The perspective of Ngannou looking amazing, explanations wanted.

Actually it was the most impressive upset in combat history (except on paper, because they needed to preserve the Usyk fight), and it's really not even close.

He did win brother and goes above Jones for me. Not mma, but as a combat sports star

He went over to another sport and beat the consensus number 1 and nobody really gave gim a prayer

Jones would need to outgrapple Ryan or beat Usyk to match this achievement. Of course he is ahead in mma, but Francis done something remarkable
Yeah respect to Francis to that
Francis can be king of combat sports
But as you said, Jones is GOAT of MMA, and his contributions to humanity will never be matched

Whats going to happen with Duckson Fury now though? Surely he will never have the balls to face Usyk after that performance
I think this is one of the worst humiliations in boxing history, way worse than Joshua losing to fat Ruiz. At least Andy Ruiz was a legitimate professional boxer. Francis trained boxing for many years but had 0 professional fights, 0 amateur fights that I know of, and arguably beat Fury and knocked him down.

How will Fury bounce back from this? I know its fun to tease Fury and all, but I seriously hope he doesn't fall into depression and substance abuse again to cope with this loss

Yeah respect to Francis to that
Francis can be king of combat sports
But as you said, Jones is GOAT of MMA, and his contributions to humanity will never be matched

Whats going to happen with Duckson Fury now though? Surely he will never have the balls to face Usyk after that performance
I think this is one of the worst humiliations in boxing history, way worse than Joshua losing to fat Ruiz. At least Andy Ruiz was a legitimate professional boxer. Francis trained boxing for many years but had 0 professional fights, 0 amateur fights that I know of, and arguably beat Fury and knocked him down.

How will Fury bounce back from this? I know its fun to tease Fury and all, but I seriously hope he doesn't fall into depression and substance abuse again to cope with this loss

Ironically I think this is even more reason to fight Usyk. Let's face it. He lost to a guy making his boxing debut. He knows deep down he lost and the fight being close at all counts as a loss

The only way to redeem himself is to fight and beat Usyk. It's either that or retirement. Usyk is light years ahead of Francis, but it's a funny game. The things that didn't work on Frank may work with Usyk, like the clinching etc.

Fury really has nothing to lose. The 0 means little, when many think he lost including fellow boxers

I think he fights usyk, loses on points and retires
I also think Aj picks on Francis anday get sparked,though it's likely he does the job Fury couldn't and stops Francis late, as Joshua can certainly hurt him and will come in shape

Fury is a disgrace and humiliated boxing last night. I'm mad about that, but happy that the better and more humble man really won

It's hilarious that Fury lost to a novice lol

I think people are largely just getting caught up in the melodrama of it. I agree with your assessment 100%.
This

MMA finally didn't look like absolute shit against a name boxer, so we're covered with hyperbole, excitement, dramatics.

Francis looked better than I expected now that I've seen it, but some of the things being said are legit nuts right now. The swingers are out in force

Ironically I think this is even more reason to fight Usyk. Let's face it. He lost to a guy making his boxing debut. He knows deep down he lost and the fight being close at all counts as a loss

The only way to redeem himself is to fight and beat Usyk. It's either that or retirement. Usyk is light years ahead of Francis, but it's a funny game. The things that didn't work on Frank may work with Usyk, like the clinching etc.

Fury really has nothing to lose. The 0 means little, when many think he lost including fellow boxers

I think he fights usyk, loses on points and retires
I also think Aj picks on Francis anday get sparked,though it's likely he does the job Fury couldn't and stops Francis late, as Joshua can certainly hurt him and will come in shape

Fury is a disgrace and humiliated boxing last night. I'm mad about that, but happy that the better and more humble man really won

It's hilarious that Fury lost to a novice lol
It was very hilarious and disgraceful. I spent the whole day reading comments of people roasting Fury, on YouTube, multiple boxing forums, this forum, Twitter and Instagram lol.
I was happy Fury lost, but at the same time disappointed that he brought shame to the sport of boxing.

I agree, after that fight, not many will really consider him undefeated anymore. It was the worst kind of defeat, and its hard to top it. Losing to Usyk would not sting as much or be as embarrassing, and whatever the result is in that fight, at least it would bring attention away from the fact a novice humiliated him

Francis has big muscles and looks tough. That was it lol

It was very hilarious and disgraceful. I spent the whole day reading comments of people roasting Fury, on YouTube, multiple boxing forums, this forum, Twitter and Instagram lol.
I was happy Fury lost, but at the same time disappointed that he brought shame to the sport of boxing.

I agree, after that fight, not many will really consider him undefeated anymore. It was the worst kind of defeat, and its hard to top it. Losing to Usyk would not sting as much or be as embarrassing, and whatever the result is in that fight, at least it would bring attention away from the fact a novice humiliated him

It also shows up conor to an extent
He keeps blabbering on about pushing an older, much smaller Floyd all the way, yet he got carried and his ass kicked by a non puncher

Francis boxing looked good, much better than I expected and way better than these other mma fighters have looked in the ring

He had a good gameplan and didn't look out of his depth in any way
Mim pleased for the man and he is now the second greatest man in existence lol

I saw a vid breakdown some months back, they did an entire thing on how Francis has this natural ability that most fighters don't possess, where he can set his feet and hips and roll his spine in a particular way that allows him to avoid shots and stay in position to throw counters with power, or something to that effect. Idk much about fight science, or how true it was, but it was an interesting watch. There were definitely people out there who expected Francis to do well.

Do you remember anything about the video (title, creator, etc.) that might help me find it? That sounds interesting.

A week ago almost everyone said that the match would be a farce and would end up as a thorough humiliation of Ngannou. Anything other than a one way beatdown from Fury would be a huge surprise. Ngannou did not even have a puncher’s chance. Now come the same keyboard warriors with excuses, explanations, hyperbole, even condpiracy theories. Meh.
I was always a fan of Francis, but I gave him no chance even against a no-training, drunk Fury. What he did is a once in a lifetime thing.

What are we even talking about here?

Ngannou fought 10 rounds against this generation's best HW boxer and he not just managed to hang in there, but bring the fight to Fury, knocking him down and also, in my opinion, winning the fight.

This would be the highlight of the career for any boxer, but for someone making his boxing debut this is an absolute incredible achievement. No matter how you want to nitpick how his boxing "looked" or how bad a day Fury had.

Yeah. Close fight.

What the fuck?

Why would fury embarrassing his entire career

Because having a split decision where he was 'dropped' by Ngannou makes Ngannou look good (and launches his pro boxing career). Leads to the Usyk fight where Fury actually trains and fights properly. If he retains, he goes for Joshua fight before retiring. If he loses, Ngannou Fury 2.

Both made a boatload of money and also makes people think Usyk has more of a chance. It's all about money and betting. Nothing else.

It seems that many fans, some media etc are all extremely impressed with Francis's performance and stating he beat Fury and was robbed, looked great, is the better boxer etc. I watched the entire fight and I will admit that I was impressed with his ability to hang with Fury on Tyson's worst day in a long long time, but I failed to see what so many bandwagon jumpers seem to have seen.

What I witnessed was extremely basic boxing technique, slow plodding movement and very little action overall from both fighters. Yet everyone is boasting about how great he looked, I mean he landed one good glancing shot behind the ear that seemed to cause Fury to back off and change his game plan but aside from that he didn't do much of anything and never looked very good at any point in me eyes. To me it was more Fury's lack of getting anything going that made Francis look far better than he actually is. Now that does give Francis some due credit as his chin and power definitely had a role to play in Fury's output but at the same time...anyone who thinks that was Fury at his best has obviously never watched him fight before.

The fight as a whole sucked, there was close to no action...the total output from both fighters was close to abysmal and neither looked like a top boxing HW, yet everyone wants to go on about how great Francis is...and I just don't see it. So from a technical standpoint what exactly did Francis do that made him obtain the great statement or even the looked really good?

IMHO Fury was over promoting this for $$ and 100% overlooked Francis, so shame on him for this and he deserves it.

You're comparing Francis to some absolute standard of boxing ability which might not be the right way to look at it. How did he look compared to Tyson fury? They were about even with Francis having an edge on power and clinchwork. I would go as far as to say Francis was excellent in the clinch and that might have been the key skill that let Francis compete with fury.
The best argument is Tyson was taken by surprise but it's strange to me that a hw who has been boxing for how many years needs specific training and gameplanning for a novice in ngannou.
If nothing else, Francis proved he's an athletic anomaly and maybe that's good enough for hws.

I think heavyweights are kind of shit in general, every other Heavyweight on the card besides Fury looked worse than Ngannou imo. Ngannou is legit from what I've seen.

...from a technical standpoint..because I failed to see that.

Is Francis a natural righty or lefty? Does he prefer the orthodox or Southpaw stance? Which stance did he utilize more in this fight?

ftr, it was the unskilled MMA brawler who spent more time and had more success switch stance than the HW Champ.

It was Fury who was awkwardly crashing forward trying to force dirty clinch work. It was Fury who was on the canvas because of his own clumsiness.

You're comparing Francis to some absolute standard of boxing ability which might not be the right way to look at it. How did he look compared to Tyson fury? They were about even with Francis having an edge on power and clinchwork. I would go as far as to say Francis was excellent in the clinch and that might have been the key skill that let Francis compete with fury.
The best argument is Tyson was taken by surprise but it's strange to me that a hw who has been boxing for how many years needs specific training and gameplanning for a novice in ngannou.
If nothing else, Francis proved he's an athletic anomaly and maybe that's good enough for hws.
He was physically strong in the clinch, not so much in the offence department most of his shots in that area missed. But I do agree that he was strong physically and that likely did have a role to play in how the fight went as that is an area where Fury usually is dominant.

Back