Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

I found a dead lumpfish on a beach up here years ago. Was so bizarre looking

Yeah, monkeys are just gross

@Zookeeper Gabe, or anyone else, do you have experience w/ tarantulas? my girlfriend & i are thinking about getting one, so i have a few questions

- Are there any specific species that are recommended over others for first time handlers?
- Do you have any recommendations for where I should purchase our tarantula? Should I order one online or should I find a reputable seller nearby? Are any of the major pet store chains worth a look?
- Mealworms or crickets for feeding? Does it make a difference?
- I want to build a shelf above the toilet in our bathroom & put the tank there. Would the moisure from the steam whenever we shower negatively effect the tarantula’s habitat and/or quality of life? Backup locations would be our sunroom or our office.

Thanks

Last edited:
@HenryFlower you still located in Mass? I know the place I would send you for a good spider.
There's quite a few good starter species, I like Chilean rose hairs, Honduran curly hairs are just a few good starter spiders. Some will tolerate handling but they don't love it, most are good for display mostly.
If you were to build something in your bathroom make sure to get a tropical humidity loving species.
Appropriately sized Crickets or roaches are the best feeders.

@HenryFlower you still located in Mass? I know the place I would send you for a good spider.
There's quite a few good starter species, I like Chilean rose hairs, Honduran curly hairs are just a few good starter spiders. Some will tolerate handling but they don't love it, most are good for display mostly.
If you were to build something in your bathroom make sure to get a tropical humidity loving species.
Lol, you got a spider guy. So awesome! Living the dream, bro.

in Providence now, soooo basically still MA, yes lol. So that recommendation would be great.
my girlfriend’s friend recommended the rose hair as well, so that might be our first choice, but i’m really loving the look of the curly hair.
any recommendations for a tropical humidity loving species? we are currently split 50/50 about displaying our new friend in the bathroom or our office. girlfriend is worried people won’t come over to visit if we have a tarantula on display in our bathroom. i’m like, yeah precisely. but either way, a short list of good starter species will be helpful, w/ consideration for bathroom vs office tank placement.

also definitely don’t expect to actually handle the spider physically. just gonna let it live life in its tank. we have two cats so we won’t be taking the spider out in case they accidentally kill the poor thing. so for display is what we are going for.

Awesome man, I didn't realize you lived just a few miles from me.
Cold Blooded Pets in Acushnet MA would be the best place to start, Nick and Hillary (can contact them on fb) could give you all the help you could ever want.

A little closer but not as good of a store is Sabrina's Reptile Kingdom. But they can still help you out.

Awesome man, I didn't realize you lived just a few miles from me.
Cold Blooded Pets in Acushnet MA would be the best place to start, Nick and Hillary (can contact them on fb) could give you all the help you could ever want.

A little closer but not as good of a store is Sabrina's Reptile Kingdom. But they can still help you out.
Yep, got a place over here in the PVD about a year ago to the day, actually. Thanks for the tips man. Really appreciate it. Gonna go w/ your first recommendation. They seem like a reliable source & the reviews back it up. Will report back w/ updates as my tarantula journey moves forward.

Well if you talk to Nick or Hillary can tell them you're a friend of mine.

@Zookeeper Gabe, or anyone else, do you have experience w/ tarantulas? my girlfriend & i are thinking about getting one, so i have a few questions

- Are there any specific species that are recommended over others for first time handlers?
- Do you have any recommendations for where I should purchase our tarantula? Should I order one online or should I find a reputable seller nearby? Are any of the major pet store chains worth a look?
- I want to build a shelf above the toilet in our bathroom & put the tank there. Would the moisure from the steam whenever we shower negatively effect the tarantula’s habitat and/or quality of life? Backup locations would be our sunroom or our office.

Thanks
Had a Mexican Red Leg Tarantula just after University with my roommate.

It was a pretty easy going pet and you could handle it as long as you did not try to close your hand around it and trap it. It would walk all over you fine.

medium.jpg

My roommate kept it after we each moved on and it lived more than 20 years.

I would definitely recommend it for novice owners. And we fed it solely crickets and never had an issue.

Red legs are great, but they have gotten extremely expensive. They are protected in the wild now so all are captive bred and cost a pretty penny.

Fun fact: the bearded vulture is the only bird known to decorate themselves.
They normally look like this:
bearded_vulture_teaser.jpg

but they stain themselves purposely by rubbing soil reddened with iron oxides on their feathers so they look like this:
BeardedVulture1-.jpg

badass huh.

thats metal af

are we sure thats not just the blood of the fallen?

I'm thinking that bird just found his riddum.

gspimp.gif

Well if you talk to Nick or Hillary can tell them you're a friend of mine.
Will do, for sure. Thanks a lot. I’ll have to bring my girlfriend around to the zoo as well once the weather improves since she hasn’t been yet.

unrelated/beer related: You been by the new Proclamation spot in Warwick yet? i’ve been feeling so beer spoiled w/ Proc, Trillium, & Tree House in such close proximity now that they have all opened up new locations that are so much closer now. maybe we’ll grab a beer some time

Servals and a Caracal chasing a laser pointer

Thanks

Been keeping Ts for quite some time, both new and old world. My avatar is one of my previous girls (Cyriopagopus schoedtei (yes I'm aware of the taxonomic change)) stepping out

PM me if you'd like more info, I can give you some recommendations

oh hell no. i would legit shit myself if i came across this

A photograph taken outside an Abigroup project in Cardwell

1012352_10152581031594848_696671428_n.jpg

That picture has been floating around the internet for a long time.

Either way that is a pretty big snake. 15-20ft give or take?

When I was younger 12 or so a plant nursery use to have reptiles of all sorts their around Halloween to help get people to come buy pumpkins.

I was chatting the guy up telling him how I had a red bellied racer and had a couple alligator lizard's. Dude was pretty cool let me hold a baby alligator mouth he taped its mouth shut.

Seeing as it was about closing and no one else was their aside from my family and me he asked if I wanted to pet the reticulated python. He said it was the least he could as he was not gonna let me even near the one I wanted to touch the King Cobra.

Even though the venom glands where removed. Its bite still could still put me in the hospital. That thing would go eye level with you and just stare and watch you it was the coolest thing I ever seen.

That picture has been floating around the internet for a long time.
i just saw it on my facebook feed. is it a photoshop? i mean why does a snake need to be that big? i am not scared of any animals really (not that i am goingto kiss a lion), but yea, i dont really need to be within shouting distance of that

Back