Sean O'Malley vs. Merab Dvalishvili or Sean O'Malley vs. Ilia Topuria - Which fight would you rather see?

Which fight would you rather see?

• Total voters
Merab deserves it ….but he’s so boring I don’t care if he gets skipped

For a sport born with no weight classes, that many sherdoggers think it has "too many divisions already", they surely hate when someone goes after the champion from another division...

Omalley vs Topuria of course, i dont like Omalley and i think he loses to Merab 10/10 times, but i also like to be entertained while watching...

Only reason Merab didn't get a title shot before O'Malley is because Aljo was his boy. He's the obvious number one contender.

Ilia vs Sean would be a fun fight but I prefer Sean fight Merab first

I'd say Sean O'Malley vs. Merab Dvalishvili just because if Merab wins, it'd be fun to watch him walk off with Sean's jacket.

Fighting up a weight class for a current champion shouldn't be so easy to do. It needs to be earned. Volk earned by beating all the top contenders having multiple title defenses first. O'Malley has not earned it yet with only 1 title defense. You owe it to the division to defend your title at least a few times before chasing other belts.

Merab is on a 10 fight winning streak. To not give him the shot next would be criminal..

Keep in mind, he publicly refused to fight the champion and refused a title eliminator. If you jam up the division by refusing to move along, you are to blame. I'd also argue he's securing a title shot without really fighting his peers in the top 5.

#6 Henry Cejudo hadn't won a fight in near 4 years when he fought Merab. He was gifted a title shot and lost, and was fighting coming off a loss. He looked like it.

He fought Yan coming off back to back losses. Aldo in his retirement fight in a absolute stinker.

I agree Merab is 100% the #1 contender, but I don't think its some injustice he didn't get a title shot yet.

Now that Sean O'Malley is virtually a superstar now, he has plenty of options to who he wants to fight.

Who would you like to Sean O'Malley fight next?

Sean-OMalley-Merab.jpg

OMalley-Topuria.jpg
Yeah no it takes more than repeating that some cage fighter is a superstar for him to be a superstar. LOL at this marketing attempt.

Anyways I think that Topuria sends Popsicle to the hospital on a stretcher. Merab is a more interesting matchup and I would like Merab to have a shot. This switching weight class business is horseshit anyways.

Even though that would be a fun fight I rather see both of them defend their belts first. A lot of hungry and/or game contenders waiting. Merab could very well beat Sean and it's possible Ilia could lose to Volk in a rematch or against someone like Max.

Keep in mind, he publicly refused to fight the champion and refused a title eliminator. If you jam up the division by refusing to move along, you are to blame. I'd also argue he's securing a title shot without really fighting his peers in the top 5.

#6 Henry Cejudo hadn't won a fight in near 4 years when he fought Merab. He was gifted a title shot and lost, and was fighting coming off a loss. He looked like it.

He fought Yan coming off back to back losses. Aldo in his retirement fight in a absolute stinker.

I agree Merab is 100% the #1 contender, but I don't think its some injustice he didn't get a title shot yet.
I was referencing the OP. I wasn't basing my opinion solely on Merab's merits (I realize it looked that way). I was also insinuating what O'Malley still needs to do before even considering Super Fights..

O'Malley has only defended his title once. To put him in a Super Fight now without cleaning out his division first is fruitless. Especially to a guy who just won the belt and hasn't defended even once.

So if your not going to give the next shot to Merab fine, but at least give it to someone in the division. Super Fights should be a long way off for both O'Malley and Topuria..imo

O'Malley vs Dvalishvili is one of the most obvious matchups in the history of the sport.

Pretty much no one, not even Dana White, wants to see O'Malley vs Topuria. Only people interested would be O'Malley, who gets a free title shot without risking his own title. That's why all these champs are calling for super fights in the division above them the moment they win the title. They get to fight for a new title without risking their own title. Of course, the champs in the higher division have little interest to allow that, they want to challenge up themselves.

I never really like these questions cuz they don't ever take into account the other fights you would get with one choice or wouldn't get with another.
For instance, voting Ilia vs Sean would cut off the potential fights of Ilia vs Holloway or Evloev or a Volk rematch and Sean vs Merab.

I never really like these questions cuz they don't ever take into account the other fights you would get with one choice or wouldn't get with another.
For instance, voting Ilia vs Sean would cut off the potential fights of Ilia vs Holloway or Evloev or a Volk rematch and Sean vs Merab.
Of course that is taken into account. Anyone picking O'Malley vs. Topuria is choosing super fight over legit matchup within the division. So no one should vote for O'Malley to move up, expect for O'Malley himself and maybe a few of his super fans.

Edit - all these posts all consider what these super fights would do to both divisions:

Fighting up a weight class for a current champion shouldn't be so easy to do. It needs to be earned. Volk earned by beating all the top contenders having multiple title defenses first. O'Malley has not earned it yet with only 1 title defense. You owe it to the division to defend your title at least a few times before chasing other belts.

Merab is a more interesting matchup and I would like Merab to have a shot. This switching weight class business is horseshit anyways.

Even though that would be a fun fight I rather see both of them defend their belts first. A lot of hungry and/or game contenders waiting. Merab could very well beat Sean and it's possible Ilia could lose to Volk in a rematch or against someone like Max.

Back