Time to start carrying a gun

Obviously the turnstiles thing isn't the only thing. It is just a small example in a countless number of things. And you obviously know that. See, once again, it's the lack of sophistication and intelligence that cause the shitty conversations that is perhaps the most telling thing about the lack of civility.

If you say so, make America civil again, pal.

I just faced a scary situation & learned a lesson. Don’t ever get caught without a gun.

So me, my girlfriend & my daughter are in a hotel. At 2am we heard pounding on our door. I look though the peep hole & can see two guys in black hoodies with bandanas on their faces standing off to the side of the door. They think they’re hidden from view but I can clearly see them. I think they were hoping we would open the door looking to see who it was & then they would barge in. They were there for about 5 minutes. After awhile one of them put their ear up to the door to listen in & then the other covered up the peep hole. Finally they left.

During all of this my girlfriend went into the bathroom & called 911. About 20-30 minutes later two cops finally showed up. Had the guys forced their way into our room, they could’ve done whatever they intended & been long gone by the time the cops came. I felt completely helpless knowing I was up against two guys who I’m sure had guns. That’s not a good feeling when you’re in charge of protecting your girlfriend & daughter. It’s one thing when it’s just you, it’s completely different when your girlfriend & 10 month baby are in the room.

I’m no where near the anti gun type nor was I the type who felt the need to carry a gun for protection. That was until I faced this situation & realized carrying a gun is absolutely necessary. It only takes one time like this to learn that lesson.

We don't really get along on here but glad you guys are ok.

Always wear sunglasses it makes you look like a total badaas and no one will fuck with you

I just faced a scary situation & learned a lesson. Don’t ever get caught without a gun.

So me, my girlfriend & my daughter are in a hotel. At 2am we heard pounding on our door. I look though the peep hole & can see two guys in black hoodies with bandanas on their faces standing off to the side of the door. They think they’re hidden from view but I can clearly see them. I think they were hoping we would open the door looking to see who it was & then they would barge in. They were there for about 5 minutes. After awhile one of them put their ear up to the door to listen in & then the other covered up the peep hole. Finally they left.

During all of this my girlfriend went into the bathroom & called 911. About 20-30 minutes later two cops finally showed up. Had the guys forced their way into our room, they could’ve done whatever they intended & been long gone by the time the cops came. I felt completely helpless knowing I was up against two guys who I’m sure had guns. That’s not a good feeling when you’re in charge of protecting your girlfriend & daughter. It’s one thing when it’s just you, it’s completely different when your girlfriend & 10 month baby are in the room.

I’m no where near the anti gun type nor was I the type who felt the need to carry a gun for protection. That was until I faced this situation & realized carrying a gun is absolutely necessary. It only takes one time like this to learn that lesson.

I had a situation like that once in San Antonio. Long Story Short I got talked into staying at a complete shit motel on Broadway, (think Deathwish) It was an old outdoor type.

The phone was painted into the wall. Floor was more comfortable than the bed.

At about 12:30 someone starts rifling the doorknob trying to get in. I had a 45 with me.
I went to the side of the door and racked the slide on it making an audible cocking noise, kinda like so:

Instantly you could hear the fucking hand turn loose of that door knob.

This room was in the middle so there was a good 45 yards on either side before you could turn a corner to get out of sight.

I opened the door, check bother directions but the scumbag(s) vanished.

That's my memorable stay in San Antonio Story!

I had a situation like that once in San Antonio. Long Story Short I got talked into staying at a complete shit motel on Broadway, (think Deathwish) It was an old outdoor type.

The phone was painted into the wall. Floor was more comfortable than the bed.

At about 12:30 someone starts rifling the doorknob trying to get in. I had a 45 with me.
I went to the side of the door and racked the slide on it making an audible cocking noise, kinda like so:

Instantly you could hear the fucking hand turn loose of that door knob.

This room was in the middle so there was a good 45 yards on either side before you could turn a corner to get out of sight.

I opened the door, check bother directions but the scumbag(s) vanished.

That's my memorable stay in San Antonio Story!

Must have been post-Katrina. :eek::D

Uhhh, it’s difficult enough to get a CCW permit in the U.S., what makes you think you can travel with it!?
I never said that. My point is that you can be in the most idyllic of places and trouble will find you.

Last edited:
I am not a gun lover and I dont build my life around them but that is my solution too. Two dogs and a 20 gauge pump shotgun is what we have for out camping alone and for home defense.

We keep the shotgun next to the bed in a gun safe but it is set to open of you just dial it to the last remaining number so its a quick open. We figure the dogs would give us ample warning and time to get the shotgun.

We also have a small pistol that we keep in a quick open pistol safe for hotel stays. That and bear spray which I am convinced might be more effective than a gun in many cases.
That's a bird gun, get a 12 guage with 00 shells.

@franklinstower My not so humble advice is for you to get a rifle. Easier to shoot and hand over to the misses if needed. Faster follow up shots when required, and less penetration (if you're using 5.56 ball), but better terminal ballistics in tissue.
You also need to consider neighbors. Sometimes you don't want too much penetration. Shotguns are probably ideal home defense weapons.

You also need to consider neighbors. Sometimes you don't want too much penetration. Shotguns are probably ideal home defense weapons.

5.56 ball (55gr) rounds out a 16 inch barrel have less penetration than a 9mm. The ideal is a rifle full stop. The spread from a shotgun inside your house isn't going to be much more than a light switch area, so you still need to aim. Both have the terminal ballistics to end fights instantly, and these situations are all about shot placements. Rifles are more accurate, easier to get a TA, and have faster follow up. No comparison. You have a shotgun for breaching or hunting. Self defense is a third utility.

@franklinstower

Last edited:
Gee, TS, it seems like you are overlooking the extremely powerful tool of a locking device on your door. It saved your bacon this time.

What situation are you envisioning that a gun would have protected you better? Like, you think the two bad guys were going to bust out their trusty battering ram?

May I proffer a further tip: don’t stay in shitty ass, ghetto hotels. I’m pretty sure this doesn’t happen at the Mariot.

5.56 ball rounds out a 16 inch barrel have less penetration than a 9mm. The ideal is a rifle full stop. The spread from a shotgun inside your house isn't going to be much more than a light switch area, so you still need to aim. Both have the terminal ballistics to end fights instantly, and these situations are all about shot placements. Rifles are more accurate, easier to get a TA, and have faster follow up. No comparison. You have a shotgun for breaching or hunting. Self defense is a third utility.
Great. Good to know that the guy who makes “joking” death threats to liberals is a legit gun freak. That’s just super.

5.56 ball (55gr) rounds out a 16 inch barrel have less penetration than a 9mm. The ideal is a rifle full stop. The spread from a shotgun inside your house isn't going to be much more than a light switch area, so you still need to aim. Both have the terminal ballistics to end fights instantly, and these situations are all about shot placements. Rifles are more accurate, easier to get a TA, and have faster follow up. No comparison. You have a shotgun for breaching or hunting. Self defense is a third utility.

@franklinstower
If you have neighbors nearby they will appreciate buckshot.

The firearm would’ve come in handy if the two guys actually breached the door. Why do you suppose he would’ve only shot at ONE of them?

...because the second one would have most likely killed him (TS). It all depends on timing and the circumstances, but given that all 3 fire at once and hit the target, one of the robbers would be alive. Can you punch 2 guys at the same time when they are both punching at you?

...because the second one would have most likely killed him (TS). It all depends on timing and the circumstances, but given that all 3 fire at once and hit the target, one of the robbers would be alive. Can you punch 2 guys at the same time when they are both punching at you?
I don't think you have any training with weapons at all. Am I wrong?

@Phr3121 Unless the TS was against a professional entry team, he had the decisive advantage with a firerarm, as the chooser of where the engagement was going to take place. It places him significantly ahead of their OODA loop and in the better position (far corner or behind the bed)…. and that's even assuming he had motivated attackers and number two wouldn't tuck tail on contact.

Back