Is Dustin Poirier career done ?

You think a prize fighting career is done just 'cause they aren't chasing a title? Weird thread.

Colby is the fight to make.

He's basically done a far as competing for championships. He's climbed that mountain a couple of times already and failed both times. Coming off a loss to Gaethje, he's pretty far from contending again right now, and at his age, it's unlikely that he can get back there again. Too many guys in line ahead of him. He may have a few more fights left in him, but they'll just be fun, money type fights.

He was just in a fantastic fight he lost by a single strike.
There is absolutely no lock that he'd lose in a rematch....
Great fighter, not showing any signs of being shot.
He should follow his heart...if he WANTS to retire... go for it.

The recent interviews i've seen of Dustin, he's all over the place.

Says he still loves fighting but he needs it to be the right matchup, with enough money and the right event and the moon to be in the 3rd sun of capricorn with on the virgo equinox on the midnight of the 33rd day of the year.

In all seriousness - he has one foot out the door but he's in denial about it. As soon as you start saying shit like "I have no interest in fighting up and comers" your competitive edge is gone. Gaethje went out and dealt with Fiziev and showed his hunger is still strong as ever, and looked noticeably better than Poirier in their rematch - and it wasn't just Gaethje out-brawling him, he looked crisper in the boxing and better everywhere., it really did look like one guy who's still hungry for it all vs one guy who's not all the way in it.

For money fight, Poirier-Fiziev is an obvious crowd-pleaser. For contender aspirations, he'd be another fun opponent for Tsarukyan and would clarify his standing in the top 5 if that is where he hopes to stay. He seems like he's a fight away from retirement though. Not sure what he's got planned next.

It doesn't seems like he's looking to chase for the title again.

He also doesn't show signs of wanting to fight an up and coming fighter like Gaethje did with Fiziev

The only activity he had showing an interest in fights was talking about a Conor 4th fight and an hypothetical Nate Diaz fight at UFC 300.

Now it's not bashing because I like Dustin and his career was amazing. But is he maybe just holding off for a couple more big fights with name recognition and planning to call it a day after that ?

If yes there isn't many realistic fights for him out there tbh. Maybe RDA ? Don't see what else if it's his current mindset
He just got head kicked out of title contention and has enough money and fame to no longer take fights that don’t add to either of those. His time as a contender may be done, but there are still a few fights in the UFC that are fun enough to keep him around before he inevitably heads over to BKFC.

He's pretty much in the same position Colby has been in. Neither guy is not going to fight just anybody. They want money or potential title shots

He probably deserves one more payday; maybe a 4th fight with McGoober and then retire comfortably. But other than that, he shouldn't really fight anymore.

Dustin is in no way whatsoever "holding up the division." This ranks amongst the dumbest of statements on this forum, which is saying something.

At least you broadcast how stupid you are with the use of the term "up and cummer" in reference to a fighter, so as not to be ambiguous about the whole thing.
Dustin is overrated and will be exposed as such if he had to fight legit up and commers at LW. That why the UFC wants to keep the justin/micheal/dustin carrousel in full swing. I mean Dustin's best days are behind him and now is the time for others to make their name off beating Dustin. He needs to let it happen instead of keep wanting to fight the same trio over and over.

It doesn't seems like he's looking to chase for the title again.

He also doesn't show signs of wanting to fight an up and coming fighter like Gaethje did with Fiziev

The only activity he had showing an interest in fights was talking about a Conor 4th fight and an hypothetical Nate Diaz fight at UFC 300.

Now it's not bashing because I like Dustin and his career was amazing. But is he maybe just holding off for a couple more big fights with name recognition and planning to call it a day after that ?

If yes there isn't many realistic fights for him out there tbh. Maybe RDA ? Don't see what else if it's his current mindset

Career done? No. He still an exciting fighter.

Chances for being Champion done? Yes. He's not a Champion-level fighter, one tier below.

I would not pick anyone to beat him except those that already did plus Islam and I still want to see that fight just to be sure.

For money fight, Poirier-Fiziev is an obvious crowd-pleaser. For contender aspirations, he'd be another fun opponent for Tsarukyan and would clarify his standing in the top 5 if that is where he hopes to stay. He seems like he's a fight away from retirement though. Not sure what he's got planned next.

He said he'd only fight big names.

So my guess is he fights

1) Diaz if he comes back to the UFC

2) Oliveira for a rematch

3) A top featherweight who moves up to LW

Career? Nah. He can still fight good fights. But he needs to stay away from the title. Fight lower down the top 10.

Why would it be? What a silly question.

Even if he dont go for the title again he can have good money fights. Very entertaining to watch,tough as nails.

Its like saying is Justin's career done if he fights Islam and loses.

Who cares? ill always be down to watch either of these guys bang. I'd even watch a rematch between them.

Back