How many here actually know how to drive?

That is incredibly inefficient. Both lanes must be utilized. And the two second rule must be observed.

No. Just no.

If someone is in the left lane driving the exact same speed as someone in the right, blocking the road, that person should get the hell out of the way.

On my drive to work every morning I have this problem. I get off the highway, and someone who is going to turn left in three miles will never get out of the left lane. I invariably have to pass on the right, often having to move two lanes over to do it.

The left lane is the passing lane. If you're a slow driver, get the hell out.

Or since I drive a fast car, I'll challenge them when they try to fuck with me. I guess putting people in their place accomplishes nothing but I guess it amuses me and helps pass the time on the road.

A friend of mine just got a twelve hundred dollar ticket for "racing".

I don't follow most of those rules to the letter, but I'm a pretty good driver.

I've been driving 35 years. I've never had an accident, and haven't had a real moving violation in 20 years.

I got a ticket for driving in the bus lane ten years ago, but I literally couldn't have avoided it. I turned into the right lane, as required by law, and couldn't change into the middle lane because traffic was too thick. They actually had a guy stationed one block from the turn to give out tickets, I couldn't believe it. I told him what I had done and asked him what I should have done, and he told me to ask the judge. He wasn't even a cop, he was just some guy they hired to give out tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone is in the left lane driving the exact same speed as someone in the right, blocking the road, that person should get the hell out of the way.

Why would they be going the same speed? That rarely happens. There is a reason they have multiple lanes on roads. And it is not just so that it’s more convenient for people who want to turn. Virtually the entire world agrees with me. And what’s more is that it is a fact that if you have two lanes that reach the same destination, and cars are only driving in one lane, then it will take those cars longer to get to that destination. How do you not understand this?

I hate driving, mainly because of the population density here and me being a cautious driver, if I lived out in the boonies I'd likely enjoy it.

Why would they be going the same speed? That rarely happens. There is a reason they have multiple lanes on roads. And it is not just so that it’s more convenient for people who want to turn. Virtually the entire world agrees with me. And what’s more is that it is a fact that if you have two lanes that reach the same destination, and cars are only driving in one lane, then it will take those cars longer to get to that destination. How do you not understand this?

It's adorable that you think I don't understand.

The left lane is for passing. If there's room for me to pass around you on the right, you fucked up.

The left lane is for passing. If there's room for me to pass around you on the right, you fucked up.

Damn, you must be the shittiest driver ever. Not only do you think everyone should drive in the right lane unless they are passing, but you think everyone should be tailgating the person in front of them. People like you are why traffic is so bad. It wouldn’t be so bad if you idiots weren’t crashing into everyone all the time.

Yeah, and the reason why there's multiple lanes is for traffic flow. So people can pass. It doesn't work if someone is riding in the left lane.

I find it odd that there are passing lanes when the speed limit is 40mph, but people do overtake at 45mph. You have to break the law to overtake.

Unless you have a slow driver in front of you, but why go 35mph in a 40mph road?

I can drive better than the majority while simultaneously eating a burrito, driving stick shift, and texting on a cell phone.

Not that I actually do any of that, I actually focus on driving when I'm behind the wheel of an automobile. When you're piloting a 2-3 ton wrecking ball, that seems like the appropriate thing to do.

Damn, you must be the shittiest driver ever. Not only do you think everyone should drive in the right lane unless they are passing, but you think everyone should be tailgating the person in front of them. People like you are why traffic is so bad. It wouldn’t be so bad if you idiots weren’t crashing into everyone all the time.

Interstate highways in the US were originally designed with 4 lanes, two in each direction separated by a median. Entrance and exit was to be via the right lane and the left lane was for passing vehicles who were unable to maintain speed, like trucks going up hills. Originally, that worked well but as traffic increased, it became a problem. At diamond intersections, the traffic leaving the interstate exits before the traffic coming onto the highway enters which usually leaves room for traffic to enter.

It is the opposite at cloverleaf intersections so traffic entering and traffic leaving are trying to occupy the same space for a short distance. Still the concept works as long as people drive reasonably and with some courtesy. Of course there are people who feel that laws don't apply to them and those who seem oblivious to other traffic on the road. There are those who feel the need to pass one more vehicle before they exit then try to force their way in to get to the exit.

Adding an extra lane in each direction attempted to help that problem by providing a center lane for travel, the right lane for entering and exiting and the left lane for passing. Still the drivers have the same problems.

As traffic increased, different solutions were tried including entering and exiting from the left lane.

I can drive better than the majority while simultaneously eating a burrito, driving stick shift, and texting on a cell phone.

Not that I actually do any of that, I actually focus on driving when I'm behind the wheel of an automobile. When you're piloting a 2-3 ton wrecking ball, that seems like the appropriate thing to do.

Driving takes concentration and people don't seem to understand that. If a person is concentrating, the average human reaction time is .25 seconds. It's one thing to take a reaction test where you are concentrating on one thing and have a predetermined reaction like the grabbing a dropped ruler vs a situation when you have to determine how to react. Do you brake, steer, accelerate or do nothing?

Not even remotely true.

I have a remarkable 35 year record with no accidents and very few infractions.

I just don’t drive like I’m the only one on the road.

TBF this is very much a Quebec attitude and not an Ontario one.

Could also be a French Canadian attitude since it seems to persist in NB but disappears again in NS lol.

Also your fucking cops ticketed me!

TBF this is very much a Quebec attitude and not an Ontario one.

Could also be a French Canadian attitude since it seems to persist in NB but disappears again in NS lol.

Also your fucking cops ticketed me!

It's illegal to pass on the right. This isn't an attitude, it's the law. If you're in the left lane you should be passing someone, or else move right, unless traffic is dense.

Our cops probably ticketed you for having out of province plates, that's actually prohibited here. You could have avoided the ticket by addressing the cop in French. Not Paris French, though, that just adds another ticket.

Fuck yeah I do, if you're not first, your last.

giphy.gif

@mods can you please trace this guy's IRL and SWAT him? He legit deserves death.

You've never really driven till you have driven in say Afghanistan....

mainly b/c they only had 70km of paved roads as recently as 2002, and drivers licenses literally didn't exist there. People turn left from the right line, drive down the middle splitting lanes, cut into convoys, etc...

It's literally the wildest ish I've ever encountered. Makes Tijuana cab drivers look like experts

Back