Name Someone From "The Other Side" Whom You Admire

God awful president. Nice guy.
He was ahead of his time in a lot of ways. What we call fracking today was something that he was talking about during the 1970's as a means of gaining energy independence. Pretty good idea! He wasn't the best statesman though, and his communication skills were really lacking.

I can’t think of anyone on my side I admire

tenor.gif

1) Liberal, broadly speaking. I support maximizing freedom, equality under the law, and a market-based economy with regulations to protect workers, the environment, and consumers, and post-market redistribution to eliminate poverty. And I understand that the point of a market-based economy is that it leads to increased well-being (that is, I think markets are an effective tool rather than the Word of God).
2) Robert Nozick would be the thinker most opposed to my thinking that I most respect. Peter Kropotkin would be another one (though I give him a pass, as I think he didn't know how effective markets could be).
3) I think that while a lot of Nozick's ideas would lead to misery, that was not his aim, and he wrestled hard and intelligently with trying to fit right-wing libertarian thinking into a humanistic framework. Also evolved during his lifetime.
4) Anarchy, State and Utopia is his best-known work and something everyone should read.

hi all,

i admire George W Bush, i think.

i think he was the worst President of my lifetime, and the body of work he left behind really does eclipse anything our current POTUS is up to...but in every piece i've read about him, there is something guileless about his reasoning - and the catastrophic nature of his Presidency was never evident when he was Governor of Texas.

Mr. Bush seems like a genuinely nice guy.

- IGIT

hi all,

i think he was the worst President of my lifetime, and the body of work he left behind really does eclipse anything our current POTUS is up to...but in every piece i've read about him, there is something guileless about his reasoning - and the catastrophic nature of his Presidency was never evident when he was Governor of Texas.

- IGIT

. . . worst president of my lifetime . . . catastrophic nature of his Presidency . . .

you sound like a parrot

. . . worst president of my lifetime . . . catastrophic nature of his Presidency . . .

you sound like a parrot

hi deltapapha,

parrots say "worst president of my lifetime"?

i didn't know that.

still, i admire the former POTUS. he seems like a nice guy and i like that about him. the others (Don Rumsfeld...Mr. Cheney, the rest of them) seem alot like assholes.

- IGIT

@Daverisimo - So, that said, I'd be interested in seeing people:

1) Identify their own ideology as well as they can: Master Yoda ideology.
2) Identify someone as diametrically opposed to them as possible whom they admire: Darth Vader
3) Explain why: Because he kicks ass and wears a nice black suit.
4) If possible, recommend something to watch or read: Star Wars.

The Man in the Arena

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt, 1910.

Pat Buchanan.

Because unlike so many of his Republican bretheren, he was honest about his white supremacist ideals.

The Man in the Arena

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt, 1910.

"He said, I mean, he said he didn't do it!! He denies, he denies, I mea- he really denies. You have the fake med- so dishonest." Donald Trump-2017

hi all,

- IGIT

Imho he relied on his dad's staff.

The problem they were on the sidelines for 8 years and he wasn't his dad.

H.W. may have been the most qualified president to take office in regards to foreign affairs. He was a career politician that served in Congress, as an ambassador and head of the CIA before coming and active VP in and administration that was very active abroad. He worked with the Nixon administration and was integral to Reagan.

Basically IMO he could afford to have a Rumsfeld because he didn't need to lean on him or anyone as much as his son.

W appointed his dad's peeps but didn't have his dad's credentials and let them roam free a bit when he should have been relying more Powell.

Imho he relied on his dad's staff.

The problem they were on the sidelines for 8 years and he wasn't his dad.

H.W. may have been the most qualified president to take office in regards to foreign affairs. He was a career politician that served in Congress, as an ambassador and head of the CIA before coming and active VP in and administration that was very active abroad. He worked with the Nixon administration and was integral to Reagan.

Basically IMO he could afford to have a Rumsfeld because he didn't need to lean on him or anyone as much as his son.

W appointed his dad's peeps but didn't have his dad's credentials and let them roam free a bit when he should have been relying more Powell.

hello there PolishHeadlock,

that's a good summation of GWB.

i still remember HW setting up his son to meet with Prince Bandar, so the young candidate could learn a little about the Middle East.

i see GWB as an amiable guy who was in way, way, way over his head as POTUS.

- IGIT

hello there PolishHeadlock,

that's a good summation of GWB.

i still remember HW setting up his son to meet with Prince Bandar, so the young candidate could learn a little about the Middle East.

i see GWB as an amiable guy who was in way, way, way over his head as POTUS.

- IGIT

Word.

And sorry for all of my grammatical and spelling errors.

Back