ACLU/Maine Democrats oppose bill to criminalize female genital mutilation in Maine

Its unnecessary cosmetic surgery that (wait for it), mutilates the penis' foreskin.

Unless you're a Jew, there isn't any reason to put your child through such a ghastly endeavor.
Allegedly it is good for hygiene.

All I can say is that I am glad my parents made the decision to cut for a number of reasons. It hasn't in any way robbed me of sexual fulfillment in the way that FGM is often designed to do.

Weird that anyone would oppose such a bill.

@panamaican , in regards to your earlier question about political grandstanding and 'why now?', has there been any spike in conservative Muslim population in Maine recently? Have there been any reported cases of FGM there in recent years? At work so I can't look into it much.

They're both medically unnecessary procedures which cause harm ( if only short term pain in boys) and are based on cultural/religious norms.

Yes, FGM is worse, but both are unjustiable imo.
When my son was born and this came up I couldn't justify inflicting pain on him for no good reason.

We need to make this clear that is unacceptable, outlaw all cutting of genitals on kids , male or female .

Allegedly it is good for hygiene.

All I can say is that I am glad my parents made the decision to cut for a number of reasons. It hasn't in any way robbed me of sexual fulfillment in the way that FGM is often designed to do.

Weird that anyone would oppose such a bill.

@panamaican , in regards to your earlier question about political grandstanding and 'why now?', has there been any spike in conservative Muslim population in Maine recently? Have there been any reported cases of FGM there in recent years? At work so I can't look into it much.

It appears to be an increase in the Muslim population but I didn't see any reports of recent FGM. I haven't looked broadly though.

The links in the OP also don't indicate if this is a Maine thing, they state that the instances that they've seen could have occurred in the countries that the girls came from and there's nothing to suggest they occurred here in the U.S.

So, Maine hospitals might be seeing more of it but it might not be happening in Maine or the surrounding states.

Circumcision is a dumb comparison. They don't cut your entire cock off when you get circumcised.
Comparing it to cutting your dick off is a dumb comparison too .

Are we talking the removal of the clitoris? I think its about the same.

I'm with you on this. The head of the penis stays intact. Aren't we talking about removal of the clitoris? Apples and bowling balls.

I'm with you on this. The head of the penis stays intact. Aren't we talking about removal of the clitoris? Apples and bowling balls.
Yeah, fuck that noise. Its barbaric.

I don't care if some adult wants to pierce her labia or whatever.

Is FGM an Islamic practice exclusively? I've never come across it while reading up on that religion and though it was more of a cultural practice and not part of the doctrine. No matter what, it's ridiculous to compare it to circumcision as the sole reason for it is to remove sexual pleasure, thereby lessen temptation for women to stray. It's a means of control, nothing more, nothing less.

@Kafir-kun You're my go to guy on here regarding anything Islam, so any insight?

It removes the element of choice, so should be illegal.

It appears to be an increase in the Muslim population but I didn't see any reports of recent FGM. I haven't looked broadly though.

The links in the OP also don't indicate if this is a Maine thing, they state that the instances that they've seen could have occurred in the countries that the girls came from and there's nothing to suggest they occurred here in the U.S.

So, Maine hospitals might be seeing more of it but it might not be happening in Maine or the surrounding states.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/health/detroit-genital-mutilation-charges/index.html

What it doesn't give is numbers , in my understanding the most common form of fgm is removing the clitoris and comparing that to cutting off a dick is a stetch.

I'm all for outlawing parents performing unnecessary and irreversible surgeries on their kids
I don't think its a stretch. I mean, sure, she can still have unpleasurable sex, what a great life.

liberal logic:
-female genital mutilation: we have to accomodate and accept other culture practices
-circumcision: it's mutilationa, should be banned and the parents should be killed

When my son was born and this came up I couldn't justify inflicting pain on him for no good reason.

We need to make this clear that is unacceptable, outlaw all cutting of genitals on kids , male or female .

Old habits die hard

Back