Live PD is my favorite tv show

I know that many PDs are using license plate recognition systems and I wonder if they can also recognize the vehicle make. I wondered because I saw the stop last night where the plate didn't match the vehicle it was on. Systems that can read license plates can probably be programmed to recognize vehicles as well or at least the emblems used by the manufacturers. They should be able to tell a Chevy from a Ford.
Our LPR's try and read the freeway signs as license plates...

The more info you ask it to remember the more bandwidth it eats up, making your CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) run slow as shit.

Ours right now has stolen vehicles and AWSS (warrants) in it. You can add parolees, probationers and custom lists to it too.

I like it too, but never seem to catch the cool episodes with the crazy things going on.

Last edited:
It's very entertaining watching people try to bullshit their way through a situation to try to avoid arrest. The first one tonight was a woman who tried to give the police someone else's name that she got from a Facebook account. She was the passenger in a car they stopped and she wasn't wearing a seat belt. They were going to give her a ticket but she couldn't produce any ID. She had a very bad attitude and thought she knew the law and figured she didn't have to provide ID.

There was a purse in the car and after she had provided the wrong name they searched it. She said it wasn't hers and it didn't belong to the driver. When they found drugs she insisted it be tested immediately and complained that he took it out of her purse and put it in his pocket, thereby admitting it was her purse.

I never carry ID. If I get stopped I let the cops know I am illegal alien from Mexico. Nothing happens. If I do get arrested it never goes on my actual record because I'm illegal!

I also go to the ER for all my medical care. They can NOT refuse care to anyone, and I tell them I am an illegal and don't pay shit.

<GinJuice>

Our LPR's try and read the freeway signs as license plates...

The more info you ask it to remember the more bandwidth it eats up, making your CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) run slow as shit.

Ours right now has stolen vehicles and AWSS (warrants) in it. You can add parolees, probationers and custom lists to it too.

With the memory available today, it seems they could download the stolen and restricted vehicle information to each unit to avoid bandwidth problems. They could probably put the entire state motor vehicle database on a single hard drive. 2 TB solid state external hard drives are available for less than $800.

I never carry ID. If I get stopped I let the cops know I am illegal alien from Mexico. Nothing happens. If I do get arrested it never goes on my actual record because I'm illegal!

I also go to the ER for all my medical care. They can NOT refuse care to anyone, and I tell them I am an illegal and don't pay shit.

<GinJuice>

You'll get deported now.

With the memory available today, it seems they could download the stolen and restricted vehicle information to each unit to avoid bandwidth problems. They could probably put the entire state motor vehicle database on a single hard drive. 2 TB solid state external hard drives are available for less than $800.
It has to be connected so dispatch gets the hit. Also you would have to have it downloading the data daily so its up to date. I also believe it has to be a live connection for you to make enforcement on it. At least that is my understanding.

It has to be connected so dispatch gets the hit. Also you would have to have it downloading the data daily so its up to date. I also believe it has to be a live connection for you to make enforcement on it. At least that is my understanding.

They could switch external hard drives at each shift to stay up to date. The computer could send the information to dispatch but the officer wouldn't have to wait for a return. It would save bandwidth and help in areas with poor coverage.

2 chases. The guy tries to run from the dog after the chase. Never a good idea.

How the guy in the ranger made it that far without wrecking is beyond me, hope the victim in the first wreck is ok bc that was pretty bad

They could switch external hard drives at each shift to stay up to date. The computer could send the information to dispatch but the officer wouldn't have to wait for a return. It would save bandwidth and help in areas with poor coverage.

Cars are in rotation 24/7 and larger departments have fleets of hundreds of cars running any given day. Trying to keep track of that many external hard drives going in/out of that many cars that will be in/out at different hours every day would be a major pain in the ass.

As opposed to installing some software on the already in place computer structure in the unit it just isn't feasible.

Cars are in rotation 24/7 and larger departments have fleets of hundreds of cars running any given day. Trying to keep track of that many external hard drives going in/out of that many cars that will be in/out at different hours every day would be a major pain in the ass.

As opposed to installing some software on the already in place computer structure in the unit it just isn't feasible.

They have to keep track of which officer is in which car. Each officer has a hard drive and the officer just plugs in an updated drive at the start of a shift, removes it at the end and plugs it into the main computer system to be updated.

They have to keep track of which officer is in which car. Each officer has a hard drive and the officer just plugs in an updated drive at the start of a shift, removes it at the end and plugs it into the main computer system to be updated.

Still, you're asking for a whole bunch of extra equipment and work as opposed to installing software on a computer and being done.

Still, you're asking for a whole bunch of extra equipment and work as opposed to installing software on a computer and being done.

It would be one USB connection, not a whole lot of extra equipment. The drives can be set up as read only on the vehicle computer.

It would be one USB connection, not a whole lot of extra equipment. The drives can be set up as read only on the vehicle computer.

Again, hundreds to thousands of external harddrives for hundreds to thousands of officers along with stations to upload them all to a computer at departments vs. uploading software one time

Again, hundreds to thousands of external harddrives for hundreds to thousands of officers along with stations to upload them all to a computer at departments vs. uploading software one time

They have to contact the DMV via uplink to check license and registration that those hundreds of thousands of officers are all trying to get at the same time causing a delay that could cost an officer his life. Less populated areas probably don't have the problems as they maybe have 25 cars on duty at any one time. High population areas is where the most problems will be.

Where I worked they got the bright idea to go to VOIP to save money on phones then couldn't figure out why their computer system got so slow when they basically doubled the traffic.

They have to contact the DMV via uplink to check license and registration that those hundreds of thousands of officers are all trying to get at the same time causing a delay that could cost an officer his life. Less populated areas probably don't have the problems as they maybe have 25 cars on duty at any one time. High population areas is where the most problems will be.

Where I worked they got the bright idea to go to VOIP to save money on phones then couldn't figure out why their computer system got so slow when they basically doubled the traffic.

There's no delay to worry about as if the plate is coming back hot on the alpr the officer will already be on alert, not like he's gonna stroll up by himself to talk to the driver, or even initiate the stop at all, while waiting for the hit to be confirmed. I've had a few hits and every time I've just gotten on the radio and asked dispatch to confirm the status before even trying to stop it.

Software that's connected to real time data is just cheaper and easier. Doesn't make sense to complicate things with more equipment.

And we tend to break shit. A lot. Adding external harddrives to the list of things that need to be replaced from the depts budget will just cost more money.

I've never noticed slowdown from my mdc due to an alpr running. At least not to the point I'd consider it a problem that needs addressed.

You do get some fun misreads though. I've seen it snag pics of people cause they are wearing a jersey and it captures the numbers on it, road signs like protectandserve said. It's pretty great but not quite to the level of recognizing vehicle makes/models.

Back