International Russia vs. Ukraine Combat Megathread vol.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect choke off energy and supplies. Strike military resources, "settle in" (too tired to think of the correct word for this, but essentially) spend time there without engaging in mass casualties as a way to convince the citizens of Ukraine it's not an "attack on the people".

Perhaps after they choke off supplies, start offering their own supplies to citizens again as a way to show them they aren't their "against the people", rather against their leadership.

It's going have to be a weird approach to war. It absolutely can't be an all out slaughter like a traditional war. Their biggest obstacle is going to be convincing the populace. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

The main issue with that is how quickly their economy is cratering. Bank runs are coming, their (Russia's) populace back home is going to get REAL restless when the Ruble tanks even farther, store shelves start being empty, etc. The people fear the government and they can institute marshall law if needed, but doing that while waging a foreign war too? And marshall law or not, if people get desperate enough and don't have food on the table shit can go sideways for the Russian gov't back home very quickly.

Not saying you're wrong about the strategy that will be used. I tend to agree. But while in that scenario militarily time would be on their side to use that "soft siege" warfare (that's the only term I can think to use), time would be against them in every NON military way.

So yeah it will be interesting.

fark_GEirApMybCUTlc3EG7KKBu-dzvo.jpg

Cmon man.

Seriously.

The main issue with that is how quickly their economy is cratering. Bank runs are coming, their (Russia's) populace back home is going to get REAL restless when the Ruble tanks even farther, store shelves start being empty, etc. The people fear the government and they can institute marshall law if needed, but doing that while waging a foreign war too? And marshall law or not, if people get desperate enough and don't have food on the table shit can go sideways for the Russian gov't back home very quickly.

Isn't that already happening in the Ukraine

I suspect choke off energy and supplies. Strike military resources, "settle in" (too tired to think of the correct word for this, but essentially) spend time there without engaging in mass casualties as a way to convince the citizens of Ukraine it's not an "attack on the people".

Perhaps after they choke off supplies, start offering their own supplies to citizens again as a way to show them they aren't their "against the people", rather against their leadership.

It's going have to be a weird approach to war. It absolutely can't be an all out slaughter like a traditional war. Their biggest obstacle is going to be convincing the populace. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

So basically LnP or point fighting/striking.

He supposedly has around 650 billion $ of reserves.

This makes it like 4.5k per Russian...

Let's make it conspiracy, and say he actually has two times more. Still not much.

Poland, out of everyone, has slightly lower reserves per capital, and it's not going to endure it's entire economy getting crippled.

It's impossible for him to stock up on everything to outlast entire world that mostly has way healthier economies.

Russia is still very much net importer of food.

Don't really think it looks good for them.

Russia is a net importer of foods only dollar (ok, ruble) wise. And that is immaterial in this context. Calorically, they produce far more than necessary to keep everyone well fed. And they can (and do) produce the precursors (fertilizer, etc) necessary to continue their agricultural production. This isn’t China, with a bloated population and severely degraded and limited arable land. You will not starve Russia.

Folks are really underestimating how well prepared Putin is, and how focused his preparations have been for this goal.

He is already stocked up-there’s no stocking up to be done. In that, you are mistaken. We are talking the largest country in the world here, with a plethora of resources. Their low population density is a benefit, not a liability. He truly has prepared for most contingencies; did you know Russia has developed their own microchip industry, mostly for this goal?

I hope you do not see my post as promotional. It is just realistic. I think it is imperative that Putin is destroyed. He needs to hang from the end of a rope. I just believe we need to be clear eyed in how horrible getting there will be. Outside of an internal coup relatively soon, this will be absolutely awful.

Here's my question. If Russia wanted all of the cities, can they not take them? Or are they trying to attain control in a measured manner because they want Ukraine to become a resource to Russia, as oppose to a wasteland?
They might be able to take them all in due time. I doubt it. Urban warfare is a 'bitch' to fight in. The Ukrainians have the homebase advantage. Cover and concealment. Support from the local population. The Russians don't have shit unless they want to level the city with conventional bombing. I don't think Putin wants to be seen as 'that guy' who killed 3,000,000 innocent men, women , and children. Did the US take over Hanoi in 20 years of fighting in Vietnam? The North Vietnamese had a 'true' Army, Navy, and Air Force compared to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Russia has successfully invaded their neighbor and is slowly tightening a noose.
No, they have not. They have crossed the border, that is about it. They have not taken over a single city in 4 days of fighting. This 40 mile Russian convoy to Kiev is running out of gas and breaking down. The roads are blocked and probably mined leading to the city. Christ! Russians did a much better job of fighting the French (Napolean) and the Germans (Hitler) at one time. I'm really surprised at how much the Russians are sucking at this invasion. Poor leadership, poor training, outdated equipment, and lack of motivation. The Ukrainians are fighting for their lives, their city, and their country.

* "Why does the rabbit outrun the fox? The rabbit is running for its life, the fox is running for a meal."
No new armor, systems or weapons onboard that they might want to have a look at to see the capabilities of?
We already know the systems and weapons capabilities.

Not saying you're wrong about the strategy that will be used. I tend to agree. But while in that scenario militarily time would be on their side to use that "soft siege" warfare (that's the only term I can think to use), time would be against them in every NON military way.

So yeah it will be interesting.
Bitcoin seems to be on the rise. You think Russia will make the switch?

Isn't that already happening in the Ukraine

I guess I'm not totally sure what you're asking? The Ukrainian people are arming themselves and digging in to fight an invading army. How exactly does that compare to when I'm talking about the populace of the aggressor getting so fed up with their dictator tanking their economy that they turn on their own government?

What parallel exactly are you trying to draw here, because it sure seems like you're trying to compare an apple to a giraffe.

Holy shit, the legends were true :
Apparently the undercarriage (and the whole protection) of the BTR-80's is so bad and thin that the crews reinforce their seats with blocks of wood. I thought it was a joke..
Those poor bastards go into battle in a cardboard box.

I haerd something about these having some weir dopening that cook the occupants when its lits by moltovs

I guess I'm not totally sure what you're asking? The Ukrainian people are arming themselves and digging in to fight an invading army. How exactly does that compare to when I'm talking about the populace of the aggressor getting so fed up with their dictator tanking their economy that they turn on their own government?

What parallel exactly are you trying to draw here, because it sure seems like you're trying to compare an apple to a giraffe.
I was talking about you saying there are bank runs and long lines and scare supplies and food. That scenario is already happening in the Ukraine.

"soft siege" warfare .
<[analyzed}>

Well put.

You're right though, any time that passes that may be a benefit to his goals in Ukraine, are a detriment at home. He'd better hope that he has a contingency plan in place for his economy and social unrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back