the joe rogan reaction to the islam vs volk....is legendary

I'm 37 I remeber watching Justin Eilers step in as a last minute replacement against AA for the belt, and when the camera went into the back, Justin was sweating and asked militich if he thought he could win to which Matt replied "I'm going to be honest you're not a favorite" as Matt Hughes has a shit eating grin on his face
I'm 38 will turn 39 this year, still remember the promo where AA said " Good luck Justin" - like a vampire.

What do you mean by this, exactly? I've never heard anodyne be used in this context before.

I mean he states platitudinous truths or banalities as if they were profound statements. And usually camouflages the shallowness of his point by stretching it for far longer than necessary, using far more words than needed.

i thought volk won as well, but it was close enough where i can’t really say it was a “robbery.” i tell one thing tho, islam didn’t really make the case that he’s p4p #1. i think maybe it’s time for the rules to value defensive wrestling, especially if it values “control” without damage or sub attempts.

since “pound for pound” rankings are just a fantasy exercise and basically promotional tools anyway, ufc should have islam and volk share the #1 spot for now. both volk and islam can go back to dominate in their divisions, and maybe run it back in a year or 2. these fighters are both good enough that the question can only be settled by a finish.
Islam is #2 p4p at best

I mean he states platitudinous truths or banalities as if they were profound statements. And usually camouflages the shallowness of his point by stretching it for far longer than necessary, using far more words than needed.
Sorry. I don't/can't disagree with any of that, I'm just confused how anodyne is an applicable adjective for this?

Lot of mma fans like to make up their own rules and then defiantly insist their rules are the actual criteria when in fact, they are merely bobbing up and down in a sea of delusion
The rules on scoring a fight are written in jello, though

It feels like Joe Rogan is the Alpha Brain, son... in the room

Others are just agreeing with him to collect a paycheck

position only matters when effective striking are 100% equal, it says that in the judging criteria

It's not effective grappling if you get punched in the face, just like someone going for a leg lock and eating punches to the face.
You actually have some leverage to throw punches if someone is going for a leg lock and in that scenario I'm with you all the way. Calling effective striking throwing punches behind your head is a reach. Volk was in more danger than Islam and said it was up to him to get out of there and Volk said as much post fight. Not sure why this is still a discussion.

Sorry. I don't/can't disagree with any of that, I'm just confused how anodyne is an applicable adjective for this?

"Anodyne" is commonly used as an adjective to describe something that is inoffensive or trivially agreeable.

You actually have some leverage to throw punches if someone is going for a leg lock and in that scenario I'm with you all the way. Calling effective striking throwing punches behind your head is a reach. Volk was in more danger than Islam and said it was up to him to get out of there and Volk said as much post fight. Not sure why this is still a discussion.
that is a subjective opinion, one guy was still getting punched in the face, the other was not.

you may not think it was effective yet machachev gave up arm position multiple times due to those punches

All 4 people in that room play dumb, but they wear many masks. Deep down there's a lot more intelligence in that room than you know.

There are no idiots who reach the level of wealth and status that Rogan has.

Only idiots who think they know more than they do would think this.

You'd be a fool to underestimate anyone in the entertainment industry in general. Appearances are deceiving, as the saying goes.

But I suppose such a concept is too much to grasp, even for a human of your vast Intelligence.
"They're not dumb. Just pretending to be dumb. You're dumb if you think they're dumb."
Wealth does not predicate intelligence.

"Anodyne" is commonly used as an adjective to describe something that is inoffensive or trivially agreeable.
Fair enough, that is definitely the use I've most commonly heard. I just wasn't sure I was reading your meaning correctly in the context of your statement, as it sort of read to me like 'more idiotic, more innocuous' which tripped me up as I don't necessarily see that as a negative.
Thank you for clarifying that for me (for the record I agree with you lol).

in my own opinion Live first watch i had 2-2 Bias ( as i thought Islam should been smashing him and was looking like more he was getting box up ) going into th 5h... after second look.... 3-2 islam...

that is a subjective opinion, one guy was still getting punched in the face, the other was not.

you may not think it was effective yet machachev gave up arm position multiple times due to those punches
A moot point, Volk himself doesn't think he won the 4th, and Islam was closer to a finish in that position than Volk which is not really subjective. Islam comfortably won the 4th.

Oh, if that doesn't work, I'd ask them if they know that even 1000 taps to the side of the head when you're in a body triangle and 24/7/365 guarding against being choked out means you lost the round. No, seriously. It's not 7 year olds fighting, it means you lost the round.

That should help you buddy.

To be fair, this is exactly why Valentina Schevchenko is still a champion. I completely agree with you, but judging is so subjective and therefore will always be inconsistent.

If Val wasn't so fetishized around here and if people weren't so turned off by Islam (double meaning there) I think there would have been more controversy here about Schev/Santos and less about Volk/Islam.

Joe is always gonna go to bat for a fellow Manlet

A moot point, Volk himself doesn't think he won the 4th, and Islam was closer to a finish in that position than Volk which is not really subjective. Islam comfortably won the 4th.
moving goalposts, what does it matter what volk thinks? He also thought he won the fight. At no point was islam close to winning the fight. His grappling was ineffective and he was being punched in the face.

Back