Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

You loathe "white pride" (whatever that is) so I suggested you move to a place where we know beyond the shadow of doubt that "white pride" is absent. I thought it was a reasonable thing to suggest. There's a number of destinations for you to look out for. I would go to South Africa if I were you, it's still livable over there, but as more whites are being chased out, so do the standards of living plunge down. Make a choice, don't be a hypocrite and play both sides. You can't enjoy what you have now and at the same time cry about the current system
If you don't like white pride, move to Africa.

<WellThere>

I'm glad black people finally get a chance to be in movie.

Or whatever is going on here. Hurray!

Hey @Limbo Pete, nice prescience with this thread.
Uncanny.
latest

Great civilizations are initially inspired by great ideas and beautiful fantasies.

The West as we know it can trace its roots to ancient Greek philosophers fetishizing reason & logic.

Many amazing inventions today were fantasies of science fiction that inspired innovators to manifest them to physical reality.

Nothing wrong with people in Africa being inspired by a fantasy about African wealth and glory.

Someday, maybe soon, it will be a reality and this movie will have something to do with it.

I don't understand how you wouldn't want that to happen.

This movie will change nothing in Africa. It's been bought already, it's unstable, and that won't change.

Interesting, I wonder if that's a result of capitalism?

Capitalism's driven a lot of the economic development, but in terms of health and education the changes seem to have come with the shift from autocratic rule to democracy.

Don´t give a rats ass about Africa being a shithole or not.

Don´t give a shit about how black people are portrayed in media.

I thought Black Panther kicked ass 30 years ago in comics and hope to see a good popcorn flick with him kicking ass today..

When you have to find pride in a fantasy film, there's something off about your continent. It's a very entertaining and visually beautiful movie, yet not exactly befitting of social and political reality in Africa. I fully agree that Donald Trump is both petty and vulgar, but was his "shithole" comment so off the mark that people need to rebuke it with a fictional movie?

Or am I just being a party pooper?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/african-viewers-marvel-pride-black-panther-article-1.3827191

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/black-panther-opens-africa-1.4540610

Or you can just have an Australian make a movie off of a book about a Scot, whose author just made shit up, and then have the nation use that film as an inspiration for independence.

th

Waaahhhhhh! A movie about a black super hero?! Wahhhhhhh!

Grow the fuck up

<{outtahere}>

I love the MCU and think Black Panther looks fucking amazing but the hype I've been seeing on my Facebook feed is beyond ridiculous. What I really find funny is how all these black people are now so suddenly into the "cultural" aspect of BP but I didn't hear a peep from these people about the Luke Cage Netflix show.

You would think that a bullet proof black man protecting the streets of Harlem would resonate more with our culture than a movie set in a fictional country on a continent the vast majority of people who talk about the movie never stepped foot on.

Sometimes shutting up is the responsible thing to do. You're American, so I wouldn't expect you to understand - if you guys recognised the occasional, inherent sensibility of minding your own business, the Middle East might not be quite the shithole that it is.

Why should they keep their mouths shut though? Especially when positive things can come from them speaking up.

You’re the type of person who would say the same thing, “mind your own business” during the civil rights era of the 1960s. Good thing people with a platform didn’t take your advice.

But I do agree that our foreign policy sucks

Marvel should create labor man. His super power is that he can multiply an infinite number of times, and can take the shape of any race or sex.

I love the MCU and think Black Panther looks fucking amazing but the hype I've been seeing on my Facebook feed is beyond ridiculous. What I really find funny is how all these black people are now so suddenly into the "cultural" aspect of BP but I didn't hear a peep from these people about the Luke Cage Netflix show.

You would think that a bullet proof black man protecting the streets of Harlem would resonate more with our culture than a movie set in a fictional country on a continent the vast majority of people who talk about the movie never stepped foot on.

Don’t you think a mAjor motion picture gets more press than a Netflix show? In turn getting more eyes on the product.

Plus not everyone has Netflix but anyone can afford a movie ticket for a one time viewing of a movie.

So I think it makes perfect sense this movie has tons of hype behind it

Not really the sort of cinema I watch a lot of, but how much afrocentric cinema is there which isn't '70s blacksploitation or a modern version of the same?
Maybe that's why it's getting so much attention.

Good review here.

10/10

A soaring, aspirational ode to monarchial ethnostates!

That Black Panther will be an exciting, action-packed superhero film is obvious from the second the Marvel fanfare begins. As its narrative unfolds, it becomes just as obvious that the film - about the heroic head of state of a wealthy, technologically-advanced first-world nation with a strict immigration policy whose closest advisers are the strong, beautiful women in his family - is an adulatory homage to Donald Trump. Director Ryan Coogler's decision to use a comic book character from the fictional African nation of Wakanda as his vehicle to deliver his cinematic genuflection to the 45th President of the United States - an aspirational allegory for America - is brilliant in its subversiveness; the choice makes this political parable bulletproof from any specious criticism of racial bigotry, letting the purity and wisdom of its message shine through the screen.

That message, of course, is that a monarchial ethnostate was, remains, and will forever be the best form of national government. If the global experiment of democracy over the last two centuries has shown us anything, it's that populations ought to have a say in their own governance to the extent that children should direct their own parenting: little to none. It's a preposterous proposition. While it's fun to vote yourself piles of candy for dinner every night, the foolishness of the endeavor becomes clear when you've made yourself sick, toothless, and penniless. The royal line from which King T'Challa descends hasn't fallen into this trap, and we see the result: a happy, harmonious people who love the ruler who loves them back.

The more-controversial, but eminently defensible, moral of this superhero story is that ethnic homogeneity is simply the most ideal and natural state of nations. Scolds and scoundrels might squeal, "That's racism!" Not true, replies the student of history; after all, we are all one single human race. Our various cultures, however, are vastly different, and peace with your neighbor can only last when you both share one. That isn't to say that Coogler is claiming there exists no legitimate roles for "the other" in Wakanda. There are - the political refugee, the foreign diplomat - but so often, as personified by Ulysses Klaue (another of Andy Serkis' brilliant CGI character creations, fitting seamlessly into his real-life surroundings), the outsider simply wants to rape and pillage, and if the ruler is to remain a hero, he must prevent such an intrusion by any means possible.

So bravo, Mr. Coogler, and the entire cast and crew, for showing America - and every country on earth - an ideal to strive for. You've made a film that cuts a clear path through the miasmic, rotten jungle of open borders, multiculturalism, and assimilation, so I don't think I exaggerate when I say this: Black Panther may have just saved the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back