Conor vs Aldo is easily the best performance in MMA history

I hate Conor more than anyone.

If I was in a room with Conor, Hitler and Bin Laden and had a gun and two bullets I'd shoot Conor twice.

But to say his win against Aldo was "lucky" is just stupid and wrong.

There are no "lucky" punches in combat sports. They don't exist. What makes it lucky? Because it landed and hurt them? Why do you think people throw punches?

Conor stepped back and landed a perfect shot. Which is exactly what he intended to do. What part of that is "lucky"?

Seek professional help.

I look at McGregor/Aldo as a one night anomaly. It was exciting, but it could also be dismissed as a lucky punch, and it's overall impact is diminished because of what happened after...or more accurately, what didn't happen.

Matt Serra made a dominant, if over hyped (at the time) Georges St Pierre tap to strikes. History views this win as a fluke, because Serra rematched Georges, and had the shit beaten out of him, but at the time, it was hyped as you've described it...one of the greatest performances of all time.
But imagine if Serra ran to a different weight class and cherry-picked opponents with mediocre results? The mystique of his win would still be there, but at best, it would be dubious; except for the people who either loved Serra so much or hated GSP so deeply that it impacted their objectivity.

That's how I see McGregor/Aldo. It was one night. Great performance, but one night.

Great champions defend. The prove they are better on one night, but they cement the performance by doing it again.

I tend to agree. The most impressive performances to me are where fighters dominate a high level opponent for a solid period of time. Single fight ending strikes are less telling to me. Example, Cain vs JDS II and III are more impressive to me than their first fight.

Of course not. A performance is measured by 13 seconds? Doesn't make sense.

giphy.gif
wanna jerk off together?

1. Conor vs Aldo
2. GSP vs Hughes III
3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

Obviously it's not just how impressive the performance is to the naked eye, but also the quality of your opponent that is of an utmost importance in these discussions.

Not a big Conor fan, but sleeping prime Aldo that was undefeated for 10 years in 13 seconds is the most impressive victory by a longshot. It wasn't a fluke, but rather the result of years of training and talent + many months of calculated mental warfare that lead to this happening.

Not sure if it’s the most impressive. But definitely one of the most spectacular.

You're such a big admirer of Forrest?
He was #1 ranked LHW and Silva moved up.

This also isn't a discussion about best win, its performance. He had an incredible performance that showed insane dominance rather than a flash KO

TS never saw Penn vs Uno, Baroni vs Menne, or KZ vs Hominick.

Meh. Conor misread the feint but got lucky and then ran from the rematch.

A bell to bell beatdown like he got from Khabib, being outgrappled and even outstruck, where Conor should have had the advantage, getting dominated so bad he had to constantly cheat to have even one remotely competitive round, now that's impressive.

He was #1 ranked LHW and Silva moved up.

He wasn't #1 ranked LHW. He lost to Rashad, who got him going fetal from his strikes.
He was heavy underdog and no one expected him to win. Moreover, even the outcome of 1st round KO was expected and predicted.

This also isn't a discussion about best win, its performance. He had an incredible performance that showed insane dominance rather than a flash KO

Read the OP: it was also about the quality of the opponent.
If you don't take it into a factor, you can also rate Michael Page's performances against cans. Even more impressive

Aldo not getting a rematch was probably the biggiest dis the UFC has ever given a fighter with anywhere near the status he had.

This thread is a prime example of why they didn't want to give a rematch.

I agree! You cannot take anything away from Conor, but it was not even a fight! Conor really got into his head. I like Aldo, and would love to see a rematch, but I do not think it will happen.

Hendo already lost the unification bout with Rampage. Andy over Forrest and Penn over Sanchez are the two most flawless performances I've ever seen outside of flash knockouts.
Youre right i forgot about the rampage fight

It wasn't a fluke because he called it. If I call 8 ball corner pocket and I get it, its no fluke.

My number one is dillashaw vs barao 1. I also think gsp vs bisping was a monumental win off a 4 year layoff. A finish in a division georges never fought in before, against a champion all while breaking the record for most ufc wins.

Garbrandt vs cruz is also amazing an undefeated prospect with 11 fights dominated cruz.

It wasn't not a fluke because he called it......

It wasn't a fluke because it wasn't a fluke period. No slipping on banana peel, no outside interference. Conor got him punch for punch.

Back