Local "Rapper" kills Deputy Sheriff in Rancho Cordova (Greater Sacramento Area)

When our giant tech companies can all shut down official state (syria) channels (and our MSM refuses to report anything from them) I could be wrong but, I believe we have a problem.
It's less related to the direct topics (judicial system, 2A, the balance of power between police and the regions where they enforce the law), but it is extremely relevant to the larger topic at hand: human freedom.
I think that's way too distantly related, to the Lounge with ye!

Perhaps we can let out some of these non violent drug offenders, so we have more space for actual violent ones (or sex offenders, whatever...).....

Yes, but I'm talking about federal sentences, because that is what you linked to. Federal courts use the same sentencing rules no matter what state they are in.
That's fine, but 2-8 years ain't cutting it.
Also, the feds use their own definition to determine whether someone is a felon. They don't rely on the state definition because, as you noted, those vary quite a bit from state to state.
We can't stop there. Citizens with histories like this guy wouldn't qualify for either.

A 38 year old “aspiring” rapper who lived with his mom in a a quiet suburban neighborhood.
<36>

Because he does a job that requires heroism on a daily basis how about that for starters.
So does she (still)

1536511253-Amber-Guyger.PNG

That's fine, but 2-8 years ain't cutting it.

We can't stop there. Citizens with histories like guy wouldn't qualify for either.

In the county I work, I've heard that guys with actual bodies under their hat often get out in 7.

Last edited:
yeah it's.. It's something that's happening out there. A lot.

To add to my point about XXXtenacion's murder. At the time of his death, he was facing 15 felony charges himself.

Why even have laws if there is no punishment?

To add to my point about XXXtenacion's murder. At the time of his death, he was facing 15 felony charges himself.

Why even have laws if there is no punishment?
isn't that technically a question of Bail then?
if he was facing, but not tried on those counts?

Unless, of course, you're arguing that people facing multiple violent felonies shouldn't be allowed to post bail or RoR.......which if my law and order knowledge is up to speed that is generally reserved for 'flight risks' or like the Unabomber, right?

putting the police on a pedestal is an integral part of the monopoly men's society they protect their wealth and enforce their societal rules.

Kind of surprised to see you post this, but it's fundamentally true.

Save your strawmen for the farm.

I can't speak to @tonni's point, but in 2018 there will likely be considerably more schoolchildren killed by school shootings than officers shot and killed in the line of duty.
Through the first five months of 2018, 40 children were killed in school shootings. Meanwhile, only 44 officers were shot and killed in the line of duty in all of 2017.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...illed-2017-hits-nearly-50-year-low/984477001/

Given the role of police officers, the overall violent crime rate of the United States, and the rate of police killings of citizens (987 in 2017, or more than 20 times the amount of police killed by citizens), what you're describing is hardly an epidemic. Although, you could be describing a larger violent crime epidemic, and not necessarily an offensive against police.

So it's strange (to me) that persons like @Cubo de Sangre seem more comfortable with actively intruding on civil rights without due process on the basis of killed officers than with restricted production and sale of certain types of firearms on the basis of (a greater number of) killed schoolchildren. But we all have our own preferences, I suppose.

Any society that treats criticism of the police(public servants) as treason is well on the way to authoritarian police state. It is very ironic that the people who scream about hating govt. and freedom blindly defend the police no matter what crime they commit.

isn't that technically a question of Bail then?
if he was facing, but not tried on those counts?

Unless, of course, you're arguing that people facing multiple violent felonies shouldn't be allowed to post bail or RoR.......which if my law and order knowledge is up to speed that is generally reserved for 'flight risks' or like the Unabomber, right?

Yeah, it would be a question of bail. Maybe more states should change their bail laws like California? California is moving away from using money for bail and grading the severity of the crime and risk of the offender. So violent people would be denied, and low risk people would be eligible for bail.

"California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a landmark criminal justice bill into law on Tuesday, making the state the first to abolish cash bail and transitioning toward a system that gives judges discretion to decide who can go home and who must stay in jail pending trial.

Rather than having to buy their release through a bail bondsman or with cash, people will now be released on their own recognizance or under supervision conditions, unless a judge decides they pose a public safety threat and should stay detained.

“A person’s checking account balance should never determine how they are treated under the law,” California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said in a statement. “Cash bail criminalizes poverty, and with Gov. Brown’s signature today, California has opened the door to pursue and perfect a just pretrial system.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-creates-new-problems/?utm_term=.b63f48cdfc08

So it's strange (to me) that persons like @Cubo de Sangre seem more comfortable with actively intruding on civil rights without due process on the basis of killed officers than with restricted production and sale of certain types of firearms on the basis of (a greater number of) killed schoolchildren.

At least in my case the strangeness can be explained by recognizing that's your imagination at work. Me pointing out liberals turning a blind eye to surveillance when they think it promotes their own safety doesn't amount to what you're claiming. I was merely addressing your stated objection with historical fact. There's no more staunch advocate of civil rights around here than I.

Yeah, it would be a question of bail. Maybe more states should change their bail laws like California? California is moving away from using money for bail and grading the severity of the crime and risk of the offender. So violent people would be denied, and low risk people would be eligible for bail.

"California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a landmark criminal justice bill into law on Tuesday, making the state the first to abolish cash bail and transitioning toward a system that gives judges discretion to decide who can go home and who must stay in jail pending trial.

Rather than having to buy their release through a bail bondsman or with cash, people will now be released on their own recognizance or under supervision conditions, unless a judge decides they pose a public safety threat and should stay detained.

“A person’s checking account balance should never determine how they are treated under the law,” California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said in a statement. “Cash bail criminalizes poverty, and with Gov. Brown’s signature today, California has opened the door to pursue and perfect a just pretrial system.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-creates-new-problems/?utm_term=.b63f48cdfc08

Putting those bondsmen out of work, eh?

Macs-Bail-Bonds.jpg

At least in my case the strangeness can be explained by recognizing that's your imagination at work. Me pointing out liberals turning a blind eye to surveillance when they think it promotes their own safety doesn't amount to what you're claiming. I was merely addressing your stated objection with historical fact. There's no more staunch advocate of civil rights around here than I.

I didn't object to an historical fact. I objected to Madmick's plea about what liberals should do, either as normative advice or as application of their political views. I don't think his point was to say "because the liberal party voted for one horrid policy, they should for the sake of consistency vote for my horrid policy as well."

As far as the PATRIOT Act goes, in regular times I would expect a pretty clear divide between the Republicans and Democrats on such a vote (I could be wrong, but this would be my prediction). But this was after 9/11, and if another 9/11-type event occurs, I suspect we will once again see near-universal support from the citizenry as well as both parties on issues of mass surveillance.

Back