ACLU/Maine Democrats oppose bill to criminalize female genital mutilation in Maine

How is female genital mutilation not already illegal? This reminds me of the other day when there is a thread about making animal prostitution illegal or something along those lines in some southern state. How in the hell are these things allowed?

@Jack V Savage

Remember when we discussed immigration from incompatible cultures and the social problems that arise thereafter?

How is female genital mutilation not already illegal? This reminds me of the other day when there is a thread about making animal prostitution illegal or something along those lines in some southern state. How in the hell are these things allowed?
It's illegal at the federal level but Maine doesn't have a state law criminalizing it. This bill would also criminalize interstate trafficking for purposes of FGM.

They checked their victim list and followed the order.

Is FGM an Islamic practice exclusively? I've never come across it while reading up on that religion and though it was more of a cultural practice and not part of the doctrine. No matter what, it's ridiculous to compare it to circumcision as the sole reason for it is to remove sexual pleasure, thereby lessen temptation for women to stray. It's a means of control, nothing more, nothing less.

@Kafir-kun You're my go to guy on here regarding anything Islam, so any insight?

It removes the element of choice, so should be illegal.
From what I've read it seems you're right but the line is not always clear. Usually when Islam would spread to a given area certain local practices would be absorbed and given a retroactive Islamic justification and that probably applies to some extent to FGM. But in areas where Muslims practice FGM(e.g. Sub-Saharan Africa) its often not common to see non-Muslims doing so as well. That said FGM is also common in some fairly homogeneous Muslim countries like Yemen, Egypt, and Iraq.

There is one kind of FGM that really isn't that bad and is almost ceremonial for the most part and involves only a tiny prick. Sounds less invasive than male genital mutilation really. But unfortunately that's not the most common form and definitely not in Somalia where a large immigrant community in Maine is from. Over there its generally a little more invasive to say the least.

Back