Rumored Report: Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Apparently 'Bombed' In Terms Of U.S. PPV Buys

What fight. Had he stayed, Jones woulda gotten injured and that fight would have been canceled. Francis woulda been screwed over.

Francis made the right choice. 10 million not giving in to the baldfathers bullshit and now he is worth even more if he fights again. Whereas Jon, if he comes back, will probably never make that amount unless he fights Francis.

Francis IS the money fight in this HW shit now, like it or not.

Jon would've got injured for a fight he literally fought at?

<WhatIsThis>

It doesn't matter when the Crown Prince can round up all his hunnid billionaire cousins in the Ritz Hotel and force them at gunpoint to buy a PPV each at 10 mil

You book the rematch in Las Vegas at a normal time and it will sell, especially now after many think Francis won.

Who in the Hell is going to hit the bar at 2 in the afternoon to watch boxing?

Did you say bar?

giphy.gif

And quite frankly Francis still lost 7-10 rounds (with one being a 10-8 & one being a 9-9 because Francis was losing that round).
Here is the GOAT delusional post.
Not even John Fury would agree.

Yes Francis proved himself, but it was a one off
Doesn't mean other crossovers will work

Also I don't know why you are talking about fighter pay? I couldn't care less of if fighters get paid nothing. It's no skin off my nose if they are broke, or the richest stars in the world

The fact is, the fight bombed badly and fair play to francis, but fans didn't care, otherwise they would have paid for the fight
Agreed 100%

These fighters sign contracts so I cant complain for them if they sign.

I'd like to see a link to proof the fight bombed.

It makes sense, Francis isn’t that big of draw he’s popular but not Conor levels of draw, and everybody including myself thought Tyson was gonna destroy Francis

Here is the GOAT delusional post.
Not even John Fury would agree.
He won Rounds 3 & 8. Fury should’ve been DQ’d the one round where he through the elbow. I haven’t seen one credible source give a breakdown in which Francis won more than TWO rounds or THREE depending on how you view DQ rounds. Please enlighten me? And do explain how Francis was NOT soundly out-landed and it’s my lying eyes …
{<doc}

The ppv started at like 11 am on the west coast in North America lol of course it did shit numbers

Yup. I was at work when it was on and I poked around for a stream but got busy and then just read the PBP results after it was over. I would have watched it if it was on at night but in fairness I still wouldn't have paid for it.

Classic game plan from the Saudis at this point...they are willing to burn money to get something off the ground.

Let's see if there is similar apathy for the rematch (or whatever Francis' next move is), given how much the first one diverged from expectations.

Regardless of how narrow (or not) the gap is between what Francis earned against Fury vs. what a Jones PPV headliner title fight would have earned, it seems undeniable that Francis' next pay day will be *far* more than what a subsequent fight in the UFC would have paid (and if he lost to Jones, bye bye PPV points...so the alleged 8 million shrinks to a fraction of that amount, whereas his 'loss' against Fury did not erode his future earning potential).

Even if Francis would have SQUASHED Jones, then what? Stipe again? Pav or Aspinall? Those fights will not pay Francis what he will earn in another boxing match, regardless of whether it is Fury again or someone like Wilder or Joshua.

Francis bet on himself and won. Everyone just needs to accept that fact. The details are irrelevant...that is what happened.

It doesn't matter if the PPV sold well...and Chael's rants about how this is not 'good business' or deviates from the normal model are completely irrelevant...what matters is the paycheque that Francis is cashing. If the Saudis lost money, why would Francis give one fuck? Did the cheque clear? Cool. Is there another fat offer on the table? Cool.

The knock down was fantastic tv but the rest of the fight sucked
Yeah they absolutely milked the main event because they knew people would buy it for that but the complete atrocity surrounding it could not be compensated for.

Classic game plan from the Saudis at this point...they are willing to burn money to get something off the ground.

Let's see if there is similar apathy for the rematch (or whatever Francis' next move is), given how much the first one diverged from expectations.

Regardless of how narrow (or not) the gap is between what Francis earned against Fury vs. what a Jones PPV headliner title fight would have earned, it seems undeniable that Francis' next pay day will be *far* more than what a subsequent fight in the UFC would have paid (and if he lost to Jones, bye bye PPV points...so the alleged 8 million shrinks to a fraction of that amount, whereas his 'loss' against Fury did not erode his future earning potential).

Even if Francis would have SQUASHED Jones, then what? Stipe again? Pav or Aspinall? Those fights will not pay Francis what he will earn in another boxing match, regardless of whether it is Fury again or someone like Wilder or Joshua.

Francis bet on himself and won. Everyone just needs to accept that fact. The details are irrelevant...that is what happened.

It doesn't matter if the PPV sold well...and Chael's rants about how this is not 'good business' or deviates from the normal model are completely irrelevant...what matters is the paycheque that Francis is cashing. If the Saudis lost money, why would Francis give one fuck? Did the cheque clear? Cool. Is there another fat offer on the table? Cool.

Why would the next fight be bigger? This was the biggest fight and had the novelty factor. The next has neither.

This isn't Rocky man.

The only way I'd ever pay fucking $80 for a ppv, is if I could make every single fight on the card with any fighter I want in any era

The fact that any PPV buys matters nowadays is ignorant when we live in a streaming culture.
The amount of eyes collectively watching is astronomical.
Of course PPV buys are never gonna be close to what they once used to be.

Move those goalposts random Sherdogger! Tank v Garcia did Blockbuster PPV numbers. That was ugh, THIS CALENDAR YEAR. I honestly didn’t care until goalposts started to get repositioned just for Francis. Tank Davis and Ryan Garcia made the vast bulk of their money off the PPV split.

ppv buys don't define the value of a fight or the fighters. The fight was legendary and it's gonna be talked about a lot in the next decade. What casuals buy or don't buy is irrelevant.

Tell that to Floyd Mayweather and Conor whose 100 million & 30 million split was mainly off PPV. But apparently Francis suddenly plays but new rules where it’s all about the Gate & chatter, or folks are simply moving the goalposts?
https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/ne...for-record-breaking-100m-gervonta-davis-fight
This link reveals that in this same calendar year, Ryan Garcia and Tank Davis took home 30 million plus (each) via PPV.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/b...rvonta-davis-take-home-after-record-ppv-buys/
This link reveals that minus the PPV Garcia was due 2.5 million and Tank was due 5 million. Thus, the PPV was extremely important for their fight. But hey, let’s move the goalposts for Francis.

As far as the Saudi’s business method goes, anybody ever heard of the … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble … Ariel is acting like that losing money method is sustainable and I honestly think it’s his feud with Dana that’s making him irrational. Common sense says that method cannot continue to work.

Last edited:
The rematch is gonna do amazing numbers though. I feel like part of that was the "Tyson is going toy with Ngannou" narrative.

Yeah forcing 80 dollars on a fucking freakshow fight was never going to turnout well, especially an early card at that...
Saudis obviously dont care but ESPN should be facepalming right about now, Conor/Floyd got away with it because it was the 2 biggest draws in combat sports history fighting and while Fury has been a decent draw at times hes never been at that level and Ngannou has never been a decent draw period.
Dana literally used to brag how the UFC prices on PPV were so cheap compared to boxing LOL..

Ahh the good old days when I actually ordered almost every card at a reasonable price..

Back