Is Jordan B Peterson's new website idea an atrocious one or reasonable one?

Shitcan all of sociology and anthropology?

He's gone full fucking quack. Which was kind of inevitable, but he'll argue himself out of relevance soon enough.

Funnily enough, I did one year of Anthropology at Uni, and the lecturer was explicitly oriented towards the philosophy of Heidegger.
Which really isn't at all in keeping with the Frankfurt school's "Cultural Marxism" (and not just because Heidegger was, literally, a Nazi).

He monetized his YT site too, no? He's probably around a $million for the year with that, Patreon, speaking fees, etc.
I don't think he's making quite that much but he's making more from his status as a so called public intellectual than he did as a professor.

His YouTube videos have made your life better?

Lol

Why is that lol worthy hes got a lot of videos that will give ya some food for thought and make ya think about the world and how you interact with it. I find his lectures to be a positive experience in my life as well.

If there's one thing that I'd criticize Peterson about, other than some of his inconsistencies, it's that he's probably a bit too much of an idealist to achieve the practical results that he desires.

From reading this thread, it's pretty obvious that he has become a polarizing personality between the right and the left because of the way that he has laid out his arguments. Which is not necessarily the reaction that he is seeking, but it's the one he's getting. He is being recognized as a threat on the left, so the idea of him being capable of building any sort of "common sense" dialogue between the two camps, is probably lost to him.

Putting yourself up as a "public intellectual" is pretty tough because the risk of being boxed in as a "left-wing" or "right-wing" guy is very high, therefore shutting yourself out from many people's ears, which is why "smarter" men than Peterson probably don't do it.

It's funny though, because I don't think it's really him that is polarizing. It's peoples reactions that end up polarizing. Also the natural consequence of the subject matter he has drawn a light to (that which ended up raising his profile as he was subject to the protesting of some activist groups)

He takes all sides into the equation and is unusually open with his reasoning so anyone regardless if they are left or right can find parts of their own perspective in what he says typically.

But as soon as anyone gets any sort of following then this will turn people off regardless of who that person is. But then they are really reacting to a reaction.

Most of people that protest the guy clearly haven't even listened to him.

I don't think he's making quite that much but he's making more from his status as a so called public intellectual than he did as a professor.
I forget we can google these things. He's probably in the 500-600k range.

Funnily enough, I did one year of Anthropology at Uni, and the lecturer was explicitly oriented towards the philosophy of Heidegger.
Which really isn't at all in keeping with the Frankfurt school's "Cultural Marxism" (and not just because Heidegger was, literally, a Nazi).
I think if Peterson had his way, anthropology would only be taught by Heidegger types.

Post modernism and far left progressivism have a titanic machine behind them pushing them upon the entire west. God forbid one man pushes back a little

Post modernism and far left progressivism have a titanic machine behind them pushing them upon the entire west. God forbid one man pushes back a little

That machine is invisible to most people

It's funny though, because I don't think it's really him that is polarizing. It's peoples reactions that end up polarizing.

He takes all sides into the equation and is unusually open with his reasoning so anyone regardless if they are left or right can find parts of their own perspective in what he says typically.

But as soon as anyone gets any sort of following then this will turn people off regardless of who that person is. But then they are really reacting to a reaction.

Most of people that protest the guy clearly haven't even listened to him.

He is not really a polarizing person, but the way he lays down his arguments is somewhat polarizing, and patronizing. A lot of people associate themselves amongst these "neo-Marxists" that he's talking about, so that's an immediate turn-off to a lot of people. They obviously don't see themselves as "neo-Marxists" but they do recognize the intellectual patterns within themselves that Peterson is criticizing.

If he was less of an idealist, he would be more careful of ringing any "alarm bells" that are in-built in people who received their education in left-leaning institutions.

Ultimately he's more of a "fighter" type than a "diplomatist". He has recognized a clear rival to his own ideological positions, and he is fighting it. As anyone should. But we are living in a china shop, and he's starting to come off as a rampaging bull.

He's probably one of the smartest people to constantly put themselves up for public scrutiny. Which might just mean that he's the dumbest smart guy around. Or the smartest dumb guy, whichever you prefer.

Is it fair to say he started off a lot more level headed than where he is right now.?

When he started off I remember a lot had to do with free speech and allowing others to have a platform even if you disagree with them. Currently he seems to be getting a bit wacky.

I think if Peterson had his way, anthropology would only be taught by Heidegger types.

Actually I doubt Peterson and Weiner would agree on much, but he used Heidegger's phenomenology as the basis for a critique of a subjectivist trend in Anthropology (social constructionism).

What the christ are you talking about?

Is it fair to say he started off a lot more level headed than where he is right now.?

When he started off I remember a lot had to do with free speech and allowing others to have a platform even if you disagree with them. Currently he seems to be getting a bit wacky.

I'd say the biggest threat for Peterson is that he begins to define himself and his ideology based on those whom he opposes. That's a loss by default for him.

I'd say the biggest threat for Peterson is that he begins to define himself and his ideology based on those whom he opposes. That's a loss by default for him.

Alright but do you think I made a fair point that he started off strong and is now entering wacky land

Alright but do you think I made a fair point that he started off strong and is now entering wacky land

I don't think he has entered wacky land yet, but I could see that happening. He is basically communicating with the most radical elements of the left and the right, being deemed as a villain to one, and a hero to the other. I'd be surprised if he can continue to be as intellectually flexible as he used to be, before he became a public figure.

Actually I doubt Peterson and Weiner would agree on much, but he used Heidegger's phenomenology as the basis for a critique of a subjectivist trend in Anthropology.
That's a little beyond where I'm at. Maybe next year.

I don't think he has entered wacky land yet, but I could see that happening. He is basically communicating with the most radical elements of the left and the right, being deemed as a villain to one, and a hero to the other. I'd be surprised if he can continue to be as intellectually flexible as he used to be, before he became a public figure.

But those people are the fringe and theyre equally as bad IMO

But when Peterson first came around he seemed much more level
Headed than what we see now.

But those people are the fringe and theyre equally as bad IMO

But when Peterson first came around he seemed much more level
Headed than what we see now.

You might think they're on the fringe, but I'm not sure if they're on the fringe in Jordan Peterson's environment. It could be that he is correct about fringe elements being given way too much emphasis, in the places where he works as a teacher. From what I understand, the University of Toronto is quite heavily left-leaning.

Back