Anastasia Bruce in reverse-pole position (fnarr) with her 0-11 record.
Anybody know of anybody with a worse record who can stand head and shoulders arse and ankles with the above? Surely JWMMA must have produced a can of equal or superior unquality?

btw, here is one of Bruce's fights. She's actually not quite as hopeless as you'd expect from a 0-11 WMMA fighter IMO, and her hairstyle makes me think of Mickey Mouse. She's only 23, too, so still time for her to start putting it all together and make a run for that UFC title and accompanying pile of Reebok money™.

Anastasia Bruce has a bout scheduled July 27. The Savage Beauty has nowhere to go but up. I'm rooting for her. All aboard the train. Choo choo! Confirmed Upcoming Bout

Did not look at the numbers, so thank you for pointing that out. 125 will be the marquee women's division once it sorts itself out a bit. WBW will really open up. I know Sarah K wants to come back, but she is another whom I think the game has passed by.

I was surprised myself, I knew Shevchenko, Carmouche, and Davis all have title fight experience but I didn't think the others had as many quality fights as they do. Folks in the main forum make fun of Ashlee Evans-Smith and Jessica Eye's losing streaks all the time, but then you look at their opponents and there's Pennington, Reneau, Vieira, Kaufman, Tate, Pena, and McMann among others. That's a pretty solid list of opponents for any fighter. Jessica and AES didn't have a good record up at WBW, but seriously, look who they were fighting, most of the division would struggle to have a winning record against those fighters.

Funny you should mention this. I just got done crunching the numbers for the first half of the year and should have an individual breakdown of the divisions posted in a few days. The overall pro stats article will be posted today and will post a link in here.

I was surprised myself, I knew Shevchenko, Carmouche, and Davis all have title fight experience but I didn't think the others had as many quality fights as they do. Folks in the main forum make fun of Ashlee Evans-Smith and Jessica Eye's losing streaks all the time, but then you look at their opponents and there's Pennington, Reneau, Vieira, Kaufman, Tate, Pena, and McMann among others. That's a pretty solid list of opponents for any fighter. Jessica and AES didn't have a good record up at WBW, but seriously, look who they were fighting, most of the division would struggle to have a winning record against those fighters.

Yeah, this is why I favor the 135 women moving down. Fighting bigger and better competition.

Funny you should mention this. I just got done crunching the numbers for the first half of the year and should have an individual breakdown of the divisions posted in a few days. The overall pro stats article will be posted today and will post a link in here.

Looking forward to this.

Whenever Invicta contract is up for renewal they need to have it where they have 1 card a month. This card every two months thing is way to infrequent. It makes it hard for them to gain any momentum when after a show I usually forget they even exist until about a week before their next show.

Considering Invicta has one of the smallest budgets a monthly show
wouldn't be plausible without asking the fighters to fight for free or
close to it.

Next Invicta is Saturday 8pm ET. Enjoy their full cards. Especially look forward to Frey-Grusander. From wiki:

Invicta FC 30: Frey vs. Grusander
Date
July 21, 2018
Venue Scottish Rite Temple
City Kansas City, Missouri
Invicta FC 30: Frey vs. Grusander is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be headlined by Jinh Yu Frey vs. Minna Grusander fighting for the vacant atomweight championship. Alesha Zappitella was scheduled to fight Shino VanHoose but VanHoose pulled out due to injury and was replaced by Jillian DeCoursey. Kerri Kenneson was set to fight Alexa Conners but Conners pulled out due to injury. Stephanie Geltmacher, who had her Bellator fight cancelled on July 12, stepped in to replace Conners.
Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
Atomweight Jinh Yu Frey vs. Minna Grusander [a]
Featherweight Felicia Spencer vs. Helena Kolesnyk
Strawweight Kinberly Novaes vs. Heather Jo Clark
Flyweight Miranda Maverick vs. Brogan Walker-Sanchez
Bantamweight Stephanie Geltmacher vs. Kerri Kenneson
Atomweight Jillian DeCoursey vs. Alesha Zappitella
Atomweight Alyse Anderson vs. Stephanie Alba
Flyweight Erin Blanchfield vs. Brittney Cloudy

Alesha Zappitella was scheduled to fight Shino VanHoose but VanHoose pulled out due to injury and was replaced by Jillian DeCoursey. Kerri Kenneson was set to fight Alexa Conners but Conners pulled out due to injury.

If this part would have never happened I'd be way more psyched.

Still.... Quintet 2 has me ready to go for this. It took forever, then snuck up.

Looks like Suarez is on the fast track. If she gets past Carla (which she should without too much trouble) she'll likely get a #1 contender fight next and after that it's the title.

Back