Local "Rapper" kills Deputy Sheriff in Rancho Cordova (Greater Sacramento Area)

Putting those bondsmen out of work, eh?

Macs-Bail-Bonds.jpg

Cash bail is unfair to the poor. Oh, you are poor and innocent? Enjoy jail until your fucking trial.

Republicans wrote the patriot act and called anyone who opposed it Terrorists, now the delusional are trying to blame the Democrats for it? Does not get anymore delusional than this.

Didn't Obama renew the powers though? At that point It's on both parties.

Fair enough, one of my biggest disappointments of his Presidency. Still the writers of the bill deserve more of the blame.

Yeah, it would be a question of bail. Maybe more states should change their bail laws like California? California is moving away from using money for bail and grading the severity of the crime and risk of the offender. So violent people would be denied, and low risk people would be eligible for bail.

"California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a landmark criminal justice bill into law on Tuesday, making the state the first to abolish cash bail and transitioning toward a system that gives judges discretion to decide who can go home and who must stay in jail pending trial.

Rather than having to buy their release through a bail bondsman or with cash, people will now be released on their own recognizance or under supervision conditions, unless a judge decides they pose a public safety threat and should stay detained.

“A person’s checking account balance should never determine how they are treated under the law,” California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said in a statement. “Cash bail criminalizes poverty, and with Gov. Brown’s signature today, California has opened the door to pursue and perfect a just pretrial system.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-creates-new-problems/?utm_term=.b63f48cdfc08
not gonna lie I didn't know about this

at first glance, i'm totally down w/ it

That's fine, but 2-8 years ain't cutting it.

We can't stop there. Citizens with histories like guy wouldn't qualify for either.

The problem is that everything about incarceration is a juggling act.

This is the direct result of the war on drugs - something you often appear to be very enthusiastic about. We gotta make room for the habitual offender heroin addict who has a mile long rap sheet for nodding off in the park, right?

Gotta keep those prisons full so the corporations can make their tidy profit.

That's the job he signed up for.
Some jobs have inherent heroism. Law enforcement, fire fighting, paramedics, etc. to say “that’s not a hero, that’s their job” is idiotic. He could have easily disengaged from the subject and saved his own life.

Synonyms for “heroic” include fearless, courageous and brave. Nowhere does it specify that your occupation strips you of those qualities.

Shut up, pathetic badge bunny. What's the matter no strong father figure growing up so you worship men in uniform?

Yeah, someone who has gotten so out of control with family members the cops had to get called in, and was convicted of a violent felony as a result, who is subsequently found illegally in possession of a firearm, clearly isn't someone to be concerned about.

If we want less gun violence then we have to act like it.

Violent criminal, especially those who prey on the innocent, deserve to be removed from society. If the crime involves killing an innocent person they should be executed post haste.

Yet whenever people talk about regulating the secondary market for guns or straw purcharse the NRA and the right talk about "Gun grabbin'".

Owning a gun is a right, being able to sell guns isnt.

Yep. Then Obama robo-signed the renewal and the left promptly stfu about it. Snowden's whistle-blowing couldn't even get them worked back up. I wonder what % of Democratic primary winners have an anti-Patriot Act plank in their platform for this election cycle. My guess would be not many.
As someone who is very left on the spectrum, I agree. A lot of liberals even decry Snowden and don't even discuss the treatment of Chelsea Manning among other things. But apparently all that is okay when a president has a D after their name.

I can't speak to @tonni's point, but in 2018 there will likely be considerably more schoolchildren killed by school shootings than officers shot and killed in the line of duty.
Through the first five months of 2018, 40 children were killed in school shootings. Meanwhile, only 44 officers were shot and killed in the line of duty in all of 2017.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...illed-2017-hits-nearly-50-year-low/984477001/

Given the role of police officers, the overall violent crime rate of the United States, and the rate of police killings of citizens (987 in 2017, or more than 20 times the amount of police killed by citizens), what you're describing is hardly an epidemic. Although, you could be describing a larger violent crime epidemic, and not necessarily an offensive against police.

So it's strange (to me) that persons like @Cubo de Sangre seem more comfortable with actively intruding on civil rights without due process on the basis of killed officers than with restricted production and sale of certain types of firearms on the basis of (a greater number of) killed schoolchildren. But we all have our own preferences, I suppose.
I love how you cherry pick different years when you compare data. Confirmation bias locomotive.

That wasn't the strawman. The two of you might read the OP a bit more carefully.

Welcome to being a libertarian. It's actually a pretty cool club.
I like libertarians, but only as a personal political philosophy. As a club, it sucks balls. It's a congregation of impotency supporting a bunch of people who lose elections, and don't have any power.

But I will go further. In this instance even the philosophy falls short: PEOPLE ARE DYING. Cops, schoolchildren, unarmed men, everyday Americans that don't fit any special victim rubric.

What do you think the point of government is-- if not to protect the life of its citizens? At its absolute minimum the state must be the mediating authority which resolves issues of justice, and acts to bolster conditions that give rise to the greatest levels of it. As much as I loathe proposed liberal solutions at least they understand something more drastic must be done to address our gun violence issue. Half measures and ideological purity are a space for cowards.

It doesn't address the problem, it doesn't solve anything. Protest the cost, but don't fool yourself into believing that inaction is enlightened.

i wont comment because this literally happened in the area i grew up in and i cannot give an unbiased opinion about the guy i would kill with my own 2 hands if he was right in front of me right now.

Back